Votes: 108 30.6%
  • Yes, I will wait for the R580 or next NVIDIA

Votes: 47 13.3%
  • No, I am still looking to buy a R520

Votes: 56 15.9%
  • Don't care, I am keeping my current card for 6 months +

Votes: 142 40.2%

• Total voters
Your poll doesnt have enough options. There are rumors that it will come out for AGP. If this is true, and if NV doesnt do the same very soon afterwards, then no its not too late. Most people still have AGP systems.

For me, it would have to be at least 20% faster than my GTX for me to upgrade, in the games I play. Or perhaps a little less, and with some new features.

Brent_Justice said:
With pure FPS the argument comes in, how many FPS can the eye see? It has been proven through military tests that we can perceive frames at at least 1/220th of a second. The eyes see "continuously" with rods and cones and do not see in "frames per second" like a computer displays. Comparing our eyes to FPS numbers is like comparing apples and oranges, they are two very different things. In reality people have been able to tell the differences in framerates well over 200 FPS.

I would say Brent just owned the "eyes can only see 32fps" bullshit...I for one, can SEE the fricking difference between 60fps and 100fps...

...but as long as my fps are steady and "high enough" I am happy...give me a card that will maintain between 50-70 fps all day, over the one that hits highs of 90 but drops to the low 40's....

soulsaver_8229 said:
oh you sure owned me omg i should go crawl in my virutal hole huh? ;)

actualy you just posted games like Doom3 which we all know runs better on nvidia cards......
2 games that show better preformence, by 30-40 fps......

of which your eye cant see :(

and you actualy helped my point out, you pasted Guild Wars link, and theres a 2fps diffrence from the GTX and the xtpe lol........nice and smooth sir

you havent shown me real world proof yet sir :( so you still lose nice work tho, you should thank Tera for the link tho

soulsaver_8229

Look at the rest of the damn article troll. There are like twenty games one there, on all of which the GTX owns your precious X850XTPE.

Thank Terra for the link? This is from anandtech, which is very well known for one thing, and which also came up after two seconds on google. I'm sorry but now you just sound retarded.

--------

Guildwars isn't demanding, so that makes the X850XTPE equal to a GTX? Look at the guild wars 2048x1536 4x AA tests, 7800GTX gets 52.2 fps (notice this is a 3 fps change from the 1600x1200 4x AA levels) and X850XTPE gets 36.6 fps. That means the GTX performance was 142% times the X850XTPE's performance. No difference?

And just look at the non AA tests, the gap just widens. 110.7 to 58.6 @ 1600x1200 no AA, 91.4 to 58.3 @ 2048x1536 no AA.

And I included Halflife 2, if your puny brain happened to notice that. What's that you say, it's BIASED TOWARDS ATI? Well let's look at the numbers:
1600x1200 4x AA: 119 to 100 fps
1600x1200 no AA: 136.5 to 123
2048x1536 4x AA: 69.3 to 52.5
2048x1536 no AA: 114.7 to 89.4

The 7800GTX performs at 119%, 111%, 132%, and 128% compared to the X850XTPE. Now let's look at prices. The 7800GTX can be easily found for $470 (even $465) on both Newegg.com and Zipzoomfly.com. Using froogle I found one for $443.30 here:
http://www.laptops4me.com/product_info.php/products_id/9441

Now the X850XTPE. I found a refurbished one for $360 and a new one for $459 - a $75 mail in rebate (PCI-E). Including the MIR, that means the 7800GTX's price is 122% of the X850XT PE.

The average FPS increase in Halflife 2 is 122.5%. Now that means that in an ATI-BIASED game, you will get exactly the same value for your dollar with either of these products. Now for the same value, which would you pick, the one with higher or the one with lower performance? Also note that the X850XT PE is only available during September for that price (then that MIR expires), while the 7800GTX is available for both $465 and $469 on two separate sites.

There's nothing bad about the GTX. It performs >20% better in an ATI-optimized game for 20% more money, what more can you ask for?

Please don't feed the trolls :D

It will be interesting to see the space of time between the R520 launch and the R580 launch.

Not to mention NVIDIA's response (if any).

