Is there a better monitor (or at least equivalent) than the iMac Retina 5K display to be used with a PC

insoc123

Limp Gawd
Hi. A few days ago I watched some sample photos on the iMac (2020 model) of a friend of mine and the colors renditions was absolutely beautiful and precise. Images pop up without losing any truth. I've read that the Retina display of that iMac is actually a quite good one, with full P3 coverage and other impressive specs. Do you know if there is a monitor I can use with my PC that has the same specs (or even better) than that Retina display and that can reproduce colors as good as the Retina's one? Thank you!

Thank you, I'll take a look at those certainly. Hope one of them are glossy though... Best regards,
I don't believe they are as glossy is not generally wanted for professional work. Glare = bad.

Eizo ColorEdge monitors are often recommended for their color accuracy in digital photography communities. But they are available only up to 4K, no 5K model on the market yet.

There are plenty of displays that can output %95 P3 color these days. Just search for DCI P3 monitor on Amazon and take your pick. Then buys yourself a Spyder colorimeter for $150 and create an ICC profile for your specific display. Boom, that easy, and won’t even cost you $800. If you don’t need professional grade fidelity, there are so many monitors in the $300 and up range that you can calibrate yourself. I’m super happy with the color reproduction of my Px275h after calibration, and it only cost me $280! It’s only QHD though, so not valid for your query, but you’ll find many 4K options as I mentioned.

Glossy screens produce amazing contrast and colour, but the glare can really screw with office-style environments.

The dramatic "pop" of Apple displays is from the glossy finish. Looks great under ideal lighting conditions, but as others have mentioned it's a nightmare if you have any glare. We had several iMacs in an office last year that became useless for a few hours each day when the sun came in the windows at just the right angle. A lot of people pay the extra $500 to get the non-glossy monitor.

If you're just looking for accurate color rendition, it's not hard to find monitors that meet or exceed the measurements from Apple displays.

If you're looking for a glossy display that matches the 27" iMac, there are at least two options I know of:

Iiyama XB2779QQS-S1 (Discontinued): https://iiyama.com/gb_en/products/prolite-xb2779qqs-s1/
Planar IX2790: https://www.planar.com/media/439284/planar-ix2790-specsheet.pdf

Be warned that they both have some quirks, so read up before you take the leap. Also do your homework about driving a 5K display from a PC.

Back