Is there a difference between onboard sound solutions? Recommend

Dunno7

n00b
I have creative Gigaworks T20 Series II speakers. I game, watch movies and TV shows. I do video editing that involves voice recording. I'd like to avoid all those pops, crackles and so on. Is there a difference between some onboard solutions or they're all pretty much the same? I'm not an audiophile. If there is recommend me something. Or maybe some product lines are better than others

My new rig so far
GTX 1070
Skylake Intel Core i5-6600K
16 GB ram CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 DDR4
Samsung ssd 850 evo

Last edited:
Nope. You would not be able to tell any difference between a dedicated sound card vs on board (realtek alc1150 is pretty much standard on most boards) using those speakers.

If you really want something other then on board look into a usb DAC.

Nope. You would not be able to tell any difference between a dedicated sound card vs on board (realtek alc1150 is pretty much standard on most boards) using those speakers.

If you really want something other then on board look into a usb DAC.

So Asus' SupremeFX MSI' audio boost and Gigabyte' Creative SoundCore. They're all just marketing crap and there;s realtek alc1150 behind them with different implementation ?

So Asus' SupremeFX MSI' audio boost and Gigabyte' Creative SoundCore. They're all just marketing crap and there;s realtek alc1150 behind them with different implementation ?

pretty much, yeah. And if you're not an audiophile they'll probably all be fine. I'm not an audiophile either, I'm happy with onboard nowadays.

Never worry about the onboard sound. If it doesn't end up being good enough for you just get an external USB DAC.

Essentially, they're a Realtek chipset with an EMI shield and extra capacitors on the board. Some of them add in a headphone amplifier. I have a Soundblaster X-fi installed, but it's really only because I have more control over the sound via software than my onboard sound offers, not because the onboard sounded bad.

I was just worried about pops and crackles and stuff during the voice recording. Well if you guys say there's no difference. I'll take that on board. Thanks everyone

A few boards use the ESS Sabre 9018k2m DAC for stereo.
Its not a patch on the full blown 9018 chips but reviews suggest it adds a little twinkle to motherboard audio.
I wanted to do a direct comparison with an Auzentech Prelude but my mobo has no PCI slots, hmph.

I was just worried about pops and crackles and stuff during the voice recording. Well if you guys say there's no difference. I'll take that on board. Thanks everyone
Pops and clicks has to with your sample rate and buffer.
Typically, I always record AT LEAST 16bit /44k (CD quality) but 95% of the time it's 24/ 48k...but those are vocals for EDM tracks.
Just do some test runs and see, pardon me, HEAR how it goes.
Start at 16 bit 44k 256 samples
If you get pops and clicks, adjust the buffer to 512 samples
If youre still having issues, try installing the ASIO 4 ALL driver and repeat

What type of mic are you using? Might need to look at changing your mic or grabbing an anti pop filter.

Pops and clicks has to with your sample rate and buffer.
Typically, I always record AT LEAST 16bit /44k (CD quality) but 95% of the time it's 24/ 48k...but those are vocals for EDM tracks.
Just do some test runs and see, pardon me, HEAR how it goes.
Start at 16 bit 44k 256 samples
If you get pops and clicks, adjust the buffer to 512 samples
If youre still having issues, try installing the ASIO 4 ALL driver and repeat

I've tried the buffer size and ASIO 4 ALL to no avail. It only pops and stuff when I do a voice over while a video is playing in the same app such as Premiere. If i record in separate app there's no issue. So doesn't seem like it's got something to do with a mobo. I've got a motherboard from 2007. Asus p5b-e. More like an old PC problem.

Your onboard sound card shouldn't be popping and cracking. If that's the case you might buy a inexpensive sound card to test.

Maybe my system is too old to handle voice recording with a video playing in the same application. Hmmm

Maybe my system is too old to handle voice recording with a video playing in the same application. Hmmm
Whats your current system? Im guessing its not the i5/1070 setup?

It's a 30 dollar mic by genius rather old.

I'm not sold on it being a sound card issue. A old/cheap mic and popping sounds like a mic issue, not a sound card issue.

Do you get the same popping noise when listening to youtube videos (something that you didn't record. i.e.vevo videos)?

If not, it is likely a mic issue. If recording is a serious thing for you, then I would invest in a decent mic setup. Doesn't need to be overly expensive either. Something like a blue snowball ($45) with a pop filter ($10) will run you only $55 or cheaper if you buy used.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Whats your current system? Im guessing its not the i5/1070 setup?
No hahaha not yet.It's core 2 duo 3.0 ghz with a 550 ti and 8 gb of ram

I'm not sold on it being a sound card issue. A old/cheap mic and popping sounds like a mic issue, not a sound card issue.

Do you get the same popping noise when listening to youtube videos (something that you didn't record. i.e.vevo videos)?

If not, it is likely a mic issue. If recording is a serious thing for you, then I would invest in a decent mic setup. Doesn't need to be overly expensive either. Something like a blue snowball ($45) with a pop filter ($10) will run you only $55 or cheaper if you buy used.

Nope no popping sounds or anything. I know it's probably not a sound card issue. More like a very old pc issue or software related. I have gone through lots of troubleshooting to no avail though

the mic records fine if I do it in another app. Let's say I run a video in Premiere and record my voice in Audacity at the same time. No problem. If I record my voice in premiere or any other video app I've got crackles pops and stuff. That's the only time when it happens. In any other case there are no problems whatsoever

Yeah I heard about the snowball. I thought about it. I was just thinking about buying a shotgun mic so I could also use it with a camcorder. I haven't read much about it but it seems to be possible to hook it up to a PC

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally I'd avoid a USB mic as you might start to incur IRQ issues

Are your audio settings in Premier the same as your sound card? ASIO4ALL? (I've found this to create conflicts between my DAW and plugins)

Are there "draft" settings to view your Premier video while doing the talkover?
Could just be in those programs...Adobes stuff can be a bit of a cpu hog..
Especially since you're saying you don't get the same in Audacity when playing Premier

Back