Is the evga 980ti hybrid the best overall 980ti?

Jasheon

Limp Gawd
I am trying to hold out for the hybrid 980ti from EVGA but damn they never have them in stock. Is it really the best 980ti out there? The temps, noise level, and overclocking? The waiting game just sucks, I cant believe EVGA is having such a hard time with the demands.

What annoys me about this card is that EVGA uses a reference board which likely limits the overclocking potential.

I like the design but the $100 premium is hard to justify compared to the competition.

Now a hybrid Classified...

What annoys me about this card is that EVGA uses a reference board which likely limits the overclocking potential.

I like the design but the $100 premium is hard to justify compared to the competition.

Now a hybrid Classified...

But i think it still overclocks really well and along with the temps/noise levels it cant be beat. It's damn near silent, and on max load 50c.

Even a comparable diy aio kit comes out about fhe same price and hybrid looks more elegant and better cooling for components. Voltage mods remove the limitations of reference. Its mostly silicone lottery after that. It is very quiet and i have two of them in sli and games drown out my computer noise. After changing up my radiator location both running under 50 degrees in games and abiut 2 degrees difference from one being intake and anothrr being exhaust

Last edited:
For example, a G1 overclocks generally very well, is relatively silent and sells for $60 less. The Hybrid extra cost is hard to justify in light of this unless your setup is subject to specific constraints.

Also, while you wait, 980 Ti owners have a great time playing their games at the highest settings...

But i think it still overclocks really well and along with the temps/noise levels it cant be beat. It's damn near silent, and on max load 50c.

Mine hits a whopping 1470 on the core, which is less than what a lot of people are hitting. It's all luck.

It's also much noisier at idle, unless you downvolt the pump and the radiator fan.

If you can fit it in your case and swing the extra $100 it is SO worth it. I got mine earlier this week and I haven't even broken 50c. To me I considered it a bargain for the EVGA card cause it would have cost $20 more to do it myself ($650 for stock card + $100 for the AIO + $20 for the backplate) so that's how I justified a $750 card. ;)

I think for sli it is worth more since g1 in sli would be much louder as bottom fan will push hot air up and cause the top card to run near full blast to keep cool. Not to mention the inside temp being much hotter. The extra cost means much less when it is $1500 vs $1340 (adding 40$ for backplate). Dropping that much cash couple hundred dollars isnt really a concern. I am just scared of voltage modding and bricking both cards. I will probably do it once i read up in it more. Also even on stock bios i get zero throttling which makes a difference in gaming fps vs benchmarking. You can see that in jay2cent review even when g1 was clocked like 40 mhz higher

Last edited:
I am trying to hold out for the hybrid 980ti from EVGA but damn they never have them in stock. Is it really the best 980ti out there? The temps, noise level, and overclocking? The waiting game just sucks, I cant believe EVGA is having such a hard time with the demands.

Temps yes, noise level, no.

You can check out the EVGA forums there are alot of complaints of noisy pumps. The ACX 2.0+ Cooler is currently quieter than the EVGA Hybrid at idle and on the load as well if you use the silent fan curve with EVGA Precision.

Last edited:
I am not buying the 50 C max claim. Even the non Ti 980 hybrid hit temps higher than that under full load in demanding games/benchmarks and this card uses 100 watts more.

Right now the EVGA Hybrid has without doubt the best cooling. It's just a shame it comes at quite a price premium on a reference card and can have pump noise according to users and controlling the radiator fan requires decent motherboard fan control or an external fan controller. Ideally it can be both a great overclocker and quiet. On any of the air coolers you can't achieve the quiet part especially at such low temps. The EVGA Hybrid is unfortunately not available to buy most of the time.

In Europe the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid costs around 839 euros. Since it was not available I opted to get myself the MSI Gaming card and combine that with a Corsair H55 AIO cooler and NZXT Kraken G10. The total for that came to about 847 euros so not much of a price premium for having a custom PCB card with improved VRM, possibly a noise free pump and an AIO cooler that can hopefully be mounted on the next gen Pascal cards as well. Getting it next week so then I can shed light on how it performs.

The reference board kills this card for me (plus the scarcity of it and the reports that the pump is actually louder than most would have expected). With the EVGA hybrid you're just trading one limit for another (temp for voltage/power).

