Is the Nexus 6 still worth getting?

Wiseguy2001

2[H]4U
I've just seen the price reductions for the Nexus 6 64gb, £310 (the 64gb Nexus 6P is £500). I've had a look at both on my screen side by side and the old version is just a few mm wider (same height, due to the 6P having wider bezels top and bottom). Both are quite a big size increase from my current Nexus 5.

Is the 6P worth the 60% price increase?

I've got a mate with a Nexus6, I'll have to borrow it and had a closer look.

I just bought nexus 6, I haven't opened it yet as I'm still debating getting the 6p but honestly the extra $180 I would have to spend doesn't seem to get me much.

I just bought nexus 6, I haven't opened it yet as I'm still debating getting the 6p but honestly the extra $180 I would have to spend doesn't seem to get me much.

It doesn't- you get a fingerprint scanner and a 810 (vs 805) processor. RAM is the same. The camera may be a bit better, but you also lose OIS that was found in the N6. If you want Qi then your only option is the N6.

It doesn't- you get a fingerprint scanner and a 810 (vs 805) processor.

I don't think the hardware comparison is as straight forward as you're making it sound.

RAM is the same.

3GB of DDR3 on the Nexus 6 vs 3GB of DDR4 on the Nexus 6P. The difference in responsiveness can be significant if the Samsung Galaxy S6 line is any indication.

The camera may be a bit better, but you also lose OIS that was found in the N6.

Eh, its been demonstrated in Moto X Pure vs Nexus 6 comparisons that OIS is not the end-all, be-all of camera performance. In fact the MXPE is shown to be have superior video stability despite not having it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4PcqaJR2JJQ#t=368

Low light performance on the N6 is also not any better than the MXPE, despite its OIS.

If you want Qi then your only option is the N6.

No argument here.

HOWEVER, I will say that the Nexus 6 is still worth it if the 6P's price is too rich for your blood and you need a phone right now. The base model for the 6P starts at $499, whereas the N6 starts at $349 for the same amount of onboard storage or $399 for double the storage. Assuming you can deal with the size that's a $100-$150 savings, and you still get the benefits of flagship specs and updates straight from Google.

I would rather have the 6P just for being more hand friendly (it's actually 5mm narrower and the curved edges also help ergonomics) and it seems like they'll have a decent AMOLED display this time. The old N6's display was a pretty sub-par display for an AMOLED with its infamous yellow tint and burn-in issues. Not anywhere near comparable to the Note 4 at the time they came out. I would rather have a decent LCD display like the G4's or Moto X Pure's than a lower quality AMOLED. Google is claiming they got it right this time with the 6P and they're using a higher-end Samsung display now, hopefully the same that's in the Note5.

I don't care about camera or wireless charging either, so I'm not going to miss that over previous Nexus phones.

Or you could buy a used LG G3, flash it with a custom rom, and pocket $100 or so. Slightly slower processor, sure, but less cash, 32GB internal storage with SD card expansion, removable battery, great screen, good community support...

People act like you have to get your updates from Google direct... Find a build of CM 12.1 that works for you, and be happy.

Most of the N6's hardware sacrifices relative to current flagships seem like they're worth the huge price break. The one thing that isn't for me is the size and ergonomics. I was able to try both the N6 and MXPE in-store recently, and the difference in feel/hand-holdability was every bit as huge as most of the reviews claim. I'm not one to rank ergonomics at the very top of my priority list, but feeling the difference between the two definitely made an impression, thinking about my various use cases.

Being that the N6P appears fairly similar in footprint to the MXPE -- which is to say, much nicer to hold than the N6 -- I'd probably pony up the extra $150 just for that reason, with hardware upgrades as a nice bonus.

Or you could buy a used LG G3, flash it with a custom rom, and pocket $100 or so. Slightly slower processor, sure, but less cash, 32GB internal storage with SD card expansion, removable battery, great screen, good community support...

People act like you have to get your updates from Google direct... Find a build of CM 12.1 that works for you, and be happy.

Not everyone wants to screw around with flashing roms to find something that works. I like to get official support out of the box.

It's still worth it. We are to the point of incremental hardware changes in cell phones. Adding more processing power to phones isn't changing the experience. I wanted to hate the N6 because of its size but it's a damn good phone.

Is a Nexus 6 going to feel like a bug upgrade from my G2? I keep reading so many conflicting things about its camera, battery life etc.

I have an Galaxy S5, and placed my order for a 6P on Prooject Fi..

from what I've read the dings against the N6 is that its "cheap plasticy" feeling, and the fact it's so weird to hold.

the 6P is aluminum body and geting great reviews all around. Only thing that makes me sad is that there's no Qi Charging, and its not IP67 rated like my S5. If I could have a 6P with those two features I'd never want another phone again.

Is the nexus 6 a big phone, hell yeah but I love mine. I had a galaxy S5 before this phone and at first it was hard to handle. After owning it for a little while I would really struggle with a smaller screen phone. It's awesome for watching videos and playing games.

