Is the G4620 really this close to the i5 7400?

Short answer: yes

Long answer: depends on the application. We have 2 cores vs 4 cores here, so it depending on what you throw at it, the spread could be FAR larger than 15%, so if you are considering buying one, I'd consider it based on your needs.

Short answer: yes

Long answer: depends on the application. We have 2 cores vs 4 cores here, so it depending on what you throw at it, the spread could be FAR larger than 15%, so if you are considering buying one, I'd consider it based on your needs.

I agree. You're almost comparing apples to oranges due to the core difference.

Both running applications which can only utilize 2 cores, you have your 15% difference

Both running applications which can utilize 4 cores, the i5 will pull ahead.

Both running applications which can only utilize 2 cores, AND you're doing other stuff in the background? i5 will win again.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to have to close my browser for instance, just to get optimal performance out of a video game. So I'll choose 4 cores+ whenever my budget reasonably allows it.

Right now I still have to, because PUBG. But generally speaking, it's not necessary due to having 16gb ram and a 4 core processor.

At the end of the day I think 2 core processors just are not future proof, they haven't been for quite some time. The writing is really on the wall now that i3's even have 4 cores.

Back