Is the X800XT the Same as the X800XT PE

I was wondering the same thing. For the longest time I read that the X800XT was indeed the same as the X800XT-PE. Now, I just read it was different.

What is the truth here?

On ATI's web site I was able to find that they are making 4 versions of the card as follows:

AGP bus configuration (8X/4X/Universal AGP 3.0):
RADEON X800 PRO and
RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION.

PCI Express™ bus configuration:
RADEON X800 XT
RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION.

-Brian

I think the X800 XT is the PCI-E version. And the X800 XT-PE is the AGP version.

Right now they either say X800 XT or X800 XT-PE but the PCI-E isnt out yet so they're all the AGP version.

For some reason, all the companys that I have seen dont use the Platinum Edition box, IDK why.

some hardware sites only have the pci-E version, and you can tell by the performance in their benchmarks, all of the agp cards perform better i assume due to more mature drivers.. but usually if a site is comparing a x800xt its the pci version i have yet to see a reputable site not label the x800xt-pe if that is infact the vers their using.

The XTPE version has higher clocks than the regular XT, but that can change after some slight overclocking :p

the X800 XT uses 1000 mhz 2 ns RAM like the X800 Pro, but it has 16 pipes like the X800 XT PE.

i don't know why ATi didn't release the X800 XT on AGP first. i would have bought one instead of a 6800 GT, but i got sick of waiting for my X800 XT PE pre-order. the 1.6 ns RAM used on XT PE's is in short supply right now so that's why there aren't many available.

Basically the x800XT was made for OEMs like Dell.

They couldn't find enough of the faster RAM used in the PE to meet Dell's volume, so they use the slower RAM and it's labelled "just" an XT rather than an XT-PE.

Dell and other OEMs needed a top-end PCI-E board in high quantities, which is why they released the plain XT on PCI-E instead of AGP.

Harkamus said:
When do PCI X-16 mobos come out?

They are already out. I've seen the new Abit i925 and i915 boards at my local Fry's Electronics.

I know Asus has thier i925 and i915 boards out for sale on the web.

Currently you can only purchase the X800XT PE in it's AGP variant. So if you see X800XT on any site and it is listed as having an AGP connection it is the same thing as a X800XT PE. Later in the year there will be two PCI-E versions of the card the X800XT that will sport a slower core clock rate and 2ns memory, and the X800XT PE which will sport 1.6 ns memory and hefty core clock increase over the regular XT. However right now any card that has X800XT on the box and uses the AGP bus is the high end X800XT PE with the 1.6ns memory and the high core clock rate. The best price i've found so far is from www.gateway.com under accessories/ graphics accellorators you can purchase the card for just under $435

was wondering the same thing after seeing the best buy deal. Saw just the XT listed and no PE....

So the one at gateway which I have pre-ordered is a PE? By the way use e-Cupon code SAVE10TVAC and it si $391............. :D

ATI Radeon X800XT 8X AGP 256MB $499.00 Out

Price is back up , but after the 10% coupon it is around 450.

They better ship on the 21st as promised....... until then i'll just whine here .................... :cool: :cool: :cool:

I'm tempted to preorder from Gateway...

Hmmm...

Maybe not worth the hassle... hopefully Best Buy will get some in and have another $450 sale.

Back