Is the iPhone A9 lottery still in effect?

I think that only applied to the iPhone 7, not the SE (which has the same SoC as the 6S). Even if it did apply to the SE/6S, it wasn't a big difference in real-world usage, which is why Apple allowed it to happen. I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: I see it was the 6S that had the two different chips, so I was wrong about that. But yeah, the difference is pretty insignificant still in any real-world usage.

Last edited:
Seconding what T4rd said. The differences are slight or non-existent, and the SE is still a great phone (really, the only game in town if you want high performance and a small screen). I have a friend who loves hers.

Wi-Fi Qualcomm vs Intel lottery is what affecting iPhone 7. The TSMC vs Samsung lottery had affected iPhone 6S.

And I have got to say the difference on the wifi is huge if you have something to compare it to.

Last edited:
Wi-Fi Qualcomm vs Intel lottery is what affecting iPhone 7. The TSMC vs Samsung lottery had affected iPhone 6.

And I have got to say the difference on the wifi is huge if you have something to compare it to.

Which is better? I haven't kept up with iPhone 7 stuff.

Qualcomm radio chip is like 40% better than Intel in range and throughput.

How do you find out which version your phone is using ?

I have a 6s+ and would like to find out.
Nvm i found out, tmsc yay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wi-Fi Qualcomm vs Intel lottery is what affecting iPhone 7.

It's not a lottery. Different models have different modems. The Qualcomm is better in theory, but apparently they throttled it artificially to keep them both "even". Apple just annoys the shit out of me sometimes. Think I'm heading back to Android when the S8 is released.

If you're just browsing there internet, most likely your internet is the bottleneck on connectivity. But if your uploading especially or downloading something off your network, the difference between the Qualcomm and Intel is huge. I dunno if the 40% figure is real, but it feels that way!

I have an iPhone 7 with an Intel modem and it's fine, in my experience. I suspect it only matters a great deal if you're on the fringe of the network.

The Samsung/TSMC lottery I'm talking about affects the A9, which is in the 6S/6S+ and SE.

I'm not even close to convinced that the difference is as negligible as a lot of people say. I see Apple-friendly journalists downplaying it, and owners of the samsung-based phones engaging in what seems to be a lot of motivated reasoning to help reassure themselves that there is no difference. Here's a battery comparison from someone who has both:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-tsmc-or-samsung.1965702/page-7#post-24018991
You would never know the difference if you didn't download a program to tell you what SoC you had. Also running an app intended to burn the battery as fast as possible won't show real world indications.

You would never know the difference if you didn't download a program to tell you what SoC you had. Also running an app intended to burn the battery as fast as possible won't show real world indications.

I think my iPhone 6S Plus is the Samsung one, and honestly it's fine.

I have an iPhone 7 with an Intel modem and it's fine, in my experience. I suspect it only matters a great deal if you're on the fringe of the network.

The Qualcomm chip is fast, but the Intel chip is also fast enough to not be a bottleneck. They did show that Qualcomm chip was significantly better/more reliable in low signal areas. I wonder how well this translates to real world.

I had forgotten about the modem issue so it probably wasn't that big of a deal.

There are iPhone 7's of both variants at the office, and we can easily tell a difference when we download files with our intranet FTP. We did a upload test, since we wouldn't be typically uploading the same file. And the upload speed difference is greater even when right under our Ubiquiti access point. Range-wise Qualcomm is better too. Without anything to compare it to, sure, it wouldn't matter. Just like how McDonald's have the best Big Mac in the world... That said... Fuck Qualcomm and their anti-competitive bullshit.

Chang3d, the modem doesn't limit wifi speed, just cellular data. And like I said, they even put a false limiter on the qualcomm version to even them both out.

Storage is the same. Literally the ONLY difference is the modem. Sorry man, placebo effect.

Edit: Actually, I think the 32gb is slower storage than the 128/256. That might POSSIBLY be it? It's a reach though.

Purchased two iPhone SEs since I made this thread. I got a 64GB one when they were purging that stock as the 128GB ones came out, then I got one of the 128GB ones too because, inexplicably, several big box stores in NZ started selling them at heavily reduced prices. Both units have the inferior Samsung chip.

They appear to have different screens. The 64GB one is cooler, and black is more black at low brightness levels. The difference isn't glaring, but the 64GB unit definitely has a better screen, which is a PITA as I don't intend to keep it.

I've seen different screens, or at least different calibrations in the same two model phones across all phones. It seems no matter what device you get with a display, there's always a bit of a panel lottery effect going on. Even on the brand new Galaxy S8, I've seen a huge difference between two different units of the exact same model.

Back