I personally think anyone waiting for the R520 may as well wait for the R580 as it's just around the corner.

I bought my 6800gt / Athlon 64 3400+ Clawhammer computer last July, and I plan to keep it 2 more years, so a total of 3 years. Once college starts (2007), I will build a new computer for vista.

I bought a 7800GTX and find it will hold me over until the R520. I can't wait to get back to clear text and no graphical errors.

Russ said:
There's nothing bad about the GTX. It performs >20% better in an ATI-optimized game for 20% more money, what more can you ask for?

Regular driver releases that don't break more than they fix? That would be a great start.

/sick of beta borked NV drivers

I want to see what to top of the line (R580?) cards can do in Cross Fire mode before I get my new stuff.

R1ckCa1n said:
I bought a 7800GTX and find it will hold me over until the R520. I can't wait to get back to clear text and no graphical errors.
lol. its amazing how the mind sees what the person wants too see.

Regular driver releases that don't break more than they fix? That would be a great start.

/sick of beta borked NV drivers
theyre called BETA drivers because theyre BETA and not supported by nvidia. i stick to official realeses and i have NEVER had a problem.

R1ckCa1n said:
If you're getting "unclear" text and graphical errors, then you should have used less Vaseline when you were installing the card. Or more. I'm not sure which.

soulsaver_8229 said:
o rly? no actualy he didnt own me, he just made me realize i am wrong.........maybe i was thinking of a tv being 32fps.........hrumm ah well, i admit i am wrong fair enough, no one owned anyone here

and no YOU cant tell 60fps and 100fps........if you can, then you have some freeking HELLA sensitive eyes.......you could however like Brent said see a drop rate of 100 to 60, which hell anyone can

but whatever your intitled to believe as you wish i myself will stick to real world experince, not lab tested.........that tells me a video card is stong enough to run those games, real world tells me which one is better......

soulsaver_8229
Dude. Please stop arguing this, it's thoroughly pointless and your designation between "real life" and "lab tested" is stupid.

Don't care, I am keeping my current card for 6 months + is what a picked but

im not upgrading for another 1 to 2 years.. dont really feel the need to do so

Russ said:
Look at the rest of the damn article troll.

I'm sorry but now you just sound retarded.

I have a word for you

circumlocutious

for you the definition would read:
The next time I think of calling someone retarded and accuse them of being a troll (however richly deserved you feel that may be} I will practice arriving at that implication by a more roundabout fashion, lest I again run afoul of the rules at [H]ardForums and get my post reported again to an Admin that really has better things to do :p

the tolerance level is different from forum to forum and video cards in particular is a hotbed
where it best to mind your P's & Q's, crossing your T's and doting your i's isnt a bad idea either.

Here let me give you an example:

you know the <insert argument being riduiculed here> is about as relevant as scuba gear for a seal,
and your insightful commentary about as sharp as a bag full of wet mice.

now see how easy that was? :p

PS this was an official warning, and unfortunately does count ;)

and this one goes out to soulsaver_8229

while the last two posts you made where technically within the namecalling and flaming rules
they do display a callous disregard for the flamebaiting rule especially since they follow a flame. Thus they are history

your welcome to make your arguments regarding the topic again
the topic however isnt your interaction with Russ who has already earned a note.

everybody play nice, or there wont be this thread to play in at all ;)

Too late for what?

You dont know what slot format its going to come in, how it stacks up to the current competition, what exact features it has, or how much it's going to cost *but feel free to toss around words like "pipes" and ddr3 and make some expert calculations as to what kinda benchmarks it will throw up*

So how in the hell can anyone seriously sit there and say WELL ITS TOO LATE FOR YOU ATI, I blew my $500 2 1/2 weeks after the flagship brand X card came out cause I need the latest and greatest!!

I....I just don't get the odd mentality that everyone gets when they enter this forum.

on topic Id say

"too late" refers to capturing a sufficent marketshare in this gen
a view that Wall Street seems to hold,

another in a very long list of fab issues impacting rollout and adoption
this time it was ATi
nearly everyone has had a turn getting whipped by that one

There is no game out there right now that I cant pretty much max out with my X800 XT PE and the only slightly demanding game out now is BF2 so its is not too late for me. If anything the timing is just right so I can see how it runs all the new games slated for fall.

just posting to say sorry for aiding in turning this thread into what it is..........

i was stating my views and opinions, and i think i, like many others are just getting bored with the threads about ATI loseing market share, stocks are down, losing customer base ect.......

