Is there a way to know if this all in one power supply is safe?

Gabe3

2[H]4U
My friends HP all in one power supply went bad, I can't find one made by HP. I had him order this one cause it had 1 day shipping: https://www.amazon.com/7-45-0mm-Adapter-HSTNN-LA25-EliteBook-4-53-0mm/dp/B08ZKR2S4Y/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=HSTNN-CA25&qid=1632269598&refinements=p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sr=8-4

should I find a different one for him? 906329-002 is the hp part number. I found some that have HP logo on the sticker on amazon but I don't think they are actually original, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/HP-120W-19-5...rds=HP+120W+19.5V+6.15A&qid=1632337987&sr=8-3

the case and cable looks identical to the first one.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you sure that's the part number? I'm getting absolutely nothing on hp's site, even if I search using the almighty goog.

Oh, check the...service manual, I think. They sometimes list part numbers for accessories like power supplies. It might have something you can use to find the actual part. (Sometimes they list the part differently from what's printed on the part itself).

Oh, check the...service manual, I think. They sometimes list part numbers for accessories like power supplies. It might have something you can use to find the actual part. (Sometimes they list the part differently from what's printed on the part itself).
https://parts.hp.com/hppartsIGSO/Se...6B847&SearchIn=PartNumber&SearchPN=906329-002

I'm sure its the part number, on the sticker it says HP Part No: 906329-002

looks like they don't offer it for sale anymore. he might have the service manual, not sure.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
The big issues you might have are:
Wrong polarity: this could fry your laptop, so make sure it's correct.
Wrong inner or outer diameter on the plug: This may not be a big problem, as long as it's not too big or too small to fit. But if it fits but isn't quite the right size, it could be loose and/or not provide a solid electrical connection.

Looks like the voltage and current output are sufficient, though.

The labels show polarity.
1632366123346.png

Then just make sure volts, amps, barrel size are all similar. Easy peezy lemon squezy.

hes using the power supply in the first link. so far so good, I told him to keep an eye on it. since its not a HP and its got no reviews I was worried. he doesn't really have a choice though, you cant get the original anymore so they are all going to be some level of sketch. these things come out of china, who knows if they are gonna catch your house on fire.

hes using the power supply in the first link. so far so good, I told him to keep an eye on it. since its not a HP and its got no reviews I was worried.

If he received the exact power brick in the picture, then it is a genuine HP power adapter. However, if the power adapter he received was different, and it says something like "REPLACEMENT AC ADAPTER", then it is a bait and switch and the adapter should NOT be used and returned. All of those generic chineseium "REPLACEMENT AC ADAPTER" bricks are the same terrible PSU designs, just with different ends attached. They have a habit of forcibly detonating and usually taking out whatever is attached to them. I can't tell you how many of those shitty things I've had to replace for customers over the years, including a few laptops that got killed by them.

The reason that 3rd party sellers have started blacking out OEM labels is because of crackdowns on used/refurbished parts. Apple and other companies are strong arming ICE and other customs agencies to seize shipments of used/refurbished goods under the guise of them being counterfeit, because they don't want 3rd party sellers to sell stuff with their logo on it. So sellers started erasing, blacking out, putting stickers over, etc. brand labels to get around this.

Fun fact about HP and Dell power adapters: they're exactly the same. Made by the same company, the same internally, the only difference is what label is slapped on at the factory. If you can find the same or higher wattage power brick from either brand, it will almost always work. They come in common power tiers, which makes them easier to find.

40, 65, 90, 120, 150, 180 and 240W bricks are the most common, but there are a few weird ones between. Most use the same size barrel plug with a center pin, except the 40, 65 and rarely the 90W can come in the mini barrel with a center pin. The 240, 280 and 300W bricks can sometimes have larger barrels or a double barrel to spread the current out.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Back