Is there a faster version of mem test out there?

Omegaslast

Limp Gawd
Im running it right now and i basically need to test several sticks of memory i have... i was having memory problems with my OCZ sticks (comptuer was severely screwed up), so i bought two new corsair sticks on MONDAY (2x1gb ddr2 pc6400). My comp is still crashing just not as much i guess you could say, so i dl and run mem test and lo and behold im getting 1000+ errors on the 7th test and 100 on the 8th. I have errors per memory slot at 0: 532 1:442 meaning both sticks are screwed, correct?

I find it hard to believe that i have such bad luck with memory, seems more like my mobo may be screwed up, so i want to run it with several sticks i have lying around, but that just isnt possible when it takes 1+ hour for each run through.

anyone got suggestions?

Try the mem test with only one stick of Ram. If one passes then try the other. If they both pass then try alternate Mem slots. More then likely its an issue related to power for the ram--check the BIOS to ensure that the appropriate voltage is selected for the ram.

I would be interested in knowing what components you have as well.

if you are running memtest86+ it has the option to just run specific tests, you could set it just to run the tests (7 and 8) where the failures seem to be happening. I too doubt it is the memory.

The best mem test are they slowest ones. Extended/deep test find a lot of errors quick ones miss.

If you fail test 7 but don't fail test 5 or 3. Then the problem is probably the I/O between the memory and the L2 cache.

Test 7 is L2 Cache inclusive.

So that means bad settings on the motherboard, bad motherboard or bad CPU.

My standard is tests 1,2 one pass
test 3 for five passes
test 5 for twenty passes
test 7 for ten passes

That is my standard test for a normal configuration.

My overclocking stability tests are much longer and much more involved.

Back