Is the form factor of slim slot-in drives standardised?

iFreilicht

[H]ard|Gawd
Slim slot-in ODDs like this one(http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_legacy.php?area=en&model=SOD01) are pretty much the only way we can get optical drives in small cases without huge compromises.
The ones I found seem to all be of the same size (128x129x12.7mm), and have the slot in the exact same position, while the button is not. All have mounting threads on the bottom and on the left side.

Are these holes standardised? Which committee did this standardisation? Where can I find drawings of these drives?

They seem to have standardized in the last 5-10 years, but I'm not sure if it's an "official" standard.

Of course, a lot of notebooks have a special caddy that the drive screws into before sliding into the notebook, but you don't have to worry about that in a desktop case.

So the dimensions and mounting is standardized, but the position and size/shape of the eject button on the front isn't.

So the dimensions and mounting is standardized, but the position and size/shape of the eject button on the front isn't.

That's what it looks like, but in contrast to the regular half-height 5.25" drives, that have a similar situation, I am unable to find an actual specification paper. And I don't really have the funds to just buy one and measure it by hand at the moment.

EDIT: Thanks WiSK :D

ftp://ftp.seagate.com/sff/SFF-8553.PDF page 9 :)

There is some details about button position from page 32

Thank you very much, but it seems like this is about the slim ODDs with a tray, not the slot-in ones.
Also the drawings seem kind of wrong, I guess the mounting holes are correct, and those will help me, but the current drives are not a normal slab anymore (and I think they never were), they have this angle and even are way thinner on one side.

1023235-2.jpg

And I don't see this in the docs you linked.

Perfect, thank you very much! No matter where you turn up, you always show expertise and determination, it's intimidating.

Still no information on the slot-in, but that's not too important, I think I can make this work :D

Thanks Necere, that was perfect, I wasn't too sure about the slot-placement. I don't think I'll be as successful with my idea as you, but at least I can try to match the quality ;)

Single page drawing is a lot more convenient :)

I have to say I like it more when the dimensions are written inside the drawing, not in some table. You just have to scroll up and down all the time with a table. But hey, you only have to do that once, no big deal.

Back