Is the note series the only phones that have a stylus?

Spyhawk

Limp Gawd
Im a Galaxy Note user. Have been since the Note 3. I now have the Note 5 and up till the time Note 7s started having battery issues, that was the phone I was hoping to get. Now Im kinda stuck as I dont think there are any phones that are comparable atm that have a stylus.

The LG Stylo uses a capacitive stylus (meaning it has a rounded rubberized end on it) but it's incredibly sensitive, pretty amazing actually but because of how the rubberized material feels against the glass it's sortakinda tough to use it as easily as the Note's stylus which has Wacom-enabled hardware in it so it has a much finer pencil/pen-like point which is more traditional.

There's nothing on the market today that equates directly to the Samsung Note series that I'm aware of - all the competing products like the Stylo use capacitive styluses. There are other models from less well-known Chinese manufacturers but the Stylo tends to be the best name branded one aside from the Notes themselves.

I think the Note line has the market cornered for a modern day phone with stylus.

A sort of but not really solution may be getting a universal stylus to work with an equally powerfull phone. Such as:

Wacom Global

Of course app support is another issue....

Unfortunately, I've been looking far and wide and still can't find any other manufacturer with the balls to put an active digitizer pen inside of a smartphone.

I didn't mind as much, since the first four Notes were class-leading devices and had all the features I could ask for and then some. I still swear by my Note 4.

But then the Note 5 removed a lot of functionality, and the Note 7 is officially history. Someone needs to beat Samsung at their own game and make what amounts to the Note 4 with a modern SoC and USB-C.

It could've been LG, but they think a crappy downgraded version of the G3 or G4 with a capacitive stylus silo is adequate instead of slapping a Wacom digitizer into the V10 or V20 like they should have. Also, they have a thing for locked bootloaders, and I have to remind myself that the G3 only has the dev scene it does due to what amounts to a fakesigning bug.

It could've been Microsoft, the current champions of pen computing, but the rumors about the Lumia 950 XL having Surface Pen support sadly ended up being false.

It could've been Google, but sealed batteries and no microSD = no sale. The inflated pricing of the Pixel XL sure isn't swaying me, either.

The problem with the fancier capacitive styluses like the Bamboo Fineline and Intuos Creative Stylus 2 is that they're seen as no different from your fingers on most devices, so you can forget about palm rejection. Hover cursors also aren't an option, and pressure sensitivity is hit and miss. Anything fancier requires a unique capacitive digitizer implementation, much like N-trig or Wacom AES (not to be confused with Wacom EMR, used in their drawing tablets, the Galaxy Note line and most older Tablet PCs).

At least the core pen input APIs have been in Android for a while now, despite Google not bothering to provide a capable developer reference platform for a while now. This is why you can still use the pen with a Galaxy Note running an AOSP-derived ROM, and why the Cintiq Companion Hybrid has working pen support in all the same apps despite running "stock Android" with minimal modifications. You don't need TouchWiz to reap the benefits.

Rumors are mounting up that the Galaxy S8 Plus will include a stylus and replace the Note line. But I still wouldn't preorder it.

I think you have to wait for the next Note. The Note 5 should be good until it comes out. I'm sure Samsung has made the next version a high priority. Reading over at XDA Developers, there seems to be a number of people who are holding onto their Note 7. Samsung has got to know that if they come out with the 8 sooner than later, they will get the sales again.

Back