I went with G1s in SLI and I'm fine--top card gets into the mid-70s during gaming and Fire Strike benches on the stock fan curve which is fairly quiet up to this temp range. Once it gets into the 80s the fans do become noticeably louder but that has only happened in Heaven 1440p benchmarking so far.

Now if anyone releases an AIO-cooled non-reference-PCB design I'd be all over it.

I am not buying the 50 C max claim. Even the non Ti 980 hybrid hit temps higher than that under full load in demanding games/benchmarks and this card uses 100 watts more.
Can't say if it's 50c max, I can only tell you I ran Heaven for a few passes and played Witcher 3, Batman AK, for a while and according to afterburner I never exceeded 50c @ 1453 core (high was 49c). I also ran at 1470 while testing but it wasn't stable for me in Heaven and it still never exceeded 50c. I'd probably have to add voltage to keep it steady at 1470 or higher, but I didn't want to tweak anymore since I was getting good numbers at 1453 and just wanted to get to playing since that's why I bought this card not to keep tweaking it for another 2fps. ;)

That was no added voltage, power limit on afterburner set to 110% and ambient room temp of ~83F ( ~28c-29c ) with the case closed. I do expect to exceed 50c if the ambient room temp is higher but so far I haven't hit the 50c mark.

Most people complaining about pump noise have radiator oriented incorrectly. I have two and i cant hear pump over the fans. It does vibrate which i can feel and hear faintly but thats more fault of the case and i dont know if that can be avoided

Is the Evga Classified currently the quietest air cooled 980 Ti on the market?

Most people complaining about pump noise have radiator oriented incorrectly. I have two and i cant hear pump over the fans. It does vibrate which i can feel and hear faintly but thats more fault of the case and i dont know if that can be avoided

The radiator orientation thing is either not a fix or is a separate noise from the one I have. Mine is an electrical noise from the pump drawing power, and people have fixed it by undervolting it to around 75%.

Does your hybrid have vibration? I can feel it on the case but putting my ear up against it i dont hear anything. Trying to track down the cause if it is fans psu or pump

Does your hybrid have vibration? I can feel it on the case but putting my ear up against it i dont hear anything. Trying to track down the cause if it is fans psu or pump

I don't think so. Did you use the included rubber washers for the radiator mounting screws?

I don't think so. Did you use the included rubber washers for the radiator mounting screws?

Umm nope. Ill add them. Didnt know where they went thanks. But my setup is push pull. The rubber goes where it attaches the case?

Umm nope. Ill add them. Didnt know where they went thanks. But my setup is push pull. The rubber goes where it attaches the case?

With push/pull I can't say, but with a single fan they go on the outside of the case. So from the outside in it goes screw, washer, case, radiator, fan.

If it helps I ran Heaven a little longer than 30 mins and never hit 50c.

mwHCvFs.jpg

I hit 52 but it is exhausting case air coming out of cpu air cooler. Wont be water cooling cpu until skylake or skylake e. The intake one never got above 48. Have to see once i voltage mod.

worth it in spades.mine boosts 1540 and never goes above 50c.and also very quiet.and yes orientation of the rad is VERY important.and my asic is 70%.

Last edited:
worth it in spades.mine boosts 1540 and never goes above 50c.and also very quiet.and yes orientation of the rad is VERY important.and my asic is 70%.

Awesome! Do you mind sharing the settings?

Did you do +200/+500?

BTW, I placed the GPU radiator in the HDD slot area blowing air out of the case.

y4ah6Jo.jpg

Last edited:
The best Ti is the one that you purchase a waterblock for and OC the shit out of.

I am waiting to get an EK block that has Ti on it and not Titan!

The best Ti is the one that you purchase a waterblock for and OC the shit out of.

I am waiting to get an EK block that has Ti on it and not Titan!

I've been waiting to deck my G1 with a waterblock. Should be the way to go ;)

I've been waiting to deck my G1 with a waterblock. Should be the way to go ;)

im wanting to do that too. i want the reference card and titan block, or the ti hydro copper, but at the rate these are coming in to availability the g1 is going to have it's block out soon.

g1 is alway my favoriate as of late. great OCs and great RMA

Back