Is the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme not suppost to sit any tighter?

I confirm that the Ultra 120 Extreme does not sit tight on a DS3. I can move it a little bit.

BTW, my temps seem to be a little high. My E6600 is not a very good overclocker and at 3.33GHZ @ 1.525v my idle and load temps are respectively 33C and 50C (TAT).
At 1.57v load temp is around 60C.
I suspect that I should reinstall the HS since the Anandtech reviewer got 45C at 3.9GHZ @1.5875v.:confused:

I confirm that the Ultra 120 Extreme does not sit tight on a DS3. I can move it a little bit.

BTW, my temps seem to be a little high. My E6600 is not a very good overclocker and at 3.33GHZ @ 1.525v my idle and load temps are respectively 33C and 50C (TAT).
I suspect that I should reinstall the HS since the Anandtech reviewer got 45C at 3.9GHZ @1.5875v.:confused:

I don't think you're going to get the kind of temps that Anandtech got. Mine are a little higher like yours as well. I think these E6600's run hotter or Anandtech must of had a cool running X6800.

I agree that the E6600 and X6800 are different chips but I find it strange that my temps increase very quickly with additional voltage. Temps are much stable in the Anandtech review.
I will reinstall the HS tomorrow and will post my results here.

I agree that the E6600 and X6800 are different chips but I find it strange that my temps increase very quickly with additional voltage. Temps are much stable in the Anandtech review.
I will reinstall the HS tomorrow and will post my results here.

What thermal paste are you using/going to use?

It will also depends on the fan they used. Do you know what fan they had?

I use Arctic Silver 5 and the same fan as Anandtech which is the S-Flex SFF21F.

Well I have to give you credit, you got some balls lapping your CPU. I would do my heatsink in a second, but I could never bring myself to lap my CPU. Too much money on the table doing that one. It sure does look good though and I'm sure it will help with your temps.

My E6600 is not a very good overclocker and at 3.33GHZ @ 1.525v my idle and load temps are respectively 33C and 50C (TAT).
Those are excellent temps. What is your ambient? Also, what fan are you using? To hit those speeds, my vcore in bios is set to 1.3250 and CPU-Z shows 1.31~1.29. My temps w/ Tuniq + Scythe SFLEX E 1200RPM will be about 48C w/ ambient of 24C during Orthos Large. (TAT won't run on my board) So for quite a bit more V, you're doing well.

Anand's using Farcry as load. I'm pretty sure TAT will be more stressful to the cpu.

Well I have to give you credit, you got some balls lapping your CPU. I would do my heatsink in a second, but I could never bring myself to lap my CPU. Too much money on the table doing that one. It sure does look good though and I'm sure it will help with your temps.

It's not as dangerous as you think. Just be gentle and take your time. I'm sure anyone can do it.

Anyone take their 120 around to a LAN party yet? This thing slides like it's on skates! I'm getting worse temps than tuniq too, lol...

Anyone take their 120 around to a LAN party yet? This thing slides like it's on skates! I'm getting worse temps than tuniq too, lol...

Yeah, I did and didn't have any problems with it. It turned a little in transportation, but it didn't move really at all. Are you sure you have everything screwed in right?

Question for you U-120 Extreme owners: Can the sink be fitted onto the socket in a North/South configuration? Pointed up, not to the side, that is.

Mine is configured north/south. I have a Antec 900 case with the giant 200mm fan up top, and a DS3. So I put the S-Flex fan on the bottom of the U-120 x, and it's blowing upward to the 200mm. Figured that might give me better cooling than facing to the rear towards the 120mm.

On a side note, this is my first OC rig, and I'm not getting much better temps than the intel stock cooler. e6400 @ 3.2 (8x400 1.5v), 39 idle & 63 load (orthos and prime). Currently using AS Ceramique. Stock cooler at same voltage/fsb gave me 40 idle & 66 load, using the stock paste that came on the chip. Was hoping i'd get at least somewhere in the 50's under load, if not 40's like anandtech.

