Is there a Beta version of Longhorn we can buy and test ?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Labrador, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Labrador

Labrador [H]ard|Gawd

I have seen this person has the newest OS from Microsoft: Windows Longhorn :) How do people get this legally, I would like to test it out myself, I have heard it is pretty stable now ?

2. Ice Czar

Ice Czar Inscrutable

3. Labrador

Labrador [H]ard|Gawd

I am sorry, did not know we couldnt post links from other forums ? I was just wondering if there is a way to purchase the beta cd ?

4. Oldie

Oldie Mean Old Administrator Staff Member

You probably saw shots what is being reported as build 5203. Whether or not this is true remains to be seen, but the shots are definitley from the 52xx series (assuming they're the ones I saw). You can be pretty confident that no one has a 52 series release at this point, and the shots likely were leaked from inside microsoft.

Right now it looks like beta 1 will be part of 5101+ branch, and then beta 2 will be part of the 52xx series. You cannot currently buy any of the released alpha's of Longhorn legally, you can only receive one from Microsoft themselves.

Beta invitations started coming out Friday, and I think it'll become available sometime by the end of the month.

[​IMG]

5. Ice Czar

Ice Czar Inscrutable

well you can if its something specific
    (like a pic of Longhorn or a pertainent thread)
    but we do avoid controvertial posting where someone might flip to that forum to start something

and of all the forums, general mayhem is the one we have had the most issues with
    it used to be part of [H]ardForums till it was spun off
    (actually Kyle killed it here than allowed it to be resuscitated as an unconnected entity)

the reason I deleted it was it wasnt something specific ;)