Is the Performance Mouse MX really as bad as some people make it out to be?

I've been debating whether or not to get this mouse for the longest time, but some of the sour reviews have made me weary of it. It looks awesome IMO and it would be cool to be able to use it on glass, but I have heard that it has some major connection issues and ghosting. Can anyone verify this? Do you recommend it?

I've read the reviews and disagree for the most part.

I had a Revolution MX, and because Logitech doesn't make them anymore, Logitech sent me a brand new Performance MX in place of it.

Since then, I like it better. It does take a bit of time to get used to, because it is a larger mouse. I have small hands, so it's a bit much. But after a while you forget about it.

Okay, I do have one more thing to add.

I hate the charger. It's some weird ultra slim micro USB charger. It's sometimes difficult to get in.

I missed the dock charger that the Revolution had.

Battery life is about 2.5-3 weeks before you need to charge it. Depends on your usage.

I have one of each and much prefer the Revolution - the Performance feels like a backstep in several ways.

For me, the Revolution feels better in my hand (maybe I'm just more used to it since I've owned it longer) and I prefer its button placement, though I do appreciate that the Performance has a few more thumb buttons to use. Like wiseoracle said the charger on the Revolution is better as well - it just sits on my desk and doesn't make me have yet another cable laying around.

The worst thing though to me about the Performance is that some buttons like the center click and (I think) scroll click cannot be changed in Setpoint. There may be hacked drivers out there that enable this functionality (there are for the Revolution), but it's annoying for me in games that I can't use buttons.

I had the Performance and while it's a pretty nice mouse, as others have said it's a little bit bigger than the Revolution but it just was always a little bit "off" for some reason.
As for the connection issues/ghosting, I only had problems with it when the receiver was farther away or sometimes a fast jolt on glass will cause it to get confused.

I actually ended up with a G700 and I like that better than both.

It's worse than the revolution.
It's less comfortable, you'll always be touching the stupid shiny plastic, the charging isn't as good, and the button placement is stupid.
The revolution is better, and the mx1100 is better than that.

my mx1100 died and i got the mx performance and i like it just fine. I've been using it for a week now but the only issue i had was the back and forwards thumb buttons are too high up and too far back.

the back button is especially uncomfortable to reach but I fixed the problem by changing the zoom button (which is below the forward/back buttons) to be the back button and it's now perfectly comfortable

the one thing I miss is the dpi buttons near the left click that the revolution had. I changed that one to volume and got used to it but the performance doesn't have that button

Wow, I can't believe people don't like this mouse. I have bigger than average hands, and let me say I LOVE this mouse.

I use one at work 40-60 hrs/wk and am considering buying one for use at home as well. The thumb button is one that every mouse I buy needs to have. I am a constant music listener and the thumb button is the best for play/pause fluid computing that I've found so far. The switch from smooth to ridge scrolling is on top which is better than my g9x which is on the bottom. I do use the toggle so I hope logitech doesn't do anything with it.

Scroll wheel click is a little hard but that's because that's only with smooth scrolling toggled. The feel and weight is so well I can use it walking around on my leg, or sitting at a desk.

Range is amazing too, and haven't had any noticable lag issues however I've yet to test it's gaming performance.

Battery is good considering my heavy usage.

The thumb button really needs to be integrated into the g9x, tbh, I wish I could get the Performance MX in a wired version with the design focus on high dpi/precision.

The battery life of the performance mx is rather weak in comparison to other mouses. I previously had a Logitech MX1100, its specified battery life was 9months, but in my actual usage I got about 1-2months. I use the mouse for work heavily, 5-6hours daily.

The Logitech Performance MX however is only specified to last 30days of battery life. In my typical usage pattern I was only able to get out 2-3days of battery life. I thought it was defective unit and got a 2nd one, but it yielded no difference.

Note however the MX1100 uses two AA battery while the Performance MX only use one AA. Even if it did use two it still wouldn't have lasted as long. I like the mouse, it works just as good as my MX1100 minus the poor battery life.

