Is there a "MAX" in the house?

Rafe

Limp Gawd
So, despite my UPS, a quick-zap lightning strike yesterday has caused some of the magic goo to begin oozing from the capacitors on my Epox 8RDA3+, resulting in absolute stability at stock speed (1.83GHz / 2500+), but no overclockability whatsoever (I'd been running at 2.3GHz for a year).

[everyone just pretend I did about fifteen minutes of Olympic-caliber swearing here]

So, because those mosfets by the CPU are hot little buggers, and so I'm given to wonder - with the utter goodness that is the MAX series with active cooling for the P4, does such an animal exist for us Socket A types?

no, not for socket A. i beleive i have seen an OTES type system on an A64 motherboard. but anyways socket A has always been viewed as a budget processor and the capacitors dont get as hot as a P4 system either.

I was afraid of that. Looks like I'll go with another 8RDA3+ [since NewEgg has them for $87 w/ free shipping ATM] and see about putting some RAMsinks or something similar on the MOSFETs.

i dont really know how much good that will do. your overclock won't be limited by the capacitors overheating. and besides, we all know ramsinks dont do shit. :D i figure as long as you have dual exhaust fans in the back of your case it should suck must of the heat from there.

and i believe there are only 3 reasons for the abit max3 for having the OTES system.
#1. in an effort to make it prescott ready (the specs werent exact at the time but they knew it would put more stress on the capacitors)
#2. people needed a reason to justify spending the extra $50 for a max3.
#3. it keeps the heat from the capacitors from entering the rest of the case and raising temps.

Back