Votes: 47 13.3%
  • No, I am still looking to buy a R520

Votes: 56 15.9%
  • Don't care, I am keeping my current card for 6 months +

Votes: 142 40.2%

• Total voters

PRIME1

2[H]4U
There have been many threads in this forum discussing the delay of the R520. However I am starting to see threads now discussing the R580, R600 & G80. So my question (and poll)....is the R520 too late? Has anyone been waiting for the R520 and bought a 7xxx instead? Are you just going to skip it and wait for the R580 or beyond?

I don't care to discuss pipes, performance, 7800ultra, etc. I am more interested in what this delay means for the R520 and the R580 (which could be 3 months away).

Personally I will select option 4 as I am not in the market for a card in the next 6 months. However I think the R580 interests me more than the R520 as it's going to be released soon after (or so the story goes).

Well not everyone has the money to buy a Geforce 7x series. So there is a few still waiting to see what ATi has to offer... And of course all the ATi fan-boys will be buying one no matter what :p

But your right ATi should of released it sooner with the 7800GTX.

whoami said:
I see NO POLL!

Slow down it took me a whole 30 seconds to add the poll :p

If you don't mind, also list what you voted for and why...

I voted option 4, because I don't intend on buying a new card for at least 6 months.

When I spent $400 on my 6800GT, I promised my self I would keep it for 2 years...and its still goin strong.

I already got a couple 7800GTX's ...why? ...because I could actually buy them now ..

I voted for option 4. I am not having any problems with my current card and upgrading would require a new motherboard and processor. Too much money for too little gain. Next gen maybe, but probably the gen after that.

I've got one 7800 GTX. Why? So if the R520 kicks major ass I only have to deal with selling one of them :p

I voted that I already bought a 7xxx series, even though I was waiting to see what ATI would bring to the table. I was waiting an extra bit on actually ordering my finalized SFF system's parts, but finally gave in and went to nvidia for a 7800GT by eVGA. I'm loving it, and am glad to have the extra time to enjoy it now instead of having waited extra weeks, and possibly months, for something from ATI of likely equal, or approximately equal, performance.

Don't care, I am keeping my current card for 6 months +

my choice. i don't care for the 7800gtx or the r520 because i think it's a waste to put $500+ into a single piece of computer hardware. my 6600gt pcie will last me until bf3 or halo 2 for the pc. :p

I'm gonna keep my X850 XT and maybe add another one for Cross-Fire, I'm almost certainly not gonna get an R520, I'll wait for R580.

I think I'd rather have a decent, albeit rather late competitor to the 7xxx series, vs. an ATi version of the "FX" series. As long as the card is as strong/stronger than the competition, and as long as the next in the "Rxxx" series hits in time for the holidays.

Oh, and I'm still running my 9700 pro and I'd just like to say it is a damned fine card!

makshim said:
I'm gonna wait for the 8800GTX or the X1050XT ;)

same here... I'm not gonna get a card until the GeForce 8 series.

Although I'm planning on buying a new system at the end of October, I'm afraid I will stick with nVidia solution this round even if R520 is released. I really hoped ATI could release its crossfire platform and video cards now. Regardless of all the availability issues, due to its new architecture, I am suspecting that it will still take some time before the whole crossfire platform being as stable as the SLI platform now. I'm planning on spending my money for the gaming and fun, not frustration or waiting for updated BIOS or drivers. And that would be my reason to stick with nVidia this round.

as you can see i already got a 7800GTX. I didn't want to wait, crossfire doesnt llok promising, r520s dont look promising, and the 7800GTX is plenty enough for a few years for me.

Decided to get a card that isn't plagued with engineering problems, so I got the 7800GTX. Why wait for a rumor?

I was initially waiting for it but then ended up getting a 7800GT instead almost 2 weeks ago. My Geforce4 ti4200 has served me well but it was time to finally upgrade and anything would be faster than it so i jumped on a 7800.

I had a 6800 but decided a 9600 Pro was enough. I'm going to see if I can last on this system for at least another year.

I'm perfectly happy with my 6800GT still...I'd have to upgrade my entire rig before my next card upgrade...and with CPUs stagnating...I think we're rapidly getting to the point that high-end GPU sales will suffer because everything is going to be cpu limited...

I was going to originally upgrade in June when the GTX showed up but decided to wait to see if there was more info about the r520. Plus I wanted to see how fast the price would start dropping on the GTX. When I read ATis CEO's comments at the end of August regarding that they think they can beat the GTX if they manage to get the clock speeds right I decided enough was enough and dove in.

I didn't want to wait any longer, with the price settling down on the GTX and no sign of the r520, (even some benchmarks would have made me wait another month) I was looking forward to trying an ATi product this round, previously only had gone with 3dfx and nVidia. Another concern was prices at launch of the r520, and if they were going to go directly to what GTX pricing is at now or would it be high, wasn't going to gamble and I am very happy with my decision. See you in the spring maybe ATi!

Keeping current card (either X800 XL or 6800GT) for another 6 months, since there are no games compelling me to upgrade. FEAR may change this. Quake 4 is a non-issue. Rest are all pushed back or dont care state.

option 4. why? because i aint gots no money :( otherwise id grab whatever was best... unless ATi had only a tiny edge or was about even, then id run to nVidia for drivers..