The Performance sucks. Plain and simple.

I use a Microsoft X8 and its pretty damn big. I've got BIG hands. The Performance is TOO big. Like, ridiculously so.

Not only that but button placement is the worst. I really, honestly, don't know what the HELL Logitech was thinking.

Just a horrible horrible mouse all the way around.

I had one for a short time and enjoyed it while I had it.
The thumb button p,a cement was odd since I had to really reach to hit the furthest forward side button, so I just never used that one.

I sold it and bought the g700, which is a nicer mouse but didn't feel as comfortable as the performance mx.

My favorite mouse was the MX1000. Middle mouse button failed first then it started to do a double click when you single clicked.

I love the mouse. You can get the exact same mouse body from several other makers like Elecom or Belkin. It has been a very popular mouse since it has come out, so other companies have sourced the maker for their own mice as well...

You don't think Logitech is an OEM, do you? They are a rebrander. I can go to the local market in China or Japan and see about 6-10 mice that are based on that body.

Wow, I can't believe people don't like this mouse. I have bigger than average hands, and let me say I LOVE this mouse.

Have you ever used an MX revolution?

From my experience, most people who've used the MX revolution tend to hate (ir not like as much) the performance MX and consider it a downgrade. I am one of those people. Of the people i know who have never used an MX revolution and got the performance MX, they tend to love it.

Just stumbled across this thread, As an owner of a dying revolution I am glad I did not jump on the performance bandwagon. I have a MX1100 sitting snugly in my closet unused for 3 years....why? its a big ass mouse and clumsy to wield. It seems that my choices are limited at best...anyone else have some constructive suggestions?

Sorry I neglected this thread guys, I really appreciate your input! I have never had one of logitech's higher quality mice before, so I don't think i'll have a whole lot to complain about when I finally pull the trigger and get a new one. The general consensus seems to be that the Performance MX is great for people who have never had the Revolution, and for the people who have had it, it is awful. Since I fall into the first category, I'm most likely going to go with the Performance MX, although I will still consider a few others before I buy. If anyone is still following this thread, what is your opinion of the R.A.T. 9?

Just stumbled across this thread, As an owner of a dying revolution I am glad I did not jump on the performance bandwagon. I have a MX1100 sitting snugly in my closet unused for 3 years....why? its a big ass mouse and clumsy to wield. It seems that my choices are limited at best...anyone else have some constructive suggestions?

You want to buy another revolution? I've got one sitting on my desk.

You want to buy another revolution? I've got one sitting on my desk.

Thanks for the offer, I actually have a few and they all are more or less sitting at deaths door(depending on when I finally get fed up and throw one at the wall) I brought the performance MX out of storage to see if I can live with the eccentricities of the device, if not I'll probably go a different route not sure what that is yet though.

Having never used the Revolution, I can say that the Performance MX is a good mouse for me. I have used it exclusively on my Mac with USB Overdrive software and I really like the mouse. I would say if you've never used the Revolution, you may like it.

I would probably take any mouse vs the one I currently have, it's as basic of a laser mouse as you can get unless you can find out without a scroll wheel :|

Having never owned a mouse that I did not think would benefit from being larger... I'm tempted to check out the Performance MX.

I've read the reviews and disagree for the most part.

I had a Revolution MX, and because Logitech doesn't make them anymore, Logitech sent me a brand new Performance MX in place of it.

Since then, I like it better. It does take a bit of time to get used to, because it is a larger mouse. I have small hands, so it's a bit much. But after a while you forget about it.

same thing happed to me.

i loved my rev mx mouse, it was small and comfortable but the damn scroll wheel kept fking up so i replaced it with a performance mx.

at first i hated it but now i like it. i use it jsut to browse, i dont play games anymore when when i did, i felt like it was a little bit slow in response time (counter strike player here) ... or maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me.

I have it, and I quite enjoy it. I've been using the same charge about a week and a half now and it's comfortable.

I don't do too much gaming though, but if you do, the G700 might be a better choice.

Back