is the ESRB a govt. organization?

JonnyK

2[H]4U
It seems to me that everything that has to do with game ratings, and games getting into trouble with "GTA killed my son!", is rated M or whatever by the ESRB, but why does the government get involved? i saw the news that the federal trade bureau or something is going to investigate if rockstar games purposly decieved the ESRB when they submitted san andreas so that it would get an M rating instead of AO. this was voted on by congress and won so they are doing it. These are video games, shouldn't this be hilary clinton's and the ESRB's problem, not our federal agents?

Our government tries to control everything even foreign nations it's nothing new.

They got involved in the baseball steroids scandal, and they're getting involved in the obscene games issue.

What really pisses me off is some of the new laws coming out in the United States for video games also seem to be effecting Canada even though we dont have the same laws here. I can no longer buy M rated games, and it doesnt matter which store I go to.

Michael.R said:
What really pisses me off is some of the new laws coming out in the United States for video games also seem to be effecting Canada even though we dont have the same laws here. I can no longer buy M rated games, and it doesnt matter which store I go to.
canada = america jr.

u still get weed though

mm weed

JonnyK said:
It seems to me that everything that has to do with game ratings, and games getting into trouble with "GTA killed my son!", is rated M or whatever by the ESRB, but why does the government get involved?

The government didn't get involved. Name a piece of legislation that was passed. Name a directive from a regulatory agency. Hell, NAME a regulatory agency.

The ESRB is just like the RIAA and MPAA: they are industry-formed representative agencies that also self-regulate the gaming industry. The government is not involved with the ESRB.

i saw the news that the federal trade bureau or something is going to investigate if rockstar games purposly decieved the ESRB when they submitted san andreas so that it would get an M rating instead of AO. this was voted on by congress and won so they are doing it.

Did some searching and dug this up. The House voted 355-21 to ask the FTC to investigate the circumstances around the mod, and Hillary asked separately (since she's a Senator, not a Representative) for an investigation. The FTC doesn't HAVE to do anything, and I suspect they've got better things to do, but we'll see.

Personally, I wish Congress would get on to more important things. Bolton, Roberts, Circuit Court appointments, and the porous border are some things I can think of...

S0m30n3 said:
Our government tries to control everything even foreign nations it's nothing new.

Care to elaborate?

ryanrule said:

Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

All I can find is that the Amazing Hillary has asked the FTC (Federal Trade Commision) to look into the matter.
The FTC hasn't said or done anything.

The ESRB is one big ass thing. Big like walmart. Walmart can jack up their prices, and we're fucked.

ESRB can say crap and do studeis, and people will follow it.

Kadarom Douhrek said:
All I can find is that the Amazing Hillary has asked the FTC (Federal Trade Commision) to look into the matter.
The FTC hasn't said or done anything.

Yeah, I just now found a story that the House voted 355-21 to ask the FTC to investigate, and Hillary separately asked the FTC to do the same.

The keyword here is "asked," not "ordered," so we'll see what comes of this.

Terpfen said:
Yeah, I just now found a story that the House voted 355-21 to ask the FTC to investigate, and Hillary separately asked the FTC to do the same.

The keyword here is "asked," not "ordered," so we'll see what comes of this.

Hopefully they will say they are busy with the a MS antittrust suit or maybe an Intel one ;)

Back