Is the Samsung 244t worth the premium price over the 2405FPW?

MakubexGB

[H]ard|Gawd
Just like the topic says. I'm debating which one to buy, but the Samsung 244t is hitting the max of my budget, plus with SED coming out next year is it really worth the very high price (for my budget) right now? Should I just go with the DELL 2405FPW for now. Does it preform really good for games and movies?

All opinions are welcomed.

skip LCD or get a cheap 19", no point in splashing out that kind of money right now. My advice save it for an SED display.

kleox64 said:
skip LCD or get a cheap 19", no point in splashing out that kind of money right now. My advice save it for an SED display.
Hmmm, not a bad idea. I just hope SED's prices are affordable. Well I'll think about it.

Any opinions about the original question?

The 244T has a better panel thats much more suited for gaming, the quality and backlight are also alot better but then again you pay for it. Get the 244T is you absolutly must have a 24" LCD widescreen, keep in mind that even the 1st SED's will blow everything else away.

kleox64 said:
keep in mind that even the 1st SED's will blow everything else away.
Yeah, but it will probably be expensive and won't be available widely for another year or so.

Yeah, but the Samsung 244t is already very expensive. I'm not expecting SED to be much more expensive than that.

MakubexGB said:
Yeah, but the Samsung 244t is already very expensive. I'm not expecting SED to be much more expensive than that.

Agreed and thats my point about waiting.

I would guess that the 244T has no input lag.

I haven;t looked into this stuff since I sent my Dell back mid last year, so hmm. Very tempting to buy soon!

I have seen both next to each other... the 244t is a little better, but I'd say no more than 5% at max.. The Dell is already a great looking display, save the cash, get the 2405 from Costco, and in a year when SED hits the streets, return it for full money back and buy an SED display.

NulloModo said:
I have seen both next to each other... the 244t is a little better, but I'd say no more than 5% at max.. The Dell is already a great looking display, save the cash, get the 2405 from Costco, and in a year when SED hits the streets, return it for full money back and buy an SED display.
Thanks for the advice, but I couldn't play it like that.

I own a 244T... about 1 month now.
I love it. No dead pixels. No backlight issues. The text/fonts look great on docs, html, spreadsheets etc. The whites are bright but not annoying. I can easily sit for hours on end working with no fatigue. No ghosting on games (that I can tell). I am a casual gamer, but I have played Call of Duty2 & Fear so far with all settings maxed. I have been very pleased. Gaming on a widescreen is really fun! I haven't watched any DVDs yet (prefer my TV for that). Images look incredible. I really don't have any negatives to say... If I had to give some cons: the thing does throw off lots of heat, and I wish the stand would allow the screen to be about 1.5 inches lower... but those are minor nit-picky things...
Get one... you will LOVE it

j4zzee said:
I own a 244T... about 1 month now.
I love it. No dead pixels. No backlight issuesI ..
Get one... you will LOVE it
What did you pay and where?
Anyone here know who has lowest 244T price with 30-day no hassle Return policy?

Zak said:
What did you pay and where?
Anyone here know who has lowest 244T price with 30-day no hassle Return policy?
I originally was going to go through New Egg but they were sold out..
I purchased from TigerDirect. I think it was about 50 bucks more than from New Egg.
I was comfortable going 'mail order' with the Samsung 244T because of their reputation for quality etc...

I'm actually seriously considering returning my 2405 and getting this panel. I am very sensitive to refresh rates. On the 2405, I get the "head out of the window" motion blur affect when I move the camera quickly in games like EQ2 and BF2. When I'm still the panel is gorgeous. I was just going to live with it but I recently have come into a little extra money. Users who are sensitive to refresh rates: Do you think this monitor will solve my problems? Or will I get this and not be able to tell a difference? I really love the connectivity available on the 2405 and the 244T. I would just had to spend an extra $500 and not see any difference.

I was lucky and the first 2405 I got seems to be pretty nice. A lot of people seem to have problems with them. Grrr...I just don't know if I should live with it or get this faster panel.

You talking about ghosting/trailing, I noticed this with my 2405. The updated panel in the 244T is much better from a gaming perspective, but it is still an LCD and suffers with all thier short comings.

A couple people said just wait for SED...but honestly...anyone think we'll see any of those reasonably priced before Christmas 2007?

VendettaUF said:
A couple people said just wait for SED...but honestly...anyone think we'll see any of those reasonably priced before Christmas 2007?

Doubtful and thats a long ways off as well.

