Is there a good way to do Windows Updates over the server?

kapkorn

Gawd
Okay so I am a technician here at the local city hall, and I want to make a reccomendation or a better idea to doing our windows updates on the PC's here. Is there a good way to do it without making the network crawl or having to log in as administrator to install the updates on 50-60 computers?

Thanks I ran through the FAQ and yanked out some key ideas to run by the network admin. I dont know if he will go for it, but its worth a shot I suppose. Its just a pain to install them manually when they take so long to DL and install and several of them have to be installed individually.

You can use "Automatic Updates" in the control panel as long as you are up to SP3. (Or 2 with an add in)
I've set it to "download and notify", then send out an "IS Tip" the Wednesday that updates come out to "click on the little Windows icon in the bottom right, by the clock"

I've found it to work for about 80% of my desktop users, the rest who don't pay attention get it forced through SMS.

Seriously, SUS is quality stuff.

A) It is free
B) It massively reduces the amount of administration and bandwidth needed
C) If you are running Active Directory, you never ONCE have to visit a workstation if they are all win2k or better, even during the inital rollout.
D) Very, very easy to use

Originally posted by TrueBuckeye
Seriously, SUS is quality stuff.

A) It is free
B) It massively reduces the amount of administration and bandwidth needed
C) If you are running Active Directory, you never ONCE have to visit a workstation if they are all win2k or better, even during the inital rollout.
D) Very, very easy to use

and,

E) profit!

:D

haha thats funny, im installing SUS on a new server for a deployment right now and have used it in the past and now there is a thread on exactly this. neat.

I emailed my supervisor about it yesterday to see what he thinks. I guess ill find out later. I figure its worth a shot :-p

Originally posted by kapkorn
I emailed my supervisor about it yesterday to see what he thinks. I guess ill find out later. I figure its worth a shot :-p
It would be negligent not to take advantage of the services SUS offers.

If your supervisor turns it down, rest assured that you are right and he is wrong.

Well we talked about it today and not only did he love the idea, he is now setting it as a high priotiry task.

We are just looking into it to make sure everything will work fine, what server we want to load it on, etc.

Thanks Guys.

I run SUS on my server. Automatically pushes any updates to all clients at 3AM every morning and does reboots (if necessary). I love it. Quality shit!

Agreed, I also run SUS..... several SUS servers in fact. It's just not smart to blindly deploy updates trusting that MSFT did a good job. IT is on one SUS server (we test the patches on our own workstations). A second line of SUS servers update the workstations at the various sites (It's just not cool to push across a 100Mb sp3 across your WAN links), and lastly, the servers have their own SUS server full of quality updates.

On a side note:

1. If you have any 2003 servers, check out Group Policy Mgmt Console.... it is WAY better than the stock GP snap-in.... and it's a free download from Microsoft. It makes linking/managing your GPOs much much easier.

2. If you don't do so already, check out the other cool things you can do with GPOs... like deploying software across your network in under 15 seconds.... you'll wonder how you worked without it =)

Back