Is there a RAID 1 DAS enclosure w/ NVME slot?

UnknownSouljer

[H]F Junkie
Pretty much the OP.

But for clarification, I'm looking for a DAS that supports 2x 3.5" drives and 1x NVME. I would prefer it to be Thunderbolt 3. But USB 3.2 Gen 2 would also be 'okay'.

The application is I do video editing, RAID 1 is obviously for redundancy. The NVME slot, would hopefully be a smart slot in the pool to (automatically) and temporarily move files onto to speed up editing.
The other part of the application is for travel.

Anyway, I don't think this exists, even though the direct application exists for me and a lot of other video shooters/editors that need to work on the road and want to have to manage things less. (There are arrays for much larger productions like from G-Technology, but not a relatively small and compact solution for small productions).

(And also for reference, yes, I have a separate external NVME drive to edit off of, and slow passport drives for long[er] term storage. The point is to have a faster overall setup and have all of the duplication tasks be automated, as well as not have to move things onto the NVME and onto slow drives back and forth manually constantly, to be able to have an easy way to transport much larger, much more dense 3.5" drives, and also to have less headaches and less to manage).

Last edited:
It does not. I checked OWC almost immediately. And Akitio also doesn't have a product to meet that classification.

I tend to not like buying OWC's systems, mostly because they are ultra reliant on SoftRaid, which they clearly think is the best solution ever, as even their empty $3000 'all-in-one' Thunderbolt unit they have refused to put in hardware RAID. Which to me is insanity and completely unjustifiable. But maybe I'm wrong and software solutions are the best thing ever.

It does not. I checked OWC almost immediately. And Akitio also doesn't have a product to meet that classification.

I tend to not like buying OWC's systems, mostly because they are ultra reliant on SoftRaid, which they clearly think is the best solution ever, as even their empty $3000 'all-in-one' Thunderbolt unit they have refused to put in hardware RAID. Which to me is insanity and completely unjustifiable. But maybe I'm wrong and software solutions are the best thing ever.
Gotcha. If anyone would have had a solution that is legit, it would have been them. :(

As far as raid is concerned, hardware is always better than software (just like a gpu), but the benefit of a software raid is that as long as it is something industry standard like mdadm, then the failure of a hardware controller will not make the raid unrecoverable. That's the only real benefit of a software raid. And that being said, most of today's nas units use a software raid vs a hardware one. In fact, many of the 'roll your own' nas setups like truenas, freenas, etc do the same.

I think it sounds like you need some sort of zfs storage pool with an nvme slog drive (I think that's what its called?), or one of the 10Gb+ ready or pcie slot nas units that have this type of capability. I know qnap's have this type of caching and it is easy to set up. They also have pcie slots available so you can add a 10Gb/25Gb+ card to have a fast connection to your workstation. And there's even 2 bay units that can do this, sort portability would still be possible. Just some food for thought.

Back