• Yes, I will wait for the R580 or next NVIDIA

Votes: 47 13.3%
  • No, I am still looking to buy a R520

Votes: 56 15.9%
  • Don't care, I am keeping my current card for 6 months +

Votes: 142 40.2%

• Total voters
Netrat33 said:
GIVE ME A BREAK. It's still very high end much like how the 6800ultra is still very high end. Just because it's not the fastest card on the market doesn't mean it's a pushover anymore.

Very high end:
SLI 7800GTX
SLI 7800GT

High end:
You fill in the blanks....

Terra...

Since I recently purchased a K8N Neo2... I'm looking very forward to a R520 to replace my 6200.

Terra, I still don't get how an X850 isn't high end... yes the 7800s are faster, but the 850s can play all current games at highest detail as well... what else constitutes "high end?"

Zinn said:
Terra, I still don't get how an X850 isn't high end... yes the 7800s are faster, but the 850s can play all current games at highest detail as well... what else constitutes "high end?"

Not "high end", but "VERY high end".
Don't put words in my mouth, or distort what is being said...
And look how the x850 fairs a 1600x1200 and higher in new games.
BF2

Terra - Nothing gets "old" more fast than hardware...deal with it...

Wind said:
Apples to Apples 1458 3dm05 difference is close??

1458 3d05 marks is like........nothing.......the eyes can only see 32 fps.......what the crap does it matter if you get 20 more fps over 60 fps?

and 3dmark05 isnt a good benchmark IMO, its more to see that the video card can handle it.......ummmm, i was more of talking about the hardware.......the core speed/mem speed.......technology......

dont try to be a "omgz since its new gen it owns all last gen cards!" band wagon.......

fact is.....there isnt MUCH diffrence from a x850xtpe and a 7800 whatever.........

soulsaver_8229

Terra said:
Terra - Nothing gets "old" more fast than hardware...deal with it...

really now? so i guess the DDR ram i use.......is new? :confused: to the ram industry?
preformence diffrence between DDR1 and 2 isnt enough to switch over

same with AGP and pci express.......theres still only 32 busses on pci bus.......

same with processers.......take a last gen top end rig........compare it to new gen top end rig........not MUCH preformence diffrence........

hardware doesnt get old Terra......what gets old is waiting for the stuff to come out after its found new hardware is coming out....

hardware never matches software, there isnt a piece of software that coinsides with the hardware enough to actualy take advantage of each other.......

what im getting at is, my point is very valid.........unless you want to crank out max aa/af or whatever you want, you wont notice a diffrence in gaming between a 7800 and x800xtpe.............your trying to deny the fact that last gen can compare with new gen

soulsaver_8229

I went with the 7800 GTX card right now. I was making my upgrade now and it was the fastest thing on the planet at the moment so nVidia won this round. Not to mention nVidia has the most features in their cards right now. I'm sure ATi will come out with something competitive in the near future though. Card performance and etc has always been a toss up.

soulsaver_8229 said:
1458 3d05 marks is like........nothing.......the eyes can only see 32 fps.......what the crap does it matter if you get 20 more fps over 60 fps?

Utter bollox. And the main difference is whether the fps are constant i.e a steady 60fps for example is far better than 80fps dropping to 40 every now and then. That's the difference. The faster card is more likely to be able to maintain a constant high fps than the lower card with everything maxed.

soulsaver_8229 said:
ummmm, i was more of talking about the hardware.......the core speed/mem speed.......technology......

And I am telling you again , that fillrate, number of pipes ect (the thecnicl specs) is a BAD comparison foundation.
It's all about pipe and shader effeciency now...lokk that the bechnes of eg. BF"...they show the diffrence quite cleary...

dont try to be a "omgz since its new gen it owns all last gen cards!" band wagon.......

fact is.....there isnt MUCH diffrence from a x850xtpe and a 7800 whatever.........

The prefromnace is not the same.
Just wait and see the difference grow with faster CPU's and new games...

Terra - Like it or not...

Terra said:
The prefromnace is not the same.
Just wait and see the difference grow with faster CPU's and new games...

