Is the PS4 Neo worth the wait?

I've been looking to purchase a cheap PS4 to play some games but I've recently read about the Neo one.

Should I wait for it or go with the "old one" instead?

I'd at least wait for them to tell us what they plan to do with it.

I've been looking to purchase a cheap PS4 to play some games but I've recently read about the Neo one.

Should I wait for it or go with the "old one" instead?

That depends entirely on you. If you NEED to play a game on there asap then the answer is obvious, but if you have no pressing games you need to play then wait. I honesty would wait until they release more info, but it'll be releasing over a year from now. So like I said it's entirely up to you based on how badly you want to play that games. The PS4 is still a fantastic console and even if you did wait for PS4.5 then there likely won't be many games right away that take advantage of its extra horsepower. Plus, I am confident that Best Buy, Gamestop and perhaps other retailers will have a trade-up program if you want to get the updated version.

Huh? I heard it was supposed to be out by this holiday season.

No it's definitely not being released this year. Anyone saying otherwise is pure speculation. Sony hasn't announced it. Microsoft Project Scorpio will be out Holiday 2017 and I imagine Neo will be right around that time; maybe a little sooner.

Depends on what you feel like doing with the system. If you have or are planning to buy a 4K TV and want 4K blu-ray then you might want to wait. If you, like most everyone else, do not give a toss about 4K get the current model. If you want to get the PSVR get the Neo. If you don't care about VR then just get the normal one. If you want a cheap system, then that will not be the Neo. I wouldn't be surprised if the Neo was $600.

Huh? I heard it was supposed to be out by this holiday season.

Early next year I believe. There are some rumors saying it will release this year, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you want to get the PSVR get the Neo. If you don't care about VR then just get the normal one. .

This is misleading for a couple reasons. The big one is that PSVR works amazingly well on current-gen PS4s as evidenced by the many people that have tried them now that they are being demoed at a bunch of places. I personally will be trying out the PSVR at the Gamestop about 40 minutes from my house this weekend so I can come back and verify and compare since I also have a Vive. There are no confirmations that a Neo console would be any better for VR. Yes, common sense would say so but again nothing has been confirmed and we have no idea how it would be any better if at all.

I hope so, I am waiting for one. PS4 slim is supposed to be out this fall too. Good way for Sony to cut the price to $299 to make it more attractive for those who don't want to spend $399 on the Neo. (totally guessing on prices)

I hope so, I am waiting for one. PS4 slim is supposed to be out this fall too. Good way for Sony to cut the price to $299 to make it more attractive for those who don't want to spend $399 on the Neo. (totally guessing on prices)

The Xbox One slim is coming out this year. There has been no mention of a slim PS4 from Sony, only vague rumors of it maybe happening.

TGS is coming up and most in the know look around are saying NEO will be revealed then and launch this holiday. It is no match for Scorpio they will be pretty far apart in specs. with a gpu difference of 4.1TF for NEO and 6TF for Scorpio.

But we shall see lots of informative stuff in several leaks in some Neogaf threads. once you dig thru the garbage.

Spec Analysis: Xbox Project Scorpio

It's a rumor that's been out for a few days now. Sony’s answer to the Xbox One S expected to launch in September

People are saying Sony is going to start taking Apple's "Available Now" approach to announcing stuff. That's why they are waiting until this fall to announce both new systems.

That would be a VERY bad idea. Retail stores would have to have days or weeks to prepare for that kind of thing. Sega learned that the hard way with the Saturn. If they launch the Neo at the same time as well they damn well better make sure developers are ready.

No it's definitely not being released this year. Anyone saying otherwise is pure speculation. Sony hasn't announced it. Microsoft Project Scorpio will be out Holiday 2017 and I imagine Neo will be right around that time; maybe a little sooner.
Virtually everything out there says this fall for the Neo. Granted nothing is in stone, but at this time i don't know why we shouldnt expect that.

Virtually everything out there says this fall for the Neo. Granted nothing is in stone, but at this time i don't know why we shouldnt expect that.

The same rumors stating this fall also started that Sony would have a big reveal for it at E3. It's not impossible that it could still launch this fall, but it seems unlikely at the moment.

Why would they need a PS4 slim? The regular one is already the same size as an Xbox One slim.

