Is the Mining Craze Over for Now

Yesterday I was making $4/Vega 64, today $3.50/Vega. Vega cards are still very much profitable.

1080Ti - $2.50/day

1070 - $1.50/day

Nano - $1.40/day

As the prices climb (last 24h they dropped for the most part), profitability goes up if you mine and sell. If you hold then value mined per day could almost be anything until you actually sell the coins.

Card prices have been coming down slowly but also Nvidia cards are at the tail end of production - So their supply will probably remain limited at higher prices.

AMD Vega cards - forget it - miners will probably scoop those up as fast as they are made.

AMD lower end cards such as the 580's/570's should become more and more available. Just overall bad for purely gamers yet.

The hurt to both AMD and Nvidia is the whole eco systems of OEMs, DIY, gaming industry etc. - AMD/NV will probably, in my opinion, have to find ways to keep that industry from folding. As for Cryptocurrency - it is here to stay.

^^^This.

Plus I already spent my money that I was going to use on video cards on other things. Their loss, not mine. Congrats to AMD/Nvidia, they lost a customer that would have given them tons of business over the next years to chase a little bit of fast profit. I don't patronize businesses that throw their long time customers under the bus. See below for reference:

https://hardforum.com/threads/fed-u...-suck-it-up-and-mine.1956631/#post-1043540087

NV/AMD still sell at MSRP but resellers do not. I'm totally with you on this and I was very lucky to get my cards before price shot up. Though I have many friends and folks at work who really got owned by this mining crazy and they still could not build their upgrade rig, they simply can no longer afford it. I really hope the prices come back down for good but for NV and AMD, they really don't care who buys the cards so long as someone does. They also have no way of knowing what folks are going to use their cards for, it's also unrealistic to think they should be enforcing this in any way. Resellers sure got a nice boost to their purses with this craze though.

And here I thought I paid too much for a few dollars over msrp 1080 and 1080ti back when they first came out...

I'm waiting on some evga 1080ti sc2 to pop up on ebay for like 300-400 before I would go sli...

I'm sure Nvidia and AMD are regretting the tens - if not hundreds - of thousands of cards they sold to dirty miners causing them to lose a whole 10 or so card purchases over the next 20 years.

I'm sure you'll be a real asset to the firearm community as well - at least til ammo prices go up again.
That'll be when he starts carving his own arrows...

Actually, blame the retailers for seeing a demand and gouging the market. That's what really happened here. It's much harder to increase chip production than it is to increase gasoline production (the quickest comparable I could think of offhand).

Yup amd got the same price for its chips. But it’s easier to make false assumptions and gripe on the internet.

Yesterday I was making $4/Vega 64, today $3.50/Vega. Vega cards are still very much profitable.

1080Ti - $2.50/day

1070 - $1.50/day

Nano - $1.40/day

does that account for electricity cost?

does that account for electricity cost?
No, that does not but for all cards including electricity cost they are profitable. For me it is also cooling cost added to running the machines -> Still profitable but that also takes a toll.

It's a little early to call. 1050 ti is still 190 to 210 in most stores, still waiting til I can get one for around 130.

Whatever scro, I'm not sure you get the idea that I'm "entitled". I have a standard that I demand to be treated as a customer, if they don't meet that standard then I won't spend my money there. This is literally capitalism at work, "voting" with your wallet. They don't have to meet what I consider acceptable practices if they choose not to. I'm free to criticize what I feel are poor business practices, if they disagree they can do whatever.

Well, I am sure you are entitled. You have no "right" to buy at MSRP. Products are sold at market value, and right now, the MARKET says that you will pay a premium for a video card or do without. The good news is that the market in recent days has shown a 40% decline in demand, so the coin mining craze might be taking a turn as ASICs designed to mine etherium are going to market soon. Regardless, the price you pay depends on how many of the product you are shopping for costs, and how much people are willing to spend to get a product in high demand. Don't like it? Find another hobby (and possibly another blog).

Well, I am sure you are entitled. You have no "right" to buy at MSRP. Products are sold at market value, and right now, the MARKET says that you will pay a premium for a video card or do without. The good news is that the market in recent days has shown a 40% decline in demand, so the coin mining craze might be taking a turn as ASICs designed to mine etherium are going to market soon. Regardless, the price you pay depends on how many of the product you are shopping for costs, and how much people are willing to spend to get a product in high demand. Don't like it? Find another hobby (and possibly another blog).

The ethereum Asics are already out and arnt selling that well as they really aren't much better in price/preformance then a gpu

Sooooo,...when do you think these new lower prices will hit the streets?

Lol, that's what I'm wondering too. I got my daily Newegg deals newsletter and one the Blitz deals was an RX 570 for $299 after $20 mail in rebate. While I'm sure this is an 8GB card, before the mining craze I bought a 470 4GB for about $120. I was just laughing at how proud Newegg was to advertise this deal. Yeah, we got a ways to go yet.

Off ya go then. Because continuing to spam here that you "won't buy a GPU" comes across a bit drama queen when it's every other post.

How is that any different from miners coming to hijack every thread about this with comments that can be summed up as "suck it up"?

Yeah you can buy it right now. It ships in along time and costs about the same as 8 gpud

Exactly. No cheaper in up front costs, use is limited and will be obsolete very quickly. Much better investment in GPU's that retain some value and are more versatile.

.... Don't like it? Find another hobby....

Not sure if you read my posts, but that's exactly what I did... you're literally "disagreeing" with what I'm saying ... and then saying the exact same thing I did...

Not sure if you read my posts, but that's exactly what I did... you're literally "disagreeing" with what I'm saying ... and then saying the exact same thing I did...

And yet, for someone that has moved to a different hobby...you are still here.

And yet, for someone that has moved to a different hobby...you are still here.
426236_346487365381596_1316503491_n.jpg

As much as I like a little extra mining cash it will be nice if things finally stabilize.

I only have two 1080ti left, a few weeks ago they were only making $1.50 a day each. Now they are at $3.25 a day each. Crypto market is starting to recover. I am going to do you guys a favor and single handled cause the crypto market to crash. I am just going to "hold" my bitcoin. expect this time next year for bitcoin to be worth zero.

I sold around 100 bitcoins for about $5 each, then look what happened. I bet if i hold them -- the value will crash.

When your 980's get outdated... you'll be back :)

That other dude will to. No competition really, this is what we got. Assuming of course AMD isn't bankrupt by then.

I've spent over $400K on my PC hobby over the last 26 years. So, you are right, I'll be back. :) But I haven't paid over MSRP (usually far below) on any of that gear and I'm not about to start now. I have been waiting out price spikes since the days of EDO RAM, so its not a big deal to me. I have a least 14 consoles lying around that can keep me company, vintage audio, TV shows, movies, road trips, an old Suzuki that I should sell, trees to cut down, fences to paint ........

So you basically admit that your only purpose here is to troll?
No, I just have a different opinion than you. However unlike you, I don't tell people to "find another blog" for simply having a differing point of view.

Side note, just in case the domain name of the site didn't give it away, this isn't a blog, but a forum.

No, I just have a different opinion than you. However unlike you, I don't tell people to "find another blog" for simply having a differing point of view.

Side note, just in case the domain name of the site didn't give it away, this isn't a blog, but a forum.

shallow and pedantic...

Back