This seems like the thread to ask this:

I just got my Ultra-120 Extreme and a fan. I'm still waiting for my computer parts but I decided to hook together the fan and the heatsink to see how it fit.

The fan I'm using is the Silverstone FM121. It's white, ugly, and loud but I won't have a window (I like my room to be completely dark) so I don't mind.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999344

The problem is, if you look at the pictures, it has closed holes on the corners. The dinky little fan clips won't fit!! There's no possible way to stretch them (believe me I tried). They're just not big enough.

Anyways, we had some steel wire the same thickness as these clips in the garage. I took it and wrapped it around like an X (two strands, going diagonally across the top of the fan). It doesn't interfere with the fan rotating at all, hooks into the same exact holes that the clips do, and it holds it in place like a champ. I'm pretty sure I could throw this from a 3 story building and they'd still be held together. I'll post some pictures tonight. It's not pretty, but it works.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem of the "closed hole" fans and what your solutions were!

My Extreme 120 fit like crap on my EVGA 680i A1 board. If you want to leave your tower laying on it's side you should be fine, Stand it up and the flimsy base not only allows it to slide around, but flex from it's weight. Poor CPU contact in my case. I replaced it with a ArticCool Freezer Pro 7, much smaller and lighter (and cheaper), same prinicpal, heat pipes to horizontal fins, and SAME temps as the ginormous Extreme.

Anand's using Farcry as load. I'm pretty sure TAT will be more stressful to the cpu.
I appreciate AnandTech's cooler reviews but too many users are looking at his numbers and then wondering why they can't duplicate his results.

I can't find what cpu voltage he was using, whether his case was open or closed or what his ambient temperature was during testing.
CPU voltage makes a huge difference in core temps.

As for CPU load, using the FarCry river demo can not, in any way, be compared to running Orthos.

With the Intel heatsink and fan I'm getting a core temperature of 73C while running Orthos but that drops to 53C when going for a drive in Need for Speed.
Other games run at a similar temperature in the mid 50C range.

gamingug2.png

My numbers come at a room temperature of 20C, in a closed case at 3400 MHz and 1.392 volts.

Before you remount your cooler 86 times trying to equal AnandTech's numbers, maybe you should run your own gaming load test.
There's no comparison between single threaded gaming and Orthos or TAT.

I was having the same prob with the cooler rotating when I was transporting my rig to lans...

I pulled it off, lapped it flat, it was very much in need of that. Pulled the 6800, lapped it flat, it too was horribly not flat, and added 0.1" spacers to the 4x sholder screw spring combos. Did that by pulling the springs off the sholder screws, sliding on the spacers, then putting the springs back on. this increases the mounting force, and now my cooler no longer rotates. My temps are so much better now. Before I was running my 6800 @ 3.5ghz - loaded temps would get to the mid 70C (ambient was 65F), now still running 3.5Ghz - loaded temps are 60-62C loaded (same ambient) overall about a 12-13C drop all for just a few hours work.

I think I am following you regarding the spacers, but could you post a picture because I would sure like to do that also. Thx

Ill let anyone with a stacker 830 know that this thing doesnt allow you to use a fan in the upper left spot on the door.... but mine twists also, with my q66 my primary core gets up to 40c idle at 1.24 volts at 3.0ghz.. ive caught it at about 47 with orthos after bout 20 minutes (Day 1 of thermal paste application)

I had told you about my trouble with a closed-hole fan with the Ultra-120 Extreme. I used some steel wiring to tie it on and it works great. Nothing fancy, and I know it doesn't look good but I don't have a window so it doesn't matter to me what it looks like as long as it doesn't fall off!

