Is there a way to install 32bit drivers on a 64bit vista?

darkpark

Gawd
I'm waiting for some parts to roll in from newegg which will be used to build an almost new rig (hard drives, processor and the sound card will be migrated to new rig) and the 64bit version of Vista seems the only logical choice since I'll have 4gb ram and two ati 4870 cards running in crossfire. all my components/peripherals will be fine except for my fujitsu scansnap fi-5110EOX2 scanner. Fujitsu doesn't offer 64bit vista drivers for it. Is there a way to get Vista64 to somehow except the 32bit drivers? I know that I'm grasping at straws, but I thought that I'd ask anyway.

When you get it, hook it up, turn it on, and go into device manager. You should see a yellow !. Right click and update driver, search automatically, then use 'check online'. Sometimes you get lucky.

Also, my version of Vista Business x64allows me to edit the sharing properties and add additional drivers, including x86, for people who share the devices, but are using another version of windows. But I don't know if it would let you print if you use it if you install the x86 version, but not the x64.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can load 32-bit drivers into an x64 OS at all. The "other drivers" are for people connecting to the machine if it is a print server.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can load 32-bit drivers into an x64 OS at all. The "other drivers" are for people connecting to the machine if it is a print server.

That's correct.

However, bigdogchris's suggestion to plug it in and let Vista search for a driver is also good.

Also, Vista x64 drivers are available, according to this page: Click Here

This is correct. Even if MS made it possible to use 32-bit drivers alongside 64-bit drivers your system would crash more than Windows ME on a Zip drive with the click of death.

It looks like Lepard has found drivers for you. If that somehow doesn't work and if you got a 32-bit copy of XP or Vista lying around then I would suggest VirtualBox (Free). Just install it, install Windows within, and setup your scanner within your guest. Great for when you don't want to dual-boot or revert back to 32-bit Windows.

Can't use 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit OS..I had to throw away my Logitech Webcam bought in 2005 when upgrading to Vista 32-bit. Then I nearly had to throw out my audio card when switching to Vista 64-bit, but I managed to find a leaked, private 64-bit driver beta :)
But try bigdogchris's suggestion..there might be a generic driver available...

well ;) you "can" load 32bit drivers in a 64bit kernel, but you need a wrapper kernel module. I don't think windows provides one

That's correct.
including x86, for people who share the devices, but are using another version of windows.
I stated that and I also stated I don't think it would even let you print if you just installed the x86.

I've built a new PC with Vista x64, but now I've got a key business apps that won't properly connect to existing printers because of driver problems.

1) Dual-boot. I think you can only work in one OS at a time. I can't reboot to go back and forth.

2) Virtual PC.
-- Is the virtual environment setup once, and then easily accessed any time it is needed in the future?
-- Is it easy to toggle back and forth between vista 64 & XP?
-- Is it true that the virtual environment is not able to define USB hardware connections separate from the host environment?

3) Is there another way to address this problem besides keeping a legacy PC for the one business app?

To the OP:

VueScan. http://www.hamrick.com/ It works -- got an old HP ScanJet to work under Vista 64bit, and produced better results with the thing than the bundled software ever did. $40 isn't much when you consider you're getting compatibility and a far superior scanning dialog setup. Make sure your scanner is on the supported list (download the test version first) but considering the extent of said list, it's kind of a given.

I've built a new PC with Vista x64, but now I've got a key business apps that won't properly connect to existing printers because of driver problems.

1) Dual-boot. I think you can only work in one OS at a time. I can't reboot to go back and forth.

2) Virtual PC.
-- Is the virtual environment setup once, and then easily accessed any time it is needed in the future?
-- Is it easy to toggle back and forth between vista 64 & XP?
-- Is it true that the virtual environment is not able to define USB hardware connections separate from the host environment?

3) Is there another way to address this problem besides keeping a legacy PC for the one business app?

VirtualPC is a free solution and should be fine for a single fairly undemanding application. Otherwise you want to consider something like VMware Workstation, which has better performance and integration with the host OS.

Yes, you only set up once -- just install XP, 98, Linux or whatever on the virtual machine like you would any other computer, then "start" it from the app and it will boot up and give you a "desktop on your desktop".

Toggling back and forth is as simple as switching windows.

So far as I know, either the host or the virtual machine can have a given USB device connected to them, but not both at the same time. So say you had a USB memory stick and plugged it in with the VM running, it would ask in a little dialog if you wanted to connect it to the host (Vista) or the "guest OS" (XP, 98, etc.).

VirtualPC is a free solution and should be fine for a single fairly undemanding application. Otherwise you want to consider something like VMware Workstation, which has better performance and integration with the host OS.
You left out the best one....VirtualBox. Oh, and it's free too.

Back