is there a plasma panel for computer monitor?!

freestonew

Weaksauce
hi all.

do they make any 24" to 30" plasma panels for computer monitors?! if not, they should!!

This afternoon I was again at Best buy and i watched for a while one of those 50"
plasma flat panel TVs. Incredible.

the prices have gone down a lot, lately.

What I notice, and for me this is important, I can look at this panel endless amount of time with zero eye stain, as I have trouble with the fluorescent "tubes" lighting in lcds.
I cannot look at any fluorescent light very long without strain, unless I turn the brightness way way down.

so are there any such critters as a plasma display for computers? Oh I suppose one might use a 40+ inch tv...I wonder how that would work? Anyone here have any plasma experiences with their computer?

thank you, freestone

There are some inherent limitations for plasma displays when applied to be used as a computer monitor.

Plasma cannot scale down very well and maintain a high PPI relative to LCD screens for instance. A 24 inch plasma screen cannot have a resolution of 1920x1080. Even a 30 inch I believe is not big enough to do so.

They also suffer from the potential burn in issue, and if used as primary computer display which requires prolonged times of large static images, especially for UIs, this becomes problematic.

You can use a plasma TV as a computer display, actually any modern TV can as they can accept the same digital inputs (with adapters if needed). However I would not recommend one as a primary display due to the burn in issue, unless you want to manage it very carefully. Many people however use one as a gaming/media display off a computer. Make sure the actual TV you use is suitable as well, since you will want one with less post processing (or the option to disable them) as this tends to be a drawback when used with a computer.

The closest you can get is the 42" Panasonic commercial / professional plasma display: http://www.panasonic.net/proplasma/products/index.html. Plasma is obviously far less popular than LCD, and the smaller screen sizes are less economic. 37" versions were abandoned ages ago and it's a little surprising that Panasonic still offer 42" screens. It's a pity, but I guess there was little incentive for the R&D teams to try and increase pixel density in order to make smaller screens.

As was mentioned, high DPI plasmas are unheard of (no 24" 1080p/1200p, yet alone the dpi of LCD's like Dell's U2711), and they are poor choices for computer use where persistent static elements can damage the display.

Plasma for watching TV and movies = ueber-win.
Plasmas as computer monitors = failsauce.

looking forward to the day where flawless monitors that have perfect color gamuts, million to one black levels, a viewing angle of 180 degrees, in a 27 inch size, 1440p resolution, for a hundred bucks.

looking forward to the day where flawless monitors that have perfect color gamuts, million to one black levels, a viewing angle of 180 degrees, in a 27 inch size, 1440p resolution, for a hundred bucks.
180o? Pshh, you're thinking small. You need 360o viewing angles like in Avatar.

Back