I personally would buy a nexus 6 right now over the 6p. The specs just aren't that much better to justify spending another $150+ on it. It's not like we are talking about a carrier phone that might not get another update, with the nexus 6 you should have 2 more years of updates coming too.

We really are to the point where specs are irrelevant to me. I'd rather know I'm going to get updates then have the fastest processor out there. I mean really lets be honest, the SD805 is more then enough cpu for a phone.

Finger print scanner and aluminum body I could care less about. The nexus 6 is still a damn good phone

I believe nexus 6 is more worth than samsungs phones. Plus right now nexus 6 often has sale for about $300 for 32gb brand new. seeing on slickdeals, its amazing how low the price is right now

I believe nexus 6 is more worth than samsungs phones. Plus right now nexus 6 often has sale for about $300 for 32gb brand new. seeing on slickdeals, its amazing how low the price is right now
They were down in the $250 range yesterday. I don't know where, it was on my Google Now feed. I'd be all over that if I needed a phone

from what I've read the dings against the N6 is that its "cheap plasticy" feeling, and the fact it's so weird to hold.
I really don't get the "cheap plasticy" complaint. The fit and finish of the phone is tight with no flex and the buttons feel great.

I think it's weird to hold because of the slick feel more than the size.

I've had the 6 since the original price drop in June and I really like it. It is big but once I accepted that it's not a one handed device I don't mind the size at all. I do still keep my 4.7" Moto X for the rare occasions where the 6 is too big to carry; for me that's maybe once every couple of months.

I would still recommend the 6 over the 6P if you are watching your budget.

If I had to buy one or the other today I'd probably go with the 6P as I have a weakness for new shiny things, but I would certainly miss Qi wireless charging.

So Verizon is going to jack up my plan by $20 - to hell with them. I ordered a Nexus 6 from ebay and will be switching to Fi. I hope it works out.

I upgraded from a Moto G (gen 1) to the nexus 6 last week. Used the $300 ebay deal. No regrets so far. Screen does get yellowish/pink at low intensity, but this doesnt really bother me.

I upgraded from a Moto G (gen 1) to the nexus 6 last week. Used the $300 ebay deal. No regrets so far. Screen does get yellowish/pink at low intensity, but this doesnt really bother me.

Something funny about the yellowish tint on the AMOLED screens Moto uses: Areas that suffer from burn-in lose the yellowish tint.

Noticed it on my '13 X when the status and navigation bars burned in while my phone was charging.

I ended up trading from my Nexus 6 to a Note 5. The reliability on the phone is horrible, and my impression on the Nexus line has dropped. After two 6s doing the same thing and Noone seems to know what is up, I made the switch. And not looking back.

Maybe LG or others who develop for the Nexus line may steer me again. But for now I'm happy with the Note 5.

I would like to get back in the Nexus 6 game. Anywhere I can still get a brand new unopened Cloud White 32GB Nexus 6 for the $299 deal ?

I would like to get back in the Nexus 6 game. Anywhere I can still get a brand new unopened Cloud White 32GB Nexus 6 for the $299 deal ?

Seems OOS everywhere. It'll probably be back if you wait. Only thing that is not really on sale but has a promotion is the Moto X Pure with 20%+10% bonus "cash" on jet.

I had a shit load of issues with my nexus 6 on Verizon, I switched to T-Mobile and everything is great now. My phone got terrible signal on Verizon, way worse then my old galaxy S5 did. I'd get 20+% of cell stand by and 10-20% time with no signal. For some reason the nexus wouldn't hold the Verizon signal at all. I switched to T-Mobile and get 4 bars of signal and fast lte in the house and never get any time with no signal.

PSA - most of the Nexus 6 phones being sold are refurbs and most of them will have burn in because the panel used in this phone is simply terrible. Learnt this the hard way after trying a bunch of them from eBay, Amazon and craigslist. Be careful, most people don't even know how to test for it, it'll only get worse over time.

I had a shit load of issues with my nexus 6 on Verizon, I switched to T-Mobile and everything is great now. My phone got terrible signal on Verizon, way worse then my old galaxy S5 did. I'd get 20+% of cell stand by and 10-20% time with no signal. For some reason the nexus wouldn't hold the Verizon signal at all. I switched to T-Mobile and get 4 bars of signal and fast lte in the house and never get any time with no signal.

Not the phone's fault, that's just Verizon. As a former Verizon employee I can tell you, their coverage isn't as great as they claim in many areas. My LG G3 gets terrible service on Verizon, but my friends with G3s on AT&T get great service. Sadly I'm an add-on line and switching to another provider would cost me more per month, so that's not an option right now.

My contract is almost up on Rogers and I need an upgrade from my HTC M7. I can get a Nexus 6 for $99, an LG g4 for $150 or a Nexus 6p when they're available in Canada for $199. I use my phone mostly for web browsing, e-mail and youtube. I would like the ability to have 2 programs open at the same time side by side. For instance web browser and e-mail, or 2 web browsers. What would you guys suggest? Should I tough it out and wait for the 6p or grab a Nexus 6 or G4?