Umm, what? That has NOTHING to do with hardware revisions. Slim systems cost less to make so the company makes more money off of them. It also allows price reductions to happen because of it. The console maker can also use that to update some things to modern standards as well or improve things like the wifi card, hard drive connector, and so on.

We have a 4k set right now so definitely picking one up... Also going to grab the VR set

I'm hoping the next 18 months gives MS plenty of time to re-think what Scorpio is all about. They about-faced on a bunch of stuff with the Xbox One in a few weeks, so I'm hopeful they'll do the same with the whole "4K-only" nonsense.

I'm hoping the next 18 months gives MS plenty of time to re-think what Scorpio is all about. They about-faced on a bunch of stuff with the Xbox One in a few weeks, so I'm hopeful they'll do the same with the whole "4K-only" nonsense.

When did they say 4K only?

Saying you won't see all the benefits if you don't own a 4KTV is not the same as saying it won't work on non-4K sets. Which is what your "4K-only" statement implies. He is saying that it's probably not worth it if you don't own 4KTV and aren't planning to get one.

Really? C'mon. I don't think anyone is going to come to that extreme of a conclusion with the term "4K-only." That's like assuming the Xbox 360 won't work on older TV's because it was pitched as HD.
The meat of the matter is that it offers 0 benefits outside of 4K. That's even less of a benefit from the 360 on an SDTV.

I think Sony may be back in the drawing boards on the release date, they probably don't want to be one-upped by Microsoft.

Really? C'mon. I don't think anyone is going to come to that extreme of a conclusion with the term "4K-only." That's like assuming the Xbox 360 won't work on older TV's because it was pitched as HD.
The meat of the matter is that it offers 0 benefits outside of 4K. That's even less of a benefit from the 360 on an SDTV.

As someone that owned a 360 and SDTV, I'd actually say the same could and should have been said about that system. Games looked horrible on a SDTV, more then they probably should have.

Neither the neo or the scorpio machine will be able to push 4K games at 60 fps - pretty much guarantee that. They'll play around with dynamic resolution

Neither the neo or the scorpio machine will be able to push 4K games at 60 fps - pretty much guarantee that. They'll play around with dynamic resolution

It doesn't seem like either truly cares about 60fps. MS especially. If they wanted to push 1080p/60 with Scorpio they certainly could. 1080p/60 or 4K/30...choose which you prefer. I do think dynamic res will be used either way. Just based on what it takes to push 4K/30 on a PC, that's still a tall mountain.

30 FPS is fine in most console games, but I think 4K is useless on consoles at this time. The PS Neo sounds more interesting to me, although the specs seem like they won't be that much of an upgrade.

This is misleading for a couple reasons. The big one is that PSVR works amazingly well on current-gen PS4s as evidenced by the many people that have tried them now that they are being demoed at a bunch of places. I personally will be trying out the PSVR at the Gamestop about 40 minutes from my house this weekend so I can come back and verify and compare since I also have a Vive. There are no confirmations that a Neo console would be any better for VR. Yes, common sense would say so but again nothing has been confirmed and we have no idea how it would be any better if at all.

VR will be significantly better on a Neo. No ifs, ands or buts required.

VR is very very performance sensitive in a way that's hard to explain to someone who hasn't used a VR headset for 30+ minutes in a single session. Even if you have a GTX 970 and go to a 1080, the difference is palpable. You can quote this post, bookmark and come back to it, if the Neo isn't significantly better at VR come back and ridicule me.

VR will be significantly better on a Neo. No ifs, ands or buts required.

VR is very very performance sensitive in a way that's hard to explain to someone who hasn't used a VR headset for 30+ minutes in a single session. Even if you have a GTX 970 and go to a 1080, the difference is palpable. You can quote this post, bookmark and come back to it, if the Neo isn't significantly better at VR come back and ridicule me.

I know very well how performance sensitive VR is as I have a Vive as well, but my point was is that you don't NEED a Neo to enjoy the PSVR. But, again you are comparing the PS4 to PC graphics which is not fair as most developers will go for performance parity across platforms. I am sure the Neo will be better but not in a noticeable way as the resolution, lenses, and performance minimums are very strict through Sony. So I highly doubt anybody will notice a difference between the Neo and regular PS4 when it comes to real-world noticeable differences.

But whatever, this is all speculation until we see the real numbers after the Neo is released. All I know is that there is no way i'll be upgrading my PS4 as I already have a Vive and the PSVR will work just fine with my PS4.

Back