ATI is a great company with great products, and great support...........Nvida is as well, my brothers ti4200 ran great untill fan died but thats cause he managed to spill tea, smoke, and dust all over his lain li-pc65.......

anyway, i dont "perfer" any card over the other, but for my needs and future needs, im going with the AIW x800xt agp.........

as for ATI being late? like Ice said which i agree with i believe you mean late as with market shareing and such.......but im sure once people see what a great card they have lined up, it will bounce back up with the relese........only time will tell obviously

but, ill leave this thread alone, this is no flame bait, i appoligie it got out of hand to the point an admin had to step in.........

soulsaver_8229

Aaron_ATX said:
Too late for what?

Certain people who have been waiting for a R520, decided to get a 7xxx series instead.

Also, the delay has pushed it close to the schedule for the R580. If you waited this long for the R520 why not wait a few more months for the R580?

PRIME1 said:
Certain people who have been waiting for a R520, decided to get a 7xxx series instead.

Also, the delay has pushed it close to the schedule for the R580. If you waited this long for the R520 why not wait a few more months for the R580?

I think then they are truly waiting too long. "something around the corner" mentality.

Now if ATI doesn't have something out end of this month/october...truly too late.
Besides I'm sure the R580 will be equavalent to the 9700 to the 9800s

I thought I read that it would be late december before they could get larg shipments of the R520 out. It might come out in oct. but good luck getting it... It was theinquirer i read that on i think... an artical about no 7800ultra i belive

Found it!
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25949

I(illa Bee said:
I thought I read that it would be late december before they could get larg shipments of the R520 out. It might come out in oct. but good luck getting it... It was theinquirer i read that on i think... an artical about no 7800ultra i belive

Found it!
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25949

:rolleyes:
theinquirer

why not report from Bob's Videocard site then.

Netrat33 said:
:rolleyes:
theinquirer

why not report from Bob's Videocard site then.
Better yet,read this forum. People here know everything about the new ATI cards.

PRIME1 said:
Please don't feed the trolls :D

It will be interesting to see the space of time between the R520 launch and the R580 launch.

Not to mention NVIDIA's response (if any).

I personally think anyone waiting for the R520 may as well wait for the R580 as it's just around the corner.
Id say forget the 520 and release the 580.

Netrat33 said:
I think then they are truly waiting too long. "something around the corner" mentality.

Now if ATI doesn't have something out end of this month/october...truly too late.
Besides I'm sure the R580 will be equavalent to the 9700 to the 9800s

nah. this is different from most people's "there's something better coming" attitude. The r580 is on schedule but the r520 has been seriously delayed. That means that people who upgrade to an r520 will spend almost no time with their card at the top.

Now, if we were back when the 7800GTX (early/mid summer) was about to come out and people were saying that the G80 is close, so I'm gonna wait for that, then THAT is waiting too long.

PRIME1 said:

This will probably be the only option.

soulsaver_8229 said:
what im getting at is, my point is very valid.........unless you want to crank out max aa/af or whatever you want, you wont notice a diffrence in gaming between a 7800 and x800xtpe.............your trying to deny the fact that last gen can compare with new gen

soulsaver_8229

Which a very high end card should be able to do.

You're saying that a honda civic is just as fast as a ferrari, using the speed limit as proof.

An x850xt-pe can not run FEAR 1680x1050, 4xAA 16xAF, soft shadows on, everything maxed playably, as defined by consistently over 30FPS. The 7800gtx can. Period.

Stupidity is the bane of mankind.

OOOOOkaaaaayyyyy.... (back on topic)

I picked number 4: not upgrading for at least six months. Truthfully, my answer would have been closer to number 1, except that I went for the 6800 Ultra instead of waitng for the 7800 GTX to come out. Yeah, I really wanted the 7800 GTX but I can't complain too much... the arrival of the 7800 helped me get my 6800U for $350. :D

Back