Thanks guys, money isn't that tight so I'm going to wait until I can get a 6P in my hands (my friends 6 is usable one handed). I need to get away from the N5 as the camera is constantly crashing, even with Android 6.

Oh, I can't believe how cheap the LG G3 is going for, very tempting indeed!

Thanks guys, money isn't that tight so I'm going to wait until I can get a 6P in my hands (my friends 6 is usable one handed). I need to get away from the N5 as the camera is constantly crashing, even with Android 6.

Oh, I can't believe how cheap the LG G3 is going for, very tempting indeed!

All G3's seem to be international versions. Does this present any issues in the US ?

My contract is almost up on Rogers and I need an upgrade from my HTC M7. I can get a Nexus 6 for $99, an LG g4 for $150 or a Nexus 6p when they're available in Canada for $199. I use my phone mostly for web browsing, e-mail and youtube. I would like the ability to have 2 programs open at the same time side by side. For instance web browser and e-mail, or 2 web browsers. What would you guys suggest? Should I tough it out and wait for the 6p or grab a Nexus 6 or G4?
Rogers is subsidizing the N6 at full MSRP. You'd be an idiot to get a N6 through them.

All G3's seem to be international versions. Does this present any issues in the US ?

As long as whatever variant you get supports the bands your carrier of choice is using for LTE, no. If you want to use them on Verizon or Sprint? Yes.

Sorry, that is not a good deal at all.

Agreed, better off spending ~$2-300 more up front and saving $500+ over the course of that 2 year contract, not to mention having the ability to change carriers or upgrade wherever you like -- either by selling the N6 and buying something else on your own, or selling the N6/keeping it as a spare and signing a new 2 year contract assuming Canadian carriers keep the subsidy model for a while yet.

If I get the N6 it would be through Bell as they're offering it for $99 on a 2 year contract.
Bell is subsidizing the phone from $749.00. Why on Earth would you subsidize a phone that you can buy outright for $250??? Like I said, you'd have to be an idiot to sign a 2 year contract for a Nexus 6.

Last edited:
Bell is subsidizing the phone from $749.00. Why on Earth would you subsidize a phone that you can buy outright for $250??? Like I said, you'd have to be an idiot to sign a 2 year contract for a Nexus 6.

Ok there's something I don't understand. My cell phone bill is roughly $60 right now, if I grab the N6 on a 2 year contract I pay $99 and my phone bill stays the same. I don't see any plans where I live that would save me money buy bringing a phone I own outright. The only downside I can see is that if I choose to leave the carrier I have to pay whatever is left on the phone. Is there something I'm not taking into account?

Ok there's something I don't understand. My cell phone bill is roughly $60 right now, if I grab the N6 on a 2 year contract I pay $99 and my phone bill stays the same. I don't see any plans where I live that would save me money buy bringing a phone I own outright. The only downside I can see is that if I choose to leave the carrier I have to pay whatever is left on the phone. Is there something I'm not taking into account?

Are you out of contract now? Pretty jacked up if they don't lower your bill when you're out of contract since they're not subsidizing the phone for you anymore. If this is true though, then yeah I guess it wouldn't make a difference and you would actually save money by getting it on contract. It's just kinda shitty that they're still basing the contract price off of its original MSRP of $650 or so when it has been available consistently lately for $300ish, on top of them not giving you any sort of discount for being out of contract right now.

Regardless, I wouldn't want to go on contract with a phone that has been out for a year already, even if it still is a decent phone and a big upgrade from your M7. Since you want a phablet that can do split screen apps and stuff, there's really only the Note5/Edge+ that's worth considering for stuff like that. Maybe the G4 or new LG V10, I think LG supports that stuff in their skin, not sure though. If not, I'm sure there's 3rd part apps/solutions for that, but they may or may not require root and probably don't work as well as Samsung's native features.

Still not a deal when Bell offers the HTC One M9 for the same price and the LG G4 for $50 more if the prices don't change off contract. The Nexus 6 doesn't support LTE-A on Bell's network. That's a pretty huge deal. I'd go for the LG G4 if I were you.

P.S. For the American audience, also remember this is Canadian dollars.

Regardless, I wouldn't want to go on contract with a phone that has been out for a year already, even if it still is a decent phone and a big upgrade from your M7. Since you want a phablet that can do split screen apps and stuff, there's really only the Note5/Edge+ that's worth considering for stuff like that. Maybe the G4 or new LG V10, I think LG supports that stuff in their skin, not sure though. If not, I'm sure there's 3rd part apps/solutions for that, but they may or may not require root and probably don't work as well as Samsung's native features.

Yes LG has full multi-app/split-screen support in their skinned version of Android (which, much like Samsung's touchwiz, is getting less horrible with each iteration). The G4 and V10 are both fully multi-app capable, as is the G3 and even G2 with updates.

Your bill will go down after your contact is up and you've paid off your previously subsidized phone (if it doesn't call them). They aren't giving you the phone for free, you are paying for it with a $20 per month fee on your monthly bill. They list the N6 for $749 on their website and you are making up the $649 difference over the life of your contract.

According to the website your plan is $40 if you own the device.

Back