Is there a current GPU that has a particularly high performance/price ratio?

The Wayfarer

Weaksauce
Every once in a while an item hits the market that has a particularly high performance-to-price ratio. I have been out of the loop for a few years now, so the most recent example I am familiar with was the 8800GT which, when it was released, offered performance that equaled or exceeded GPUs that cost much more - especially when they were overclocked. Other, non-GPU examples of this would include the old Slot 1 Celerons, 939 Opterons, et cetera. So, with that in mind, I pose the following question:

Is there a current GPU that offers a performance-to-price ratio that is significantly higher than other GPUs, or is the curve pretty flat across the spectrum?

Thanks for your output. :)

GTX 670 is good and HD 7850 at a lower price range. The 7850 overclocks pretty nicely.

Though IMO at the moment this is unbeatable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-N82E16814150588-_-na-_-na&PID=3891137

HD 7950 for 303.99 after MIR. This XFX overclocks pretty well.
I found a review of this exact card here:
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/xfx_dd_r7950_review,1.html

Impressive performance overclocked
index.php

and you might want to add a little bit more about what you consider a "current" card. The 6850 and 6870 are likely better deals but I don't know if you are considering those.

No. Absolutely not. 28nm GPU performance to price has been absolutely terrible up to this date.
The gtx670 is the best and it is rather poor in comparison to the 4870 during the 4870s heyday.

If you are looking for HD4xxx like pricing, you are out of luck.

Well, there is a 470 going in the [H] marketplace for $120 right now and $220 for both. Is there a card out there, either new or used, can be acquired for that same amount and provide better performance?

This is a nice read: http://www.overclock.net/t/1256780/brettjvs-470-sli-vs-670-bench-off-both-ocd-now-with-7970-ocd

Do note that he has a 800 core overclock on his 470s, which is roughly 480/570 performance. A 850mhz 470 is slightly below the level of stock GTX 580.

New, right this moment nothing beats the XFX 7950 deal mentioned above. All the hot new tech, low power, low noise, great performance.

Well, there is a 470 going in the [H] marketplace for $120 right now and $220 for both. Is there a card out there, either new or used, can be acquired for that same amount and provide better performance?

This is a nice read: http://www.overclock.net/t/1256780/brettjvs-470-sli-vs-670-bench-off-both-ocd-now-with-7970-ocd

Do note that he has a 800 core overclock on his 470s, which is roughly 480/570 performance. A 850mhz 470 is slightly below the level of stock GTX 580.

The interesting read you've posted to does lend solid validation to your statement :D Adding in the additional considerations of power draw, heat, and noise makes the SLI'ed 470's less compelling, though ;)

I don't know why people keep mentioning the GTX 670. That is nowhere near the best bang for the buck. Here is a chart normalized to the 670:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670/30.html

Those are using MSRP. If using a sale price obviously it will be different. The 7950 posted above is a good deal but there was a MSI 7770 a few days back that was $95 at Tigerdirect ($85 if paying with Visa) that I believe still had a better price to performance ratio than the 7950 deal.

I don't know why people keep mentioning the GTX 670. That is nowhere near the best bang for the buck. Here is a chart normalized to the 670:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670/30.html

Those are using MSRP. If using a sale price obviously it will be different. The 7950 posted above is a good deal but there was a MSI 7770 a few days back that was $95 at Tigerdirect ($85 if paying with Visa) that I believe still had a better price to performance ratio than the 7950 deal.

People are thinking of the cards that will let them play a wider range of things. 7770 is great for some things, but it's just not there for BF3, etc.

GTX 670 beat out the 7970 at my house!

I saw a newegg.com (business) running a coupon a week or two ago. Vanilla 670s were 360$ after coupon or something. If you are a little patient i'm sure something like that will come around again.

If your interest is ATI and your price is 300$ and under, I'd probably would recommend a 7950 those are pretty good price to performance.

People are thinking of the cards that will let them play a wider range of things. 7770 is great for some things, but it's just not there for BF3, etc.

You can play everything including BF3 with a 7770. You may not be able to set every detail to the highest possible on every game, but it will work.

Its the best performance to price ratio like the OP asked. He didn't ask which is the best video card available, then go one notch cheaper.

You can play everything including BF3 with a 7770. You may not be able to set every detail to the highest possible on every game, but it will work.

Its the best performance to price ratio like the OP asked. He didn't ask which is the best video card available, then go one notch cheaper.

