Is the SanDisk Extreme microSDXC still the SD card to get for the steam deck?

Just got my 64gb steam deck, obviously I need to upgrade the hard drive with a 1tb microcd, is the SanDisk extreme still the SD card to get? I understand it's the fastest, but I just wish it wasn't as expensive as it is, so I was considering a lesser speed/expensive sd card.
41gNjLMPvNL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

AFAIK the Extreme one is the best at the moment. If you don't mind slightly slower load times then the Sandisk Ultra 1TB would be cheaper. I recently ordered a 1TB Extreme for $128 on amazon during their one day preview sale (though it says it won't arrive till Nov 16 :() so if you want one of them you might want to try and hold out for the Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals and you'll probably save like $30 from current prices if you are a prime member. IIRC the 1TB extreme is like $133 on newegg marketplace but I wasn't sure if I wanted to use newegg marketplace then it went on sale for less on Amazon (Sandisk store) so it was a pretty easy decision to buy it.

Uahh yes, the ultra is significantly less expensive in Canada then the extreme, I will need to compare speeds between the ultra and the extreme. If it's not much of a difference I'll just go for the ultra.
Thanks for the idea

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm curious.
I got the 512GB steam deck, because I figure if it was enough as my MMO games drive, then it should be good enough for a portable.

How many games are you all installing that you need 1TB on top of the internal space?
I can barely find enough time to swap between three games, as I'm the type to usually play until the end before switching over.

or is the 1TB needed for when the deck is shared property?

In my case: It's not exactly "needed" however, my home internet sucks enough that uninstalling completed games/downloading more takes forever. I'd rather just keep most of my library installed. I travel for a living and sometimes the hotels have extremely fast internet (compared to mine at home anyway) so I usually download games while i'm on the road.

I can totally see the "shared property" situation though, especially if whoever you're sharing it with has different tastes.

I'm curious.
I got the 512GB steam deck, because I figure if it was enough as my MMO games drive, then it should be good enough for a portable.

How many games are you all installing that you need 1TB on top of the internal space?
I can barely find enough time to swap between three games, as I'm the type to usually play until the end before switching over.

or is the 1TB needed for when the deck is shared property?
For me I just like having a lot available without the need to wait for it to install. If a 2TB 2230 drive came out I'd probably buy one and replace the internal drive. I have about 3 games installed on my 512 internal but my 1TB SD card is already at 50%. I have a couple of games that are on the deck but can't run properly on my PC (Prototype and Technomancer). I also tend to install on my PC then copy them over to the deck to try out there.

I am also using the deck as a kind of test linux desktop since I am probably going to move to a Desktop linux when MS EOL Win 10 since I don't plan on upgrading to any newer Windows OS. Steam Deck did one thing, it absolutely showed me how viable it is to run a Linux Desktop and not be game limited. Since the only major issue gaming wise are anti-cheat software and I don't play multiplayer games 99% of the time, every game I am playing works on the Deck so game wise I could switch to a linux desktop now. :)

For me I just like having a lot available without the need to wait for it to install. If a 2TB 2230 drive came out I'd probably buy one and replace the internal drive. I have about 3 games installed on my 512 internal but my 1TB SD card is already at 50%. I have a couple of games that are on the deck but can't run properly on my PC (Prototype and Technomancer). I also tend to install on my PC then copy them over to the deck to try out there.

I am also using the deck as a kind of test linux desktop since I am probably going to move to a Desktop linux when MS EOL Win 10 since I don't plan on upgrading to any newer Windows OS. Steam Deck did one thing, it absolutely showed me how viable it is to run a Linux Desktop and not be game limited. Since the only major issue gaming wise are anti-cheat software and I don't play multiplayer games 99% of the time, every game I am playing works on the Deck so game wise I could switch to a linux desktop now. :)
Are these games that support Linux natively or running through WINE or a Windows VM?

Are these games that support Linux natively or running through WINE or a Windows VM?
Some are native linux builds but most are through Wine/proton. Interestingly, there are games that won't run on my Windows 10 rig that will run under proton on the deck (Prototype and also Technomancer). To be fair though it could also be due to the core count difference more than anything else. Prototype has to be set with affinity and I can get it to run but it is so unstable on my windows rig that it's unplayable (like now it refuses to load from my save file without crashing). Similarly on the deck it takes a very specific version of Proton to run it normally otherwise it crashes/locks up. Technomancer won't run at all on my windows rig unless I edit the system config to only run 4 cores and reboot to that limited core environment. That's not happening so it is basically unplayable anywhere else but on the Deck for me.

2TB 2230 has been out for a while, western digital makes them they sell for $300-350 on fleabay.

In my case: It's not exactly "needed" however, my home internet sucks enough that uninstalling completed games/downloading more takes forever. I'd rather just keep most of my library installed. I travel for a living and sometimes the hotels have extremely fast internet (compared to mine at home anyway) so I usually download games while i'm on the road.

I can totally see the "shared property" situation though, especially if whoever you're sharing it with has different tastes.
Decks are generally available to impatient twits now, make them buy their own.

2TB 2230 has been out for a while, western digital makes them they sell for $300-350 on fleabay.
Thanks, I noticed shortly after I posted that, but it's too much to justify for 2TB. I'll wait for a while and hope prices drop, but I am pretty happy at 1.5 tb. I might just stop spending on the deck now and just wait for the deck 2 cause I am sure I want it if they make it lol.

Back