Is there a planned AMD CPU price cut in the near future?

geepondy

n00b
I'm all set to push the button on a Phenom II 945 which is the fast CPU my AM2 mb will accept but wondering if there was a planned AMD CPU price cut in the near future? The is $150 at SuperBiz which is a good price.

I'm all set to push the button on a Phenom II 945 which is the fast CPU my AM2 mb will accept but wondering if there was a planned AMD CPU price cut in the near future? The is $150 at SuperBiz which is a good price.

I don't know about any future price drops, but.... right now SuperBiz has a $15 off coupon available "fresh15", which makes the 945 $135 shipped.

I wouldn't assume they will until their hexa-core which will be much cheaper than Intels hexa-cores(in theory atleast they need to to be competative)

Wow, thank you very much for the coupon code! Just ordered. What a great way to extend the life of a system for a year or two.

HA if you looked recently PRICES HAVE GONE UP thank you intel ... note black edition 720 box has gone up

all depends on the e-tailers.. some are price hording and raising prices and some are lowering them.. though the majority of prices will continue to drop as the year goes on.. im still kinda surprised AMD hasnt released a higher clocked x3 and discontinued the x3 720 yet..

I'm waiting for the C3 revision to start saturating the retail channel. Otherwise the prices are pretty good right now.

I've seen in the past, don't know if it's still true or not, but Intel will have scheduled price cuts generally known ahead of time and then AMD has no choice but to follow. That's why I originally asked the question but I'm very happy to get the 945 for $135. Thank you again vista_blista.

HA if you looked recently PRICES HAVE GONE UP thank you intel ... note black edition 720 box has gone up

Yeah kinda crazy that the 720 box is at $165 on newegg the same price as the 955 C2 now. Though at least the OEM version is at $109.

Ouch on that 720... my retail one was $145 on release day (checked my newegg invoice price, this doesn't take into account the discount for buying the CPU in combo with my motherboard)

retail boxes are generally always over priced.. some ones gotta pay for that hunk of aluminum crap heatsink.. :p

I bought my 720 for ~$135 a month or 2 after launch. I put the stock fan on my dad's OEM Athlon II 240 a couple months ago. I'm waiting for the x6 chip. If it kicks ass and doesn't cost arm+leg+1/2 pancreas, I'm going to pick it up.

I doubt it, considering how insanely awesome amds prices are compared to intels.

Have you guys seen the prices of the new dual core i5's and i3's? LOLOL who the eff would pay 300 dollars for a dual core, for that price you can get a 955-965 C3 and 790GX mobo, with room to spare if you go with a good combo deal. Or a 955C3, 785G board, and have 50 left towards your memory before you hit the cost of the top i5 dualie. Pretty much every new dual core i5 costs more than the C3 955, most cost more than the C3 965, and the 300 dollar one is just wtflol. Sorry hyperthreading doesn't make a dual core faster than a real quad core ;) I mean the 4 CPU load boxes in the windows task manager sure looks pretty, and makes it feel like a quad core, but its still just 2 cpu's! Note for games its often recommended to disable HT to improve performance (of course its great for other stuff but still nowhere near better than a quad core).

Yeah AMD is doing fine on prices. If I need a budget build Ill get an X4 620 Propus, good heatsink to bring it to 3.4-3.6ghz, and 785G mobo, for less COMBINED than almost every new intel dual core chip just released bahaha

The best price cut is smart shopping or ebay. Usually you can set newegg to auto notify if there are drops in prices or deals for the certain item you want.

Back