Here's a picture of it. There's two strings of wire, each going diagonally across the fan and tied into the grill for extra support. Like I said before, I could slam this around all I wanted but it's on there for good. Now I just hope I put the fan facing the right way :p. Sorry for the bad picture.

fanpic1.jpg

Are you sure you have everything screwed in right?
Yup, it's good to go.
I was having the same prob with the cooler rotating when I was transporting my rig to lans...and added 0.1" spacers to the 4x sholder screw spring combos. Did that by pulling the springs off the sholder screws, sliding on the spacers, then putting the springs back on.
Nice. I'll hit up Home Depot on the way home. And yeah, pics would be great.

Thank you, deadsquerl. It doesn't look too bad at all. And, RiZnO, i'm planning on getting a Stacker 832 so it's a good job you said! By the way, what do you think of the Stacker; is the build quality good and is it worth the price? I'm concerned about noise because it seems like a very open case.

It is very open on all sides so you must have pretty quiet fans... the only fan i can hear is on my bfg psu. Otherwise the build quality is very nice im was impressed with the case and all the gadgets it came with. I gave up my antec 900 when this arrived. :) My wiring isnt top notch (Im over being anal about my wire) but heres a blurry pic of the 120 in teh stacker...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/rizno/000_0101.jpg

It is very open on all sides so you must have pretty quiet fans... the only fan i can hear is on my bfg psu. Otherwise the build quality is very nice im was impressed with the case and all the gadgets it came with. I gave up my antec 900 when this arrived. :) My wiring isnt top notch (Im over being anal about my wire) but heres a blurry pic of the 120 in teh stacker...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/rizno/000_0101.jpg

Thank you; and, wow, that's a big fan! I'm either going to get this case or the Silverstone TJ09, but i can' decide which. :confused:
What colour is your Stacker, and how come you don't have the Thermalright Ultra-120 exhausting out the back of the case?

wouldnt fit like that.... but im thinking i might ditch the northbridge cooler I honestly think its worse than the stock one..then it would fit north/south.

Really newbie question here but I want to make sure that my S-Flex SFF21F fan is blowing air towards the Ultra-120 Extreme heatsink, right? I currently have it mounted with the Scythe logo facing outwards...

Right now I have my E6600 running at 3000Mhz (333x9) and am getting load temps right at 60c under an Orthos CPU stress test. I have a new Asus P5K Deluxe P35 motherboard and was hoping to get better a better overclock out of my E6600. I also have som G.SKill 2x2GB DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 RAM.

What am I doing wrong and what should I try? I currently have the cpu and memory volts set to auto. I tried playing around with raising the volts but I couldn't get a stable Orthos test when I raised my CPU FSB above 333....

Set your CPU voltage to 1.35 - 1.375 and try then. Also, what RPM do you have the fan running at? If i were you, i'd probably re-seat it; what thermal paste did you use?

Set your CPU voltage to 1.35 - 1.375 and try then. Also, what RPM do you have the fan running at? If i were you, i'd probably re-seat it; what thermal paste did you use?

I used AS5 thermal paste. What voltage does the E6600 run at by default? I tried testing with different settings all the way up to about 1.5 or so but Windows and Orthos were not stable. I would really like to run my E6600 at 400x9 for 3.6Ghz.. but I am wondering if I just got an unlucky processor for overclocking. I am running the Scythe 120mm fan strapped to the 120 Ultra at stock speed. I ended up having to plug the Scythe fan into a regular molex power cable since it only came as a 3-pin and the Asus P5K Deluxe board has a 4-pin header for the CPU fan. Can I still adjust that fan speed via the BIOS?

Anyone have any thoughts given my configuration listed a few posts up?

A fan--assuming it is not running in reverse--moves air to whatever side its blade concavity is on. Your Scythe fan has a hub label on the concave side of the blades. This means air will move in that direction, first sucked into the non-labeled side, and then out the labeled side. If I understand you correctly, it almost appears as if you have the fan blowing away from the heatsink--although that depends on which side of the heatsink it's mounted on. But even if it is blowing away rather than toward, it will still be pulling air through the heatsink fins, and thereby cooling your cpu. But then--if you have the fan mounted on side of the heatsink nearest the case center--you would be directing the waste heat toward your case interior rather than out of it, which is an undesirable situation.

