Is there a PCI-express 16x to 8x agp adaptor?

CSx-2011

[H]ard|Gawd
Would it be possible to put an 8x agp 6800ultra on a pci express slot?

Some sort of bridge chip/card.

well considering that ATI is just bridging there AGP to PCIxpress it might be possible but it will be at castrated speed and you won't be able to use the SLI feature.

Craz_3 said:

should rephrase... on the horizon?

SLI isnt an option anyway... The board in question has 1 16x PCI express slot... and I dont have an extra $500.

HSI bridge chips that plug into 16x pci?

How much bandwidth does 8X AGP have? pci express?

Nvidia? anyone?

Godmachine said:
well considering that ATI is just bridging there AGP to PCIxpress it might be possible but it will be at castrated speed and you won't be able to use the SLI feature.

I believe it was Nvidia who was Bridging while ATI was the first to have a native card.

Has anyone seen yet, a good comparison between two of the same cards on diff busses? e.g. x800 PCI-x and an x800 AGP? I REALLY WANT TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE in performance. I mean, they could use similar CPU's to make that a constant variable... I just really want to know how muhc of an advantage PCI-x really is.

yeah nvidia took a more cautious appoarach and is using bridge, while ati is native.

krizzle said:
Has anyone seen yet, a good comparison between two of the same cards on diff busses? e.g. x800 PCI-x and an x800 AGP? I REALLY WANT TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE in performance. I mean, they could use similar CPU's to make that a constant variable... I just really want to know how muhc of an advantage PCI-x really is.

This is the closest thing I could find for ya http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/r423/

Remember that they are running different Intel cpu's with different chipsets, one card is oc'ed to match clock/memory speeds, and pci-e is still very new and not optimized.

It looks like, as many have said, pci-e only gains an advantage at super-high resolutions and max detail and high AA/AF when massive amounts of data are moving back and forth on the graphics bus.

Godmachine said:

1. nVidia, not ATi, is bridging right now.
2. nVidia, not ATi, has SLI.

Back