Is there a huge New 3DS design flaw with the super stable 3D or it just me?

ShamisOMally

[H]ard|Gawd
So imagine my surprise after a whole day of playing Monster Hunter 4U when I decided to go to bed, laid down and started playing the game with me laying on my back when the screen started going bonkers.

Ghost images, blurring, rapid flickering etc you name it but the screen goes nuts as the super-stable 3D goes haywire.

You can try it for yourself, hold the New 3DS just like you're standing/sitting, then sitting on a bed and holding the New 3DS, slowly tilt backwards and lay down on your back while holding your system.

I find as soon as you get the screen near pointing upwards the ghosting/shimmering/blurring goes haywire non-stop until you hold the screen at a 35 degree angle again.

This leads me to believe that the super stable 3D is in some way tied into the accelerometer in the system, and when the system is held at such an angle the circuitry can't figure out where your head is vs the angle its being held at.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, its the same rapid flashing whenever the screen loses head tracking on you, except where that will last like a quarter second at the most, this keeps going none stop.

Can anybody else report on this and are they having the same issues?

EDIT Changing the slider from -.6 back to 0 it works fine, but when its in the negative I have to hold it almost arms length away from my head in order for it to focus, vs when sitting having it at half that length

Last edited:
I literally was just in GameStop checking it out. I asked the woman why the 3D is so bad. She seemed oblivious to what I meant

When I held it and moved my head it looked like a PC game running at a higher FPS than the refresh rate of the screen. Jerking, skipping, tearing etc. It was awful looking and unbearable to play.

Yeah its insane flicker, turns out the New 3DS has a sweet spot zone, you have to hold it a specific distance for a specific slider setting for it to work. its super distracting, hurts the eyes even. Feels like you're staring at a magic eye photo when its messing up

When its working its amazing though, but you have to hold it a set distance

I've had a 3dSxl since OoT was released. I've never been able to spend more the 15 minutes in 3d.

I picked up the new model this morning and have yet to turn 3d off. I do think it still has a sweet spot for eye tracking to work, but when it does it works great. When tracking goes out to lunch, it flickers bad. Way better than the old model.

I still have the old model. Played through Fire Emblem 3 times, Pokemon X/Y/Alpha/Omega, and a few other games, but what I'm getting at, is that my sessions are much longer than 15 minutes and always with the 3D on. I don't get headaches, my eyes don't hurt, I've played before I sleep, standing up, in a moving bus. I'll probably upgrade to the new 3DS for the new stick and amiibo/NFC. OP needs to see an optometrist.

Back