Is there a way to eliminate the XP startup screen?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Everytime i overclock, as soon as the XP startup screen begins (the one with the green bar that scrolls across the screen) my computer will lock up. Just want to try it with out that screen if possible?

I'm not sure if I understand your post completely, but it seems to me that if you're locking up at windows start-up, you're not going to have much luck with windows itself.

start from stock and work up in tiny increments and benchmark each time...find somethin stable or it doenst matter if u get past that windows screen

believe me, it's not the SCREEN that's crashing your computer ;)

Damned Norton (see link) - it is incompatible with SO many different programs. What the hell?!

Originally posted by Mad_Pyro
Damned Norton (see link) - it is incompatible with SO many different programs. What the hell?!

Um, why bother with it? I've been running several systems for several months, and one system for well over a year, with no active anti-virus software on any of them for more than a few weeks. I've never had a virus, and I have used the online virus checker to make sure. Unless you have a sibling, parent, or room mate who is really stupid, NAV is just going to waste everything on your computer.

Originally posted by newls1
Everytime i overclock, as soon as the XP startup screen begins (the one with the green bar that scrolls across the screen) my computer will lock up. Just want to try it with out that screen if possible?

Perfect example as to why it's not good to compare post count to computer skills.....
Downclock your computer before you fry something. If the system won't boot past that menu, it means there is something wrong with the clock speed (I only say that because I know you overclocked it.) Had you not overclocked it and that was happening, perhaps there would be something else wrong.

My suggestion, is that you learn what you are doing with the overclock before you land yourself with a hunk of useless metal.

Ah, well said, exactly the reason I don't overclock (yet), I'm not comfortable with myself, I fancy myself a decent tech, but I haven't learned enough about OVerclocking (IMHO) to mess with it yet...It sounds so good and so easy, but anytime you equate the Windows Start-Up Screen to your Overclocking Woes, it's time for you to reset the CMOS and read some [H]ardcore threads for a while...

Reset CMOS, make everything stock, wipte the drive, reinstall XP see if it boots, if not run MemTest86...and go from there...

Originally posted by DubOSv10
Ah, well said, exactly the reason I don't overclock (yet), I'm not comfortable with myself, I fancy myself a decent tech, but I haven't learned enough about OVerclocking (IMHO) to mess with it yet...It sounds so good and so easy, but anytime you equate the Windows Start-Up Screen to your Overclocking Woes, it's time for you to reset the CMOS and read some [H]ardcore threads for a while...

Reset CMOS, make everything stock, wipte the drive, reinstall XP see if it boots, if not run MemTest86...and go from there...

Unless you go nuts, you aren't going to fry hardware ocing. Just a little instability, possibly a need to reset the CMOS... Give it a go, man. ;)

Hrmmm, well I am getting a couple of AMD Athlon 2500+ Bartons paired with the NFS-7...
I got some XMS Ram lying around...2700 stuff...

What do you suggest my cooling be? I might give it a go...

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
Um, why bother with it? I've been running several systems for several months, and one system for well over a year, with no active anti-virus software on any of them for more than a few weeks. I've never had a virus, and I have used the online virus checker to make sure. Unless you have a sibling, parent, or room mate who is really stupid, NAV is just going to waste everything on your computer.

THREADJACK:

Not running AV software, in todays world is a mistake. Espically since most of it's free now adays since we live in an unsafe world.

Espically since you don't want to be the one infecting your neighbours computer...

(My Roomate used to refuse to run virus protection, and then all the other computers started complaining he was trying to give them nimda. He started running A/V software the same day... )

Originally posted by Ranma_Sao
THREADJACK:

Not running AV software, in todays world is a mistake. Espically since most of it's free now adays since we live in an unsafe world.

Espically since you don't want to be the one infecting your neighbours computer...

(My Roomate used to refuse to run virus protection, and then all the other computers started complaining he was trying to give them nimda. He started running A/V software the same day... )

Doesn't really matter. I'm behind a firewall, if something starts trying to get out of my LAN, I'm going to know about it. Besides, I use the NAV online scanner regularly, so I know there isn't anything supicious on my machine. NAV KILLS performance, at least on my main machines, to the point where it really isn't worth it. When I decide to spend money on server level OS and software, I'll definatly be getting NAV for it. Until then, I haven't had a single virus on any computer I've operated for the past 3 years.

The difference between your room mate and I is, I know there isn't anything major on my machines, and I check regularly. :) If I find something, I will format all of the drive in that machine, check the rest of my network, and start over. :)

Hrmmm, well I am getting a couple of AMD Athlon 2500+ Bartons paired with the NFS-7...
I got some XMS Ram lying around...2700 stuff...

What do you suggest my cooling be? I might give it a go...

I would say go with an SLK 800A or something beefy like that if yo plan to OC. Otherwise, spend the extra $5 per CPU and get Retail package, and use the Retail HSF with the Barton. :)

Back