It'll work and be a butchered comedy of what it is intended to be. The question is moot if the game isn't playable as intended. See my sig? Yeah, I have a 7770.

No it isnt a useless question.
The card can play BF3, obviously not at Ultra but in my SFF it plays BF3 nicely at Medium and the game looks great. Its not butchered unless you are an IQ whore in which case anything but the max wont satisfy you anyway.

You'll always get a better deal at the $250 and below price point. This is where I've bought 4 out of my last 5 cards.

You won't lose much (if any) image quality at the $250 block, unless you want to run higher than 1080p.

No it isnt a useless question.
The card can play BF3, obviously not at Ultra but in my SFF it plays BF3 nicely at Medium and the game looks great. Its not butchered unless you are an IQ whore in which case anything but the max wont satisfy you anyway.

Says the guy with the 7970 :rolleyes:

Useless question, it varies by how well you actually want to be able to run things.

No, not a useless question. How well a particular video card works depends, in part, on what detail settings you choose and a lot on what resolution you're using. While a 7770 does indeed work quite well at 12x10 resolutions, you wouldn't expect the same frame rates from a resolution like 19x12 or higher. And that's why you need to buy video cards by more than what game you play.....cpu, monitor resolution, etc. all play a part in determining the best value card for that particular computer.

No, not a useless question. How well a particular video card works depends, in part, on what detail settings you choose and a lot on what resolution you're using. While a 7770 does indeed work quite well at 12x10 resolutions, you wouldn't expect the same frame rates from a resolution like 19x12 or higher. And that's why you need to buy video cards by more than what game you play.....cpu, monitor resolution, etc. all play a part in determining the best value card for that particular computer.

Wow thanks for the primer on common sense. Seriously, nothing you stated was anything other than a verbose restatement of what I had already said.

I'd say the 670 is the best "bang for your buck" for high end cards, not as an absolute.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If there was ever a price : performance ratio king, it's the GTX 670.

Hell no, it's the best out of the 680/670/7970/7950 (assuming MSRP) but lower end cards are far better value for money. Also if you're talking historically then the 4850/4870 blows everything in the current generation out of the water.

Useless question, it varies by how well you actually want to be able to run things.

Duh, of course settings and resolution will effect how well things run!

The 7770 is capable of running the game. I haven't seen any evidence of any (new) videocard being better than a 7770. Kuhla made a good post but he only started from the 560Ti and excluded all lower cards. Some here already know the best performance to price ratio is on the lower priced cards. The OP never came back to answer if he considers 6850/70 and Fermi "current".

Everything you have posted in this thread has been useless. Read the OP.

Hell no, it's the best out of the 680/670/7970/7950 (assuming MSRP) but lower end cards are far better value for money.

It is out of that small subset but the person said it was the best, period. Which is totally wrong.

Duh, of course settings and resolution will effect how well things run!

The 7770 is capable of running the game. I haven't seen any evidence of any (new) videocard being better than a 7770. Kuhla made a good post but he only started from the 560Ti and excluded all lower cards. Some here already know the best performance to price ratio is on the lower priced cards. The OP never came back to answer if he considers 6850/70 and Fermi "current".

Everything you have posted in this thread has been useless. Read the OP.

It is out of that small subset but the person said it was the best, period. Which is totally wrong.

Some of you are so amazingly hyper-literal about things that you push into sheer stupidity.
By your argument, someone giving you an absolutely shitty 5 year old card for free beats everything else in a price/performance comparison.

Yes if the question were which card has the best price to performance ratio and the conditions included a card that was old but free, it could be considered the one to pick. You can talk about how its performance is so low that it should not be considered or many others things but could you answer the question correctly?

In this case the OP specifically asked about current cards. Do you consider the 7770 current? Maybe instead of being a hypocrite you can do something useful like talk about your experience with BF3 and the 7770 in a helpful manner like explaining what range of fps you got and what were the minimums and what settings you used.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Um...not any more. They are going for $170+ shipping now. Too many people found out how good a deal they were and up go the prices. :(

I'll sell you mine for $140... no wait, I'll keep it and use it forever, because it is the new 8800GT =)

I still find myself suggesting the GTX 560 Ti to friends who are looking for a new video card.

honestly i have a gtx 670 and @ 400$ price point.. fuck that noise. buy a 7950 and overclock or something

Back