Is there a device that can do the following over a network?

aakast42

n00b
I have a computer stuffed with tons of video and music. Off the top of my head it contains videos ranging from >30GB 1080i mpg and .ts files, 720P mpg and .ts files, XviD files of varying sizes (mostly DVD rips), some DivX (also mostly DVD rips), h.264/x.264/Nero Digital AVC files of resolutions as high as 720P (all use CABAC.. most are main profile there maybe 1 or 2 encoded in high profile). So along with the audio (FLAC, mp3, and AAC), again off the top of my head I have media in the following container formats: .ts, .mpg, .avi, .mp3, .m4a, .mp4. Also, I have a few DVD ISO's laying around.

I really, really don't want an HTPC in my TV room. I have no desire to have any PVR functions an HTPC may be able to perform or whatever. What I'm looking for is a box that can hook-up to a home theater system / HDTV and allow me to access and play the previously mentioned videos over a network.. canbe wireless g/n or 100/1000 ethernet... doesn't matter to me as long as it works. It seems like that is a tall order for an STB type of box but maybe there are boxes that one can somehow install additional codecs in order to play all of these media types?

Ideally, I picture a box with both ethernet and wireless options, an MCE interface or similar that makes browsing through available media easy, is a small form factor, doesn't make much if any audible noise, and has connections/ports for things like HDMI, SPDIF, component, composite, S-video, or some acceptable combination there of that can make the videos on a standard windows shared folder watchable. Is there such a device? Are the processing capabilities too do the h.264/x.264 and 1080i .mp and .ts files too much for anything but a true HTPC? Is there a way for the decoding to be done at the other end (the desktop) and have the video streamed raw over the network? I simply have no clue as to what types of devices are out there. Thanks in advance and I really apologize for my newbieness on the subject. I tried finding this info on my own but was either unable to understand what exactly certain devices did or became further confused.

Tomson

Weaksauce
I think he'd have trouble playing dvds over the network through an extender as they don't support vobs.

Have you checked out the popcorn hour or tvix products?

vischo

Gawd
I think he'd have trouble playing dvds over the network through an extender as they don't support vobs.

No but it should play the majority of these other filetypes he has :
mpg and .ts files,XviD DivX h.264/x.264/Nero Digital AVC FLAC, mp3, and AAC .ts, .mpg, .avi, .mp3, .m4a, .mp4.

LhasaCM

[H]ard|Gawd
You could also look into the Sage HD Media Extender (http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/m...e=SOS&Product_Code=STX-HD100&Category_Code=HD). That should work as well as the other extenders out there, but also would support DVDs ripped to the hard drive. $200 for just the hardware, $250 for the hardware/software (if you don't already have a current SageTV license).

(I haven't tried the HD extender - I had their SD extender in use a couple of years ago and it worked great.)