Terra - Like it or not...
Where did i say that the diffrence is the same? :confused: in fact i said there was a diffrence

will your eyes notice it? its like drinking coke, and the grocery store version of coke.....you might taste coke's more crisp taste, but all in all its gonna be quite the same

stop trying to justify your 500 dollars and saying that your card owns the pants off x850xtpe

in that link you sent 6800ultras in sli got smoked by the x850xtpe....... and was close to the 7800, and in EQ2 i think the x850 even got better fps than all of the card/card set up tested

the fact is, your trying to justify buying your 7800, and im trying to tell you, there isnt so much of a diffrence UNLESS you look at benchmarks........get pixile shader 10 billion, your eyes cant see the stuff.........

ive seen screenshots.......and ive read benchmarks, ive seen the card preform irl......not the 7800 , but i can tell you, there isnt so much of a diffrence in getting on the band wagon

soulsaver_8229

Terra said:
Everything?
That was a very bold statement ;)

Terra...

True, that was pretty bold, by everything I meant what I use it for, mainly current FPS games, driving and flight sims.

Terra said:
He didn't state that he had to sacrifice IQ ;)
Besides the X850 isn't "very high end" anymore...like it or not.
And if the "eyecandy" isn't important to you the X850XT-PE would be overkill.
Get a bugdet-card then...

Terra - And I know my benchmarks...point being? :)

I didn't state it because I don't have to do it. I can run most 4xAA and 8xAF with no issues at all. I'm also amoung many who happen to still own an AGP board, do you know where I can find an AGP-7800? Like I said in my original post, when I decide to switch over to PCI-e, I'll review my options, till then I think I'll be just fine with my "low-end" parts, but thanks for your concern.

Edit: nm, I was about to feed the trolls. :D

The poll is going well with mostly level headed rational responses, except for one poster.

PRIME1 said:
Edit: nm I was about to feed the trolls. :D

The poll is going well with mostly level head rational responses, except for one poster.
actualy there is some truth in your statment ;)

if you dont tax both cores on a dual core proc..........whats it gonna act like? 0h n0z, i a single core proc? :eek: who woulda thought

and most times the second core isnt taxed........unless you bring up prime95 2 times, or keep launching firefox, or double box on same pc with everquest/2/wow :p

so yes my statment is still true........and you sir should check benchmarks out more often.....show me 5 games that the 7800 blows the pants off of a x850xtpe.......and by blow i mean more than 20 fps.......

serriously, hop off the band wagon, we need sane real world people here, not benchmark freeks.......benchmarks are good, but real world is better.....
and Prime, youve made what i looked at........3? could be more threads about the R520 or R580 or whatever..........serriously, your the reason these flame wars get started
and then your like "im not gonna feed the trolls" tf? we have about same post count.....yours are all about smoke and mirrors bs about "omgwtf0rz d00d what if R520 is better than nvida" 0hn0z this site that promotes ATI just bowed to nvida omgz0rz ATI is d00000000000mmmmmmmed

come off it, dont act high and mighty when you start a flame war in all your threads

soulsaver_8229

soulsaver_8229 : please don't take this the wrong way, but could you please, please run your posts through a spellcheck or something before posting? My head kind of hurts after reading your posts :p

insanarchist said:
soulsaver_8229 : please don't take this the wrong way, but could you please, please run your posts through a spellcheck or something before posting? My head kind of hurts after reading your posts :p

haha theres a spell check in here?
man i wish i could spell better, but the way i type.......which is very fast, i try to keep up with what my mind tells me, man id love a insta spell checker on this........unless im missing it? :p :confused:

but truly am sorry insanearchist =/

soulsaver_8229

I am dissapointed in ATI.
The R520 needs to beat the 7800GTX by 15 - 20 % for it to be worth releasing now.

I don't plan on getting a R520 anymore now that the R580 is coming up in the next few months.

By then I will have grown tired of my R481

soulsaver_8229 said:
Where did i say that the diffrence is the same? :confused: in fact i said there was a diffrence

will your eyes notice it? its like drinking coke, and the grocery store version of coke.....you might taste coke's more crisp taste, but all in all its gonna be quite the same

stop trying to justify your 500 dollars and saying that your card owns the pants off x850xtpe

in that link you sent 6800ultras in sli got smoked by the x850xtpe....... and was close to the 7800, and in EQ2 i think the x850 even got better fps than all of the card/card set up tested

the fact is, your trying to justify buying your 7800, and im trying to tell you, there isnt so much of a diffrence UNLESS you look at benchmarks........get pixile shader 10 billion, your eyes cant see the stuff.........

ive seen screenshots.......and ive read benchmarks, ive seen the card preform irl......not the 7800 , but i can tell you, there isnt so much of a diffrence in getting on the band wagon

soulsaver_8229

QFMFT!

