Is the Future of Music a Chip in Your Brain?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't want to be a naysayer, but the world has been talking about using implanted microchips for decades and it still hasn't happened. At this rate, we'll see hover boards and flying cars first. ;)

THE YEAR IS 2040, and as you wait for a drone to deliver your pizza, you decide to throw on some tunes. Once a commodity bought and sold in stores, music is now an omnipresent utility invoked via spoken- word commands. In response to a simple “play,” an algorithmic DJ opens a blended set of songs, incorporating information about your location, your recent activities and your historical preferences—complemented by biofeedback from your implanted SmartChip. A calming set of lo-fi indie hits streams forth, while the algorithm adjusts the beats per minute and acoustic profile to the rain outside and the fact that you haven’t eaten for six hours.

Yes. This will totally happen soon. Especially since we have such a thorough understanding of how the human brain works.

I believe there is a scene in Neuromancer (or one in the series) by William Gibson (or some book I read...) where someone is crazy because they implanted "microsoft" that was cheap and now see advertisements in their eye balls all the time.

We have trouble securing the computers in our cars - and worry about it because our cars can kill us. There are vulnerabilities in pacemakers, insulin pumps, etc.

Imagine security vulnerabilities with your brain implant!

I'll be an old timer in 2040 (if I am lucky). If brain implants are around, I am not gonna get one.

First of all, it'll prolly not happen. Second of all, if it does, by 2040 I'll be like over 30 years old and a total geezer-face that won't like the idea of implants just do do stupid stuff I can do with some parchment, a feather off a dead bird, a little bottle of ink, and several weeks' waiting for a courier to deliver my letter via Pony Express, then a few months of waiting until Montgomery Ward delivers my new hand-crank phonograph and records via the Wells Fargo wagon that comes to town on a quarterly basis as long as the old covered bridge on the dirt road hasn't washed out in the last thunderstorm.

Glad I read the article first. That was entertaining. Having said that, no thanks. Innovate with the technology all you want, just keep it out of my head!

Eric Schmidt would like to implant everyone with a tracker. I'm sure it is Verily's #1 project.

"There is what I call the creepy line. And the Google policy about a lot of these things is to get right up to the creepy line and not cross it. I would argue that implanting things in your brain is beyond the creepy line. At least for the moment until the technology gets better." -E. Schmidt

So, we are going to wonder what they person hitting it up down well walking down the sidewalk is doing. No indication that they are listening to anything.

Adoption cost be millions unless you were volunteering try first human prototype. I rather not have anything put in my brain.

Would have to assume we'll have cell phones in our brains too. Imagine the glee one's mother-in-law will have with this feature. You hang up and she calls right back. Can't throw the phone in the dresser drawer and walk away like in the "old" days. Can't even turn it off. AMBER and SILVER alerts direct into your brain. Oh what fun.

*Zzzz* a shock sends you to the floor convulsing. A tone goes through your head followed by a voice, *beep beep* "Sorry you have not paid for or subscribed to a channel with access to the song you were attempting to access from your long term memory, please go to the iTunes and purchase it or subscribe to an appropriate service."

The ultimate form of DRM. :)

Yeah, like I want a chip embedded in my body so they can send any sound they want directly to my head. I can see them sending you a fine for hearing "unauthorized sounds" too. 1984 = just phase one...

Sounds great, sign me up! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, would rather not have a direct broadcast to my head that I can't shut up. For any enthusiastic hacker, it would be the ultimate audio torture, and nobody buy you would know.

Also, I seriously doubt we can simulate the human eardrum accurately anytime soon. If you're bypassing the sound stage, you're going to have to fake it accurately before you pump that shit into your brain. Or it won't sound right. Everyone's eardrum is different, making this even more fantastical.

I don't want to be a naysayer, but the world has been talking about using implanted microchips for decades and it still hasn't happened. At this rate, we'll see hover boards and flying cars first. ;)

THE YEAR IS 2040, and as you wait for a drone to deliver your pizza, you decide to throw on some tunes. Once a commodity bought and sold in stores, music is now an omnipresent utility invoked via spoken- word commands. In response to a simple “play,” an algorithmic DJ opens a blended set of songs, incorporating information about your location, your recent activities and your historical preferences—complemented by biofeedback from your implanted SmartChip. A calming set of lo-fi indie hits streams forth, while the algorithm adjusts the beats per minute and acoustic profile to the rain outside and the fact that you haven’t eaten for six hours.

Can't decide if this is Dick Tracy or AT&T video phone mock ups from the 70s. My guess is it's more Dick Tracy, but there were things in the 80s/early 90s on TNG that I never thought I'd see and it's pretty much here. AI gets better every year. When I was in college, AI was just research, because computing power made it impractical.

The generation growing up in the time where stuff like this becomes possible will love it, some of the older gen will get it as well cuz they feel like cool cats and hip and totally not too old, and others will yell that these damn kids had better get off their lawn.

It's how it always goes.

Will they have to get a court order to seize your brain to search if for illegal mp3's ?

I might get a music chip implanted if it'll play this, preferably with support for premium so I don't have to listen to ads.

A glitch would give a whole new meaning to "I can't get that song out of my head".

No, just no. There are so many reasons I don't like this idea. Start from a Ghost in the Shell style brain hacker and go on from there. Also the idea of major surgery every time you need to upgrade your phone is a bit much. I'll just be one of those old fogies who refuses to stay with the times. I'll be sitting there with my "hilarious" touchscreen phone from 2025 browsing the flat 2D geezerweb and probably still posting to this forum.

Mark of the Beast. Do not put microchips in your body!

The Mark of the Beast is only occurring to the Great Tribulation. I am a Christian and I would not have an issue with a chip inserted in me but that depends on what purpose, of course. However, I do not really listen to music all that often so I do not think I would want it for this purpose. But, something like this would definitely be an advancement in the area of hearing impairment.

Back