Even though there is a 4-pin cpu fan header on your Asus board, it should be keyed to accept a 3-pin connector. That Scythe fan connector should slip right over the three pins on the right side of the header. The fourth pin on the left is probably a "sense" line, meant for use with PWM fans.

No, you cannot control the fan through the motherboard BIOS if it is hooked directly to your power supply through a Molex connector. It's power must come directly from the motherboard for you to be able to control its speed via the BIOS. Although you can power it from the psu and still monitor its RPMs in the BIOS, if your power adapter has a third (usually yellow) RPM line that is then plugged into the board's cpu fan header.

But then--if you have the fan mounted on side of the heatsink nearest the case center--you would be directing the waste heat toward your case interior rather than out of it, which is an undesirable situation.

Yes the Scythe fan is on the side of the 120-Ultra heatsink that faces the case center. I can feel that the fan is blowing air awat from the heatsink instead of towards it. If I understand correctly I should then flip the fan over so that it blows air on the heatsink?

Also, I have been unable to clock my E6600 any higher than 333x9 this far. I was really hoping to reach 400x9 for a 3.6Ghz overclock. Any tips on whether I should start creeping up cpu and memory voltages versus trying lower multipliers such as 450x8 for example.

First swap your fan around, like you said. What case and memory do you have?
I'd drop the multiplier down to 8, and then start increasing the FSB. You may, although it'd be unusual if you have to, increase some other voltages in the BIOS- probably the NB. Do you have 4x 1GB of RAM by any chance? Also, is your NB heatsink getting hot?

Not to derail what you guys are talking about but, I just received my Scythe S-Flex. My plan is to use it on the ultra 120 extreme and pair it up with a Yate Loon D12SM since I have it lying around. I'm just wondering which should be the push and which should be the pull.

As for it being loose, I KINDA came up with a solution for those who have mounting brackets that are lopsided or whatever. For Antec P180 owners, you know those hard drive silicon circle things? Well, I took out the springs of two of the screws and put the silicon on top then put back on the springs. Then I put in the dime and tightened everything up and I think it's decently more tighter than just having the dime alone. Just a suggestion since it kind of worked for me but I'm still trying to think of something more stable and full proof.

As for it being loose, I KINDA came up with a solution for those who have mounting brackets that are lopsided or whatever. For Antec P180 owners, you know those hard drive silicon circle things? Well, I took out the springs of two of the screws and put the silicon on top then put back on the springs. Then I put in the dime and tightened everything up and I think it's decently more tighter than just having the dime alone. Just a suggestion since it kind of worked for me but I'm still trying to think of something more stable and full proof.

Would you mind taking a photograph of this and posting it on here? I'm getting an Ultra 120 Extreme on Friday and i'm probably going to do something similar. So, have you basically used a washer-type spacer and put it on the bolt used to clamp down the heatsink so create more tension?

Yeah and it evens out the bracket if it's lopsided. ...Well, it tries atleast. I'll try to get some pictures ASAP.

First swap your fan around, like you said. What case and memory do you have?
I'd drop the multiplier down to 8, and then start increasing the FSB. You may, although it'd be unusual if you have to, increase some other voltages in the BIOS- probably the NB. Do you have 4x 1GB of RAM by any chance? Also, is your NB heatsink getting hot?

I have a Lian Li V PC-V1100B case and a for memory I have a 2x2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 kit. Current motherboard temps are reporting around 50c at idle from Pc Probe2.

So to make sure I have this correct I should start testing some FSB overclocks without touching voltages and leaving those at auto for now? So far I have been running rock solid with the E6600 at 333x9 for a few days but I want to push it more!

There's a thread on XS that shows a penny in between the washer and the bottom plate. Other folks have used washers, dimes, cardboard, etc...all w/ seemingly better success. I've yet to try on my own as it doesn't swivel quite as bad.

Back