Is there a decent LogMeIn Free alternative out there?

TC10284

Limp Gawd
Searching for a LogMeIn Free alternative, if there is one.

Any suggestions?

...but logmein free is free....!!

No, I don't know of others. GoToMyPC is the only alternative I know of and it's not free.

I used and loved TeamViewer for a while as a remote support (person on the other side)...but one thing I noticed, after several months..they start "crippling" those users who haven't signed up for the pay for package, you'll start getting session disconnects after a set amount of time.

I suspect most of them are doing that. That's what has me fuming with LogMeIn Free right now. I used to be able to add users to my account, and control what computers they could access. Now they want $300 a year for that capability.

Too bad the company has no budget, I could probably get them to pay for it. Hence the reason I'm fuming..

You can do remote assistance to XP computers for free. It's built right into XP. It integrates with both Outlook and Messenger, and the user can initiate the request, or you can send a request to the user. It works pretty well.

You can do remote assistance to XP computers for free. It's built right into XP. It integrates with both Outlook and Messenger, and the user can initiate the request, or you can send a request to the user. It works pretty well.

Depends on how your users are connected to the Internet. If they are behind a non UPNP router, you're can be hosed.

I've used the free Hamachi client to work around that, but that's only free if you stay under 16 clients connected to your support network.

I've moved to using an Echoware setup, At the time it was only $30 for a personal/non-profit perpetual license setup. Its $50 now, but $350 for corporate use. On the plus side, you run all the components involved on your own stuff. teh client and server are very lighweight.

http://www.echogent.com/tech.htm#whatisechoware

Best $30 I ever spent for supporting the extended family. They download a preconfigured exe from my web site and run it, click allow on any firewall pop-ups, and their machine shows up in my remote control list, I double-click and I'm connected via a RealVNC based client, no muss, no fuss.

I uninstalled LogMeIn once I discovered the free Remote Desktop features built into Live Mesh. Works very well and as far as I can tell it works whether the client is behind a NAT router/firewall or not.

I uninstalled LogMeIn once I discovered the free Remote Desktop features built into Live Mesh. Works very well and as far as I can tell it works whether the client is behind a NAT router/firewall or not.

Does it require the person on the other end that needs your support to have an MSN account?

Does it require the person on the other end that needs your support to have an MSN account?

The person on the other end just needs to have Live Mesh installed and setup with one account, so I guess the answer to your question is no.

For example, I have a Live.com/Hotmail/MSN account that works with all Microsoft products/services. I use that to login to my Live Mesh account and install the client on all the machines I want control over.

In a way, its exactly like LogMeIn.

The person on the other end just needs to have Live Mesh installed and setup with one account, so I guess the answer to your question is no.

For example, I have a Live.com/Hotmail/MSN account that works with all Microsoft products/services. I use that to login to my Live Mesh account and install the client on all the machines I want control over.

In a way, its exactly like LogMeIn.

Hmmm....that's worth a peek then. Assuming it installs on servers? Are you stuck installing all those other Live services...toolbars 'n scrap I wouldn't want to install on servers.

UltraVNC w/ Single Click mod. Free and works on everything from 2000 to W7.

There's a client called Leaf, it's similar to Hamachi in that it uses a VPN, this is susceptible to middle man attacks. There's also another one that doesn't rely on a server to connect clients. It is entirely P2P. It's called LANoi or LAN On Internet.

Personally, I'll stick with UltraVNC myself. Small and you can throw it on a USB drive. There's really not much to figure out when using it, so probably better to take a few minutes and read up on it.

Back