My 850 handles everything at my monitors native resolution (1680X1050) and at decent frames so I'm not concerned at all. I can wait until I need to switch over to PCIe, and check my options then.

I don't care. There is alot of talk about this, but I think whenever they get around to it is fine. As long as there is some form of competition out there they don't have to keep a break-neck pace. ;)

I just bought the 6800GT a few months ago and I am not getting another card for at least a few more months. I will hold out as long as I can stand it. :D

My 6800GT runs fine still. I won't upgrade again until I build a whole new system (and pass this one down to my son). I suspect it will be next spring or summer. By then hopefully the next gen of cards will be out.

ncantador said:
My 850 handles everything at my monitors native resolution (1680X1050) and at decent frames so I'm not concerned at all. I can wait until I need to switch over to PCIe, and check my options then.

Everything?
That was a very bold statement ;)

Terra...

Not if it's a fair amount faster than the 7800. I don't understand why people think both companies are "supposed to" release their cards at the same time... They'll release them when they're good and ready.

Terra said:
Everything?
That was a very bold statement ;)

Terra...
care to explain? you just posted "That was a very bold statment"

is it bold because he has a very high end card? Or.......you yourself havent looked at reviews of his card, and just are a 7800gt owns all bandwagon? Not everyone needs bleeding edge for best results for eye candy. I play games to own people, not to see the blood smere and see bullets go into peoples heads

and sadly, once again im posting in another thread that has to do with R520......

heres whats gonna happen ill predict the furture!! be amazed people!
R520 will launch.......the night before [H]ocp gets it, people will be posting mad crazy about omfg0rz d00d i bet it will blow away everything, then someones gonna be like hellz nah dawg, its gonna get waxed by my 7800 whatever, then everyones gonna refresh [H]ocp website, to read reviews, then everyones gonna post about results.......even tho no one will own one at that time, and start flame wars.......it will eaither be "told you r520 owns nvidas line!" or "ha, thats it? im going with nvida"

please for the love of all video cards.........and whats good about them, stop posting about what hasnt launched, or hasnt come out...........

otherwise ill make a thread about the R700 core and be like OMG are you guys ready for it?! i know i am, i wanna trade out my 9600 pro for it!!.......it will own all!!!! omg i hope its a paper launch...........and make polls.........what are you waiting for? R700 or N900? ;)

and no, this isnt a flame bait, this is the truth..........wait for the crap to come out for crying out loud.........

soulsaver_8229

soulsaver_8229 said:
care to explain? you just posted "That was a very bold statment"

is it bold because he has a very high end card? Or.......you yourself havent looked at reviews of his card, and just are a 7800gt owns all bandwagon? Not everyone needs bleeding edge for best results for eye candy. I play games to own people, not to see the blood smere and see bullets go into peoples heads

He didn't state that he had to sacrifice IQ ;)
Besides the X850 isn't "very high end" anymore...like it or not.
And if the "eyecandy" isn't important to you the X850XT-PE would be overkill.
Get a bugdet-card then...

Terra - And I know my benchmarks...point being? :)

soulsaver_8229 said:
Not high end? hrummm........sure gets very close to 7800gtx to me......for being last gen that is...

ill do the work for you T

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=56&card2=310

notice how they are so far apart they are actualy apples to apples ;).......

soulsaver_8229

3D-shitty-marks means jack and shit...
Try this instead:
Read the [H]ArdOCP preview...

Read the Anandtech review ...

Read the Rage3D review....

Read the Beyond3D review...

Read the Guru3D review...

In fact read any review you want too...the 7800 seris owns at resolutions higher that 1280x1024.
Wich I think is in the range of what #ncantador stated(1680X1050).

And then perhaps you should learn that number of pipelines, bandwith ect, are no longer good pointers in regards to preformance...
Stop living in the past ;)

Terra - Need I say more ? :)

Wind said:
Apples to Apples 1458 3dm05 difference is close??

It's not close but 3D-Shitty-Mark is worthless as a comparison tool ;)

Terra - Infact it's worthless in everything ;) *L*

Terra said:
Besides the X850 isn't "very high end" anymore...like it or not.

GIVE ME A BREAK. It's still very high end much like how the 6800ultra is still very high end. Just because it's not the fastest card on the market doesn't mean it's a pushover anymore.

btw PRIME1 I would vote: not too late, waiting for. If sucks buying 7800gtx. You have everything else other than that. I'm not waiting for another next gen.

Too late for me for sure. And I WILL NOT be buying the ATI part since it MIGHT be a LITTLE faster, and it could actually be slower than my GTX.

ATI missed the mark a bit....

I might ditch my Dual 6600gt's and get a GTX sometime within the next few months

Why? because my Dell 2405fpw is a bitch to run. I really dont care about super high end everything on all the time 90x fsaa and all that. I find alot of that stuff isnt needed once running at 1920x1200

In any case the chance of me moving back onto ati wont happen anytime soon. I was on a 9700pro for quite a while. They're drivers still piss me off. And they cant seem to get their act together with product cycles.

Back