Okay I'll fill it in a bit. (just a bit)
Terra said:
Very high end
SLI 7800GTX
SLI 7800GT

High end
SLI 6800U
SLI 6800GT
X850XT-PE
6800U
SLI 6600
X800XT-PE
X850XT
X800XT

Upper End
800XL
X800Pro

Majin said:
Okay I'll fill it in a bit. (just a bit)
i hope each of those catorgories are not in order of best to not good.........

cause a x850xtpe owns sli 6800's
thanks for spell checker link downloaing it now :p

soulsaver_8229

insanarchist said:

It would also be nice if he ran his posts through a fact checker.

I go the 7800GT because it was pretty much the 2nd fastest card I could get and was comparable in price to the X850XTPE (I got in on the Dell deal...kind of an impulse buy).

soulsaver_8229 said:
so yes my statment is still true........and you sir should check benchmarks out more often.....show me 5 games that the 7800 blows the pants off of a x850xtpe.......and by blow i mean more than 20 fps.......

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2451&p=8

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2451&p=9

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2451&p=12

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2451&p=13

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2451&p=14

Now STFU like a good little n00b.

Russ said:
Now STFU like a good little n00b.
oh you sure owned me omg i should go crawl in my virutal hole huh? ;)

actualy you just posted games like Doom3 which we all know runs better on nvidia cards......
2 games that show better preformence, by 30-40 fps......

of which your eye cant see :(

and you actualy helped my point out, you pasted Guild Wars link, and theres a 2fps diffrence from the GTX and the xtpe lol........nice and smooth sir

you havent shown me real world proof yet sir :( so you still lose nice work tho, you should thank Tera for the link tho

soulsaver_8229

Majin said:
:cool:

Majin - Now who's being a smart ass?
and the 6600 in SLI doesnt belong in high end, or anything near it........its like putting 2 9700 pros in SLI

and go ahead and put the single 7800's in there, yeah they will be on top

you people seem to think im trying to say that the x850xtpe is better than 7800........

NO IM NOT, im saying that they can VERY MUCH SO COMPARE IN PREFORMENCE

which they can..........and my point is, last gen doesnt mean its all trash compared to new gen.......so........yeah

im done with this thread, ive nothing more to say or prove or do............im bored anyway, guess ill find something better to do than talk to band wangoniers

soulsaver_8229

soulsaver_8229 said:
im done with this thread, ive nothing more to say or prove or do............im bored anyway, guess ill find something better to do than talk to band wangoniers

Promise? :)

Terra...

Violator said:
Utter bollox. And the main difference is whether the fps are constant i.e a steady 60fps for example is far better than 80fps dropping to 40 every now and then. That's the difference. The faster card is more likely to be able to maintain a constant high fps than the lower card with everything maxed.

finally! someone else who understands how humans perceive FPS!

great post

Brent_Justice said:
no they can't

nevermind, i had a long post, not worth it..........say what you want, your eyes cant tell the diffrence unless your next to bleeding edge computers with those graphic cards.......so its pointless

its ok tho Brent, your still cool even if you dont agree with me

soulsaver_8229

Brent_Justice said:
finally! someone else who understands how humans perceive FPS!

great post
did i say he was wrong? :confused:

lol wow you people are loving this misunderstanding...........

brent tell me, since you think you can tell a diffrence, outside of your benchmark world.....

i bet you can tell a diffrence between DDR1 and 2? and AGP x8 and pci express?

video cards make people really weird.

I wonder when someone is going to make a movie about it.

soulsaver_8229 said:
brent tell me, since you think you can tell a diffrence, outside of your benchmark world.....

The human brain can percieve changes in FPS. If for example you are playing a game at 100FPS and the FPS drops instantly to 50FPS we notice this change in framerate. That is where consistency comes in. A video card that can provide better consistency (less changes in FPS up and down) provides a smoother gameplay experience.

That is one aspect of framerate. The other is pure FPS.

With pure FPS the argument comes in, how many FPS can the eye see? It has been proven through military tests that we can perceive frames at at least 1/220th of a second. The eyes see "continuously" with rods and cones and do not see in "frames per second" like a computer displays. Comparing our eyes to FPS numbers is like comparing apples and oranges, they are two very different things. In reality people have been able to tell the differences in framerates well over 200 FPS.

Back