My understanding is that SED displays are going to be at least twice as expensive as current high end panels at launch and until they reach a saturation with demand capacity will not be scaled up, thus keeping the price relatively high. Remember, there aren't that many panel makers and they invested deep into LCD and force a change over by curbing then halting part of CRT production... they aren't going to want to see SED prices come down for at least two years, maybe more.

GNNR |AVault| said:
My understanding is that SED displays are going to be at least twice as expensive as current high end panels at launch and until they reach a saturation with demand capacity will not be scaled up, thus keeping the price relatively high. Remember, there aren't that many panel makers and they invested deep into LCD and force a change over by curbing then halting part of CRT production... they aren't going to want to see SED prices come down for at least two years, maybe more.
That's how all new technologies work. Price high in the beginning because the people that really want it will pay for it, and then drop the price in a year or so. I remember when I saw an plasma display at bestbuy for $15,000 when Plasma tv's first came out. Now I have a hard time finding one for $8,000 at their store. Also, I have read that this technology is not expected to be extremely expensive. I don't think we will be going back to the days of $15,000 dollar displays with this technology. Unless of course you want a 70" display, assuming the pricing is relative to plasma.

As far as SED, don't count on the first models to come out in PC-friendly sizes. Think around 40-50" to start.

kleox64 said:
The 244T has a better panel thats much more suited for gaming, the quality and backlight are also alot better but then again you pay for it. Get the 244T is you absolutly must have a 24" LCD widescreen, keep in mind that even the 1st SED's will blow everything else away.

The 2405 and the 244t actually probably have the same panel in them. The viewing angle and the brightness and contrast are the same. Samsung advertises using grey to grey response times that are usually half of the regular response times... sooo a "6ms" samsung is usually a 12 ms panel for any other manufacturer. I'm not saying they don't make awesome panel, but they just use a different standard.

And i'm 90% sure that samsung provides the panels for Dell monitors (and sony monitors and lcd tv's)

The electronics that back up the panel are different i'm sure, but the actual lcd panels are probably the same.

VendettaUF said:
On the 2405, I get the "head out of the window" motion blur affect when I move tl.

can someone describe in detail what exactly is the above?

I don't think they have the same panel in them.

I checked here:

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

Dell 2405FPW (widescreen) has a 24 inch 12 ms (g2g) PVA (Samsung LTM240M1-L01) panel.

Samsung 244T (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) PVA (Samsung LTM240M1) panel.

Also -

http://www.behardware.com/articles/595-1/fast-24-monitors-6ms.html

That review talks about this new panel (the 6ms one) in the Acer and they really like it. They say its the first S-PVA suitable for real action oriented gaming.

Is it worth it? Well it depends. How much money do you have? How much do you love to game? If your looking to maximize your desktop space for example you could get TWO 214T montiors which are very nice according to most people that have them for the same price.

Pete

kleox64 said:
keep in mind that even the 1st SED's will blow everything else away.
The first SED displays will be 55" HDTV panels...and even those are a year out. I wouldn't expect monitors for probably 2 years.

Happy Hopping said:
can someone describe in detail what exactly is the above?

Some people don't like me using the phrase "ghosting" to describe low refresh rate issues but that is essentially what it is. When I move a camera around quickly, the screen tends to cause a motion blur like affect. It isn't as pronounced a "ghosting" as you'd see on older screens but I do see it on the 2405 as compared to my CRT running at 85Mhz

GuyClinch said:
I don't think they have the same panel in them.

Dell 2405FPW (widescreen) has a 24 inch 12 ms (g2g) PVA (Samsung LTM240M1-L01) panel.

Samsung 244T (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) PVA (Samsung LTM240M1) panel.

I dunno those numberes are awefully similar. Companies often change model numbers by just one number for market segmentation....I'm starting to maybe believe the rumors that these are just the "cream" of the same panels found in the 2405.

masher said:
The first SED displays will be 55" HDTV panels...and even those are a year out. I wouldn't expect monitors for probably 2 years.
Exactly right, and that is the most optimistic timeline. In reality we're probably more like 30 months out on the very first monitors and 3.5-4 yrs until 2nd gen units appear, the bugs get worked out and prices settle. It's gonna be a long wait for the SED holdouts.

oc

So can anyone suggest a vendor for the 244T with a good return/dead pixel policy? Normally, I'd go with NewEgg, but their stated policy is 8 dead pixels on the monitor last time I checked.

Thanks.

Back