Is the Dell 2007WFP the best widescreen 20" monitor available?

variant

Gawd
I am trying to decide which monitor I should purchase.

How good is the 2007WFP? How deep are the blacks? How good is it with video games and movies? Is there any ghosting?

Also are people getting VA or S-IPS nowadays? Are there any other alternatives?

Overall it's a good monitor. I am not that picky on my colors, but blacks seem deep enough for me. As for games, I play COD 4 and Counter Strike, I have noticed no ghosting and felt no input lag, it's plenty fast even though its rated at 16ms. Movies look great too. As for the panel types, I think a lot now are shipping with S-IPS.

Mind I warn you though, flickering is a big issue with the 2007WFP. My first one had flickering when scrolling on grey/greyish backgrounds. My second replacement, which was a S-PVA had less flickering, but horrible backlight bleeding. My current one is a A04 S-IPS but still has flickering on greys. I have another exchange on the way. If that was also has flickering, I probably will go with the Samsung 206BW.

The flickering and backlight bleeding unsettles me about buying it. I will note that the 16ms response time is on/off, its gray-to-gray response time is 6ms.

Samsung 206BW is a TN, I haven't had a good experience with one.

Unfortunately, most other 20" are TN. The discontinued Viewsonic VX2025WM used a S-MVA panel.

I'll let you know if the new one coming has any flickering.

Well, I bought my 2007WFP a year ago, and it doesn't have flickering or any other issue mentioned.

Unfortunately, most other 20" are TN. The discontinued Viewsonic VX2025WM used a S-MVA panel.

I'll let you know if the new one coming has any flickering.

I am basically at a loss at what monitor to buy. I am thinking that these companies are inept and are seriously hindering technological advancements in this area. Every other area of technology make vasts improvements with each year, yet the tv market stagnates from year to year while they price gouge.

I have a 2005 & 2007, love both of them. Great displays, very little bleeding, great colors and response time. Theres times I think I have flickering but when I actually get some sleep I dont see it so.... Good screen.

I've got the 2007WFP(A02) and i love it to death, great colors, response, no banding, theres is that "flicker" i never notice it unless i look for it though and i do alot of graphics work also. never calibrated the monitor with anything third party and its surprisingly accurate. no backlight problems at all, no dead pixles

only compliant i ave is that the blacks arent as black as a CRT but it is he best of all LCD's that i have seen.

Well I got my brand new Dell 2007WFP replacement today. A04, S-IPS, Feb. 2008. Flickering was reduced, still there, but less than my Jan.2008 A04. It also didn't have this waving on greys like the the Jan. 2008 had. Unfortunately, I spotted a dead pixel dead center. I don't think I'm gonna bother getting another exchange.

Unfortunately most new monitors are TN. TN is taking over the world and unless you're loaded with money, you're getting a TN :(.

I have a mint condition VX2025WM. If you're interested, pm me.

What is Dell's return policy?

Unfortunately most new monitors are TN. TN is taking over the world and unless you're loaded with money, you're getting a TN :(.

Clearly the Dell 2007WFP isn't a TN which is why I am interested in it.

What is Dell's return policy?

Clearly the Dell 2007WFP isn't a TN which is why I am interested in it.

You have 21 days after you place your order to return/refund. I think you have to pay for return shipping and pay a 15% restocking fee unless defective.

The S-IPS version of the 2007WFP, while maybe not the best-ever 20" widescreen, is certainly among the best. As far as price is concerned, it is hands-down the best value for someone who cares a lot about color accuracy and picture quality.

The blacks aren't that deep, but more importantly it offers uniform blacks with good black detail and exhibits none of the black crush effect of PVA panels. NEC has a couple of 20" panels that offer improvements in some areas over the Dell, but they tend to be much more expensive.

The S-IPS version of the 2007WFP, while maybe not the best-ever 20" widescreen, is certainly among the best. As far as price is concerned, it is hands-down the best value for someone who cares a lot about color accuracy and picture quality.

The blacks aren't that deep, but more importantly it offers uniform blacks with good black detail and exhibits none of the black crush effect of PVA panels. NEC has a couple of 20" panels that offer improvements in some areas over the Dell, but they tend to be much more expensive.

Which NEC panels are those?

20wmgx2 has tons of features that may be of use and offers better contrast. If you like glossy panels then it is a very good choice. If you use your computer in an environment where sunlight shines in or there are bright lights, the glossy coating will be a problem.

The NEC 2090 is a aimed at professionals who need the most accurate colors and it succeeds in this purpose. Its response time may be unsuitable for gaming, however. I am not certain of that. It is quite expensive.

Back