Is there a way I could setup access to my home

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
I'm looking to have the ability to access my home network from outside of my home, primarily to access files on my server and have the ability to connect to machines on the network to troubleshoot remotely. My home network consists of a Verizon FiOS 35/35 connection with the Actiontec router at the head of the network. Not to go off topic, but I'm not looking to reconfigure it all around since I have the DVR service. Thanks! ;)

Is there a way I could setup a VPN or something so I can connect to my home? What would I need equipment-wise? I'm a bit new to this sort of stuff, so please bear with my n00bness lol.

Thanks!

I'm looking to have the ability to access my home network from outside of my home, primarily to access files on my server and have the ability to connect to machines on the network to troubleshoot remotely. My home network consists of a Verizon FiOS 35/35 connection with the Actiontec router at the head of the network. Not to go off topic, but I'm not looking to reconfigure it all around since I have the DVR service. Thanks! ;)

Is there a way I could setup a VPN or something so I can connect to my home? What would I need equipment-wise? I'm a bit new to this sort of stuff, so please bear with my n00bness lol.

Thanks!

Budget ?

You could build a Pfsense box, untangle box, astaro box etc etc.

Budget ?

You could build a Pfsense box, untangle box, astaro box etc etc.
Well I don't really have a set budget yet, as I'm just trying to figure out if what I want to do is possible with my configuration at home right now. If I had to put a number out there
for a pfsense box for example (if I can use one in my situation), I'd be willing to go up to $400

Here's what my home network looks like right now:
6325439885_7df133fdf0_z.jpg

I know that there are ways to rewire everything so that the Actiontec router from Verizon isn't at the head of the network, but I honestly don't want to be bothered changing that all around right now. I have to have it on the network for the DVR and to maintain the on screen menu for the TVs.

Could I add a firewall box as you've suggested behind the actiontec or would that be pointless?

Last edited:
Well I don't really have a set budget yet, as I'm just trying to figure out if what I want to do is possible with my configuration at home right now. If I had to put a number out there
for a pfsense box for example (if I can use one in my situation), I'd be willing to go up to $400

Here's what my home network looks like right now:

I know that there are ways to rewire everything so that the Actiontec router from Verizon isn't at the head of the network, but I honestly don't want to be bothered changing that all around right now. I have to have it on the network for the DVR and to maintain the on screen menu for the TVs.

Could I add a firewall box as you've suggested behind the actiontec or would that be pointless?

You would put the firewall in front of your netgear, then turn off dhcp on the netgear :)

The netgear is a switch... :D

Right now the actiontec router (192.168.1.1 in the diagram) does DHCP and all. It's there for moca for the STBs (DVR boxes). I'd like to leave it at it's current location if possible...

You could try TeamViwer but I think it will complain about 2008 server

Do you need direct access to all your machines or just one/some? The easiest would be to setup ssh or rdp to one machine and then jump internally to the others as needed.

The biggest issue with rdp that I've found is the crazy amount of hack attempts. I've had to modify my potty forwarding rules to only allow certain ip addys like my work and what not. I'm in the process of setting up a Cisco Asa router so I can VPN into my home network

I'm not sure the hack attempts go down that much either way. I use ssh and rdp over ssh to hit my home box as needed with a key. I can see all sorts of attempts, but as far as I can tell, none have been successful.

Windows Mesh.
I used to do port forwarding, direct RDP, VPN, all sorts of things an network engineer can do, etc.
Just...so easy with Windows MESH..excellent performance too. No port forwarding, no worrying about IPs, etc etc. Easy..just so so easy.

I guess connecting to just one machine on the internal network would be okay... so no linux firewall box?

I'm not sure the hack attempts go down that much either way. I use ssh and rdp over ssh to hit my home box as needed with a key. I can see all sorts of attempts, but as far as I can tell, none have been successful.

by looking at my firewall logs (wrtg54gl + tomato) I get hit with RDP attempts about 20 times/minute from multiple sources..

until I realized that this was sometimes flooding my workstation...I didnt realize that I should restrict port forwarding to only allow certain IP's in...

you should have seen my system log on my computer.....

Just put a router in front that can do a VPN. Unless your file server is Windows Server then you can do PPTP. Can also use Hamachi.

Back