is the GTX 770 worth it?

4LC4PON3

DERP!
ok I am wondering something. i currently have a GTX 660 and my buddy offered me his MSI GTX 770 that has not been used in years (Sitting boxed in his closet) for 75. Now If I turn around and sell my 660 on craigslist for 35-40 I will only be paying 30-35 for his GTX 770

I have read but not sure if this still is an issue that the 770 has issues with newer drivers and runs poorly on newer drivers and I should use older drivers.

Im picking it up today so I was just wondering if its worth the buy or should i just keep saving for something newer. I really want to play witcher 3 again but this time on my PC. I have 400 hours into it on xbox one but traded my Xbox one for the PC below

I7 2600
16gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 2133
X2 Intel 320 series 120gb in raid o. So 240gb ssd
1tb western digital blue hd
Corsair GS 700
MSI H67MA-ED55
GtX 660

If you sell your 660 for $35, you'll still be paying $75 for the 770. It's just that your net expense will be offset by selling the old card.

I say no, stick it out with the 660 for a couple of months and get yourself something more recent. GamersNexus did an article on this recently, where they compared a 770 with the current crop of equivalents, and the difference was pretty significant.

Yeah, I'd shoot for at least a GTX 1060 if you want a sizeable upgrade.

That's almost three times the 75 he could handle lol.

Capone, get a used 7970 similar price to a 770 yet a lot faster especially in stuff with dx12 or vulkan.

It's slightly cheaper than what you could find on Ebay, but that's about it. Your friend is selling it for about what he'd sell it on Craigslist, so him being your friend is essentially irrelevant at this point

Newegg is selling refurbs for about 20$ more:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-Ge...456842?hash=item43f8c4d08a:g:ENAAAOxyBPZTflJU

I mean for what it's worth, I tend to just give away my old GPU's to friends and let them borrow them until they're ready to move on. That is, I let them use it for free, with the acknowledgment that they're still my GPU in case stuff hits the fan for my end financially. For instance my old setup used to be 780X2. I had a 5850 I was loaning a friend and then he upgraded his PC and I let him use my 780 and took back the 5850 HD. My other 780 is in a guest computer. I have a 7870Ghz I also gave away to someone as repayment for a debt when they got something for me (that I never asked for...).

I mean to me the above defines actions of "real" friends, but that's just me. As far as the 770 vs the 660 it's basically like upgrading from a 660 to a 680 GTX. You're not really jumping generations. It'll be an upgrade but considering the VRAM limitations of today, not by much.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i did not even look on ebay and did not notice they are only about 100 bucks. I thoughts they go for more so I thought 75 was a good deal. My 660 struggles so bad with witcher 3 & I just want to play them game. I had it on xbox one and thought because it plays on xbox one fine that it will play on PC fine with a 660 but I was wrong.

i did not even look on ebay and did not notice they are only about 100 bucks. I thoughts they go for more so I thought 75 was a good deal. My 660 struggles so bad with witcher 3 & I just want to play them game. I had it on xbox one and thought because it plays on xbox one fine that it will play on PC fine with a 660 but I was wrong.

I sold a 7950 couple weeks ago for 50 bucks on here. A 7950 today will gap a 770 easy.

i was going to until he offered me the 770. I sold my 660 today for 35 so i figured that out of pocket would cost me 40 bucks on the 770 which I thought was not totally a bad deal since it is an upgrade over my 660. My wife told me if i can wait for taxes then i could build a completely new rig including video card since obviously we will have plenty of funds then.

I was just going to use the 770 until then since my 660 really struggles bad on witcher 3. Its really the only game i give a crap about. 400+ hours on xbox one and wanted to replay it all on PC.

Given that this is your buddy, and he's not using the card, would he just lend it to you for a while, until you can buy a newer new one? If I were in his position, I'd probably just give it to you.

Sure, as a stopgap card the 770 should be ok until tax refunds hit (then, the GTX 1060 3GB is the price/performance king @ 1080p for NVIDIA)

Here is a useful link that will show you the difference between a GTX 960 (slightly slower than a GTX 770) and the rest of the (modern) video card field in Witcher 3 (keep in mind that TechPowerUp benchmarks on High settings, so YMMV):

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1050_Ti_G1_Gaming/25.html

Given that this is your buddy, and he's not using the card, would he just lend it to you for a while, until you can buy a newer new one? If I were in his position, I'd probably just give it to you.

Not how he works unfortunately. He won't give anything away for free. There is always a cost but I did talk him down to 50 and i sold my 660 for 35. I picked up the 770 and I'll use it till taxes and im gonna build a 1070 setup. The wife and i talked and we're good on a new rig

50 is a lot more palatable and it should cover you until the next major upgrade.

Thank you guys for all the help and criticism. I did buy the 770 for 50. When the time is right I will upgrade to better. I do appreciate everything

Thank you guys for all the help and criticism. I did buy the 770 for 50. When the time is right I will upgrade to better. I do appreciate everything
How much of a difference did the 770 make over the 660?

the GTX 770 has been night and day honestly. The 660 was able to run witcher 3 everything on LOW at 50 fps

i am now able to put every settings on HIGH, AA on, Shadows Medium with Foliage Visibility on LOW and stay at a steady 60fps no matter where I am

Once I turn on Foliage Visibility my fps starts to tank. so as long as I keep it off i am playing perfectly fine. I maybe able to even put some settings on Ultra.

The GTX 770 is an awesome card so far. I set a custom fan curve but does not seem to help with the GPU temps. the GPU is running 99% in game and the temps are maxing out at 81c no matter what the fan curve is set at

Last edited:
Back