Is there a true budget 120hz 4k TV on sale this year?

Maddnotez

Limp Gawd
Looking to get a new TV but the research has been seriously killing me.

TL;DR companies are advertising their TV's at 120hz which is completely false. Using buzzwords like Motion rate.

I am looking for a 50" - 65" TV for under $600 but I don't want to buy junk. Is 120hz really a big deal? If so is there even a TV with true 120hz in this budget?

Ideally I would love a 55", 4k, HDR, 120z, Roku TV but I am just not sure if this exists.

There wont be any with 4K 120Hz until HDMI 2.1 or one uses DP 1.4.
There are none.

My 4K TV does 1440p 120Hz btw.

Yeah, TVs that do 1080p or 1440p inputs at 120hz are pretty common, BUT they are not cheap.

Its going to take YEARS for TVs to do that affordably at 4k. Not to mention the GPUs are going to have to catch up.

You're going to find it hard to find a TV that size for that price with 120hz 1080p mode.

It's just one chipset generation- so maybe next years models.

What part of my post about affordability did you not read?

It took FIVE YEARS for decent quality 4k TVs above 55"
at 4k 60hz to fall below the $1000 mark. It will take a similar amount of time for 4k 120hz to fall in price (since it's cutting-edge technology).

We will probably get official HDMI 2.1 TVs (not half-assed like the Samsung 8k TV) next year, but they won't be cheap.

It's not just a matter of chipsets that are adding to the costs - it's the various compromises and design choices you have to make to get a monitor that large with that many pixels to respond in under 8ms, while still doing movies and TV shows beautifully.

Last edited:
What part of my post about affordability did you not read?

It took FIVE YEARS for decent quality 4k TVs above 55"
4k 60hz to fall below the $1000 mark. It will take a similar amount of time for 4k 120hz to fall in price (since it's cutting-edge technology).

We will probably get official HDMI 2.1 TVs next year, but they won't be cheap.

What part of mass production do you not understand?

55" TVs are mass produced. Anything above that incurs a significant increase in cost. That makes sense; these are large panes of glass.

Now we're talking about ASICs instead, and when that's the only thing they're making, economy of scale kicks in.

Your example is probably correct, but it doesn't make for a good comparison, and really, I prefer to think a bit more positively ;)

What part of mass production do you not understand?

55" TVs are mass produced. Anything above that incurs a significant increase in cost. That makes sense; these are large panes of glass.

Now we're talking about ASICs instead, and when that's the only thing they're making, economy of scale kicks in.

Your example is probably correct, but it doesn't make for a good comparison, and really, I prefer to think a bit more positively ;)

If you think that a brand-new interface standard like HDMI 2.1 is easy to mass-produce starting next year, I have a bridge to sell you. That is part of the reason for the two + year delay for PC monitors fed by DP 1.4 (and their gargantuan cost once available).

Any time there is a big change in interconnect standards, it always takes the world a bit to catch up. See the mess that is USB-C/TB3, all the high prices for various docks and devices.

HDMI 2.1 has a similar shakeup over HDMI 2.0. And every time we take a huge jump like that, it will take years for the mass-production of all the associated ASICs to catch up (you didn't think there was just one in each TV, did you?)

And even if the costs are minimal, the TV makers will all universally charge a premium for new technology. The day that TV manufacturers will let a new premium feature out the gate for less than the cost of last-years model...well, where was that bridge I was selling again?

TV OEMs MAKE NOTHING on entry-level models.

Any time there is a big change in interconnect standards, it always takes the world a bit to catch up. See the mess that is USB-C/TB3, all the high prices for various docks and devices.

Also not a great comparison: USB was pre-fragmented Linux-style, while HDMI has a controlling body and standard. Once the ASIC(s) are ready, that will be that.

Also not a great comparison: USB was pre-fragmented Linux-style, while HDMI has a controlling body and standard. Once the ASIC(s) are ready, that will be that.

And you think that mass production will just ramp-up tomorrow then, for the dozens of different high-speed ASICS need to make every TV work?

Because yes, they will need to update ALL OF THEM. And figure out how to mass-produce them, and then mass test them.

Call me back when you learn how hard it is to mass-produce MULTIPLE cutting-edge parts. And to come up with new automated tests for all these new parts.

The reason it takes years to get these thing s cheap is because you can't move mountains in a single month. There isn't just "a single chipset" you need to upgrade to update a TV's refresh rate - you have to update a whole mess of parts.

And you think that mass production will just ramp-up tomorrow then, for the dozens of different high-speed ASICS need to make every TV work?

Because yes, they will need to update ALL OF THEM. And figure out how to mass-produce them.

Call me back when you learn how hard it is to mass-produce MULTIPLE cutting-edge parts.

I think as soon as it's ready it'll be widespread quickly. There's nothing new here- HDMI is now using DP-style signaling and DP is already doing 4k120. The layer 1 and layer 2 stuff is sorted. They simply have to choose to produce it. That's a production strategy more than anything else.

The Korean Mango 43" does native 4k120 and is a lot of fun paired with a 2080ti

It can be had for under $900

120Hz would be wasted at 4K. Unless you have a really killer system, it will be difficult just to get to 60 fps in new games.

120Hz would be wasted at 4K. Unless you have a really killer system, it will be difficult just to get to 60 fps in new games.
Mouse response and screen delay are much quicker at 120Hz regardless of frame rate.
I'm fine with 60Hz (on my TV) but it is a nice extra when I use 120Hz.

Back