Is the BSEL Q6600 pad mod really this simple?

gnewbury, I modded both of my Q6600s to 333 but I had to connect two pads to do it, is that what you are trying to accomplish? I can't find anything on the mod you posted, which seems to be blocking off one pad.

relic -
grabbed it from here

Thread was about a dell 530 Q6600 w/24" monitor for $608. But who needs a monitor?

here is the mod that worked for both of my Q6600s.
They'll boot at 3.0 with stock vcore, but some other folks have needed to bump the voltage slightly.

q6600fsb333.jpg

Rear window defogger repair kit, or Circuit Writer pen will work. Just like modding the old Athlon XPs. Make sure you let it dry well before you put in back on the mobo.

By the way, this view is of the bottom of the CPU, not the socket.

I found it here on the forum originally, the googled q6600 333fsb to confirm.

I'm pretty sure the max stock FSB for these chips is 333. You'd need OC options in BIOS to go past that, but if you have an OC capable system, you probably don't need to pad mod anyway.

Yes, the pad mod is mostly for those oem boxes like Dell and Lenovo or with crappy motherboards. With a decent board, no need for it...

Yes, the pad mod is mostly for those oem boxes like Dell and Lenovo or with crappy motherboards. With a decent board, no need for it...

Thanks Xilikon, I'm sure glad you posted that before I embarrassed myself by trying to frame a question about whether or not I needed a pad mod or not.

The reason I wanted to know was if by chance I finally end up with a Q6600 instead of a Q9450 because either I can't afford one or I can't find one to buy.

I've read where until around Jun08 any quad penryn, besides the Q9650, will be expensive (it's already expensive) and in short supply Of course that's just my opinion from reading this and other forums.:confused: Intel keeps delaying their release into the wilds :mad: I don't know if I'm patient enough or have enough faith in Intel, especially with the disapointing results from AMD :D

I did just like in the picture, a single piece of tape, and it worked great for me. Booted right up at 3ghz on my new dell 530.

Hmmm, it didn't work for me with only the covered pad on an Inspiron 530 with a Q6600. I did the other mod like relic posted and it did work, booting up at 3GHz.

Fingernail polish or varnish will do the same thing as the tape, but easier to apply.
Just make sure it's dry first.

Fingernail polish or varnish will do the same thing as the tape, but easier to apply.
Just make sure it's dry first.

Have you done this yourself or did you read that somewhere?

I'm curious to see if this method works. Can't find a store that sells rear window defogger repair kit or Circuit Writer pen.

The problem with tape is the softness. The pin is pretty sharp so when you lock the cpu, it could puncture the tape and it won't work well. The varnish or fingernail polish is more toughter so it can resist the pressure.

There is a BSEL configuration for 400Mhz (1600FSB), but that probably won't work since most boards most likely don't support 1600 FSB CPUs. But if it did happen to work that'd net you 3.6GHz.

This is where a X38 or X48 will shine and soon the P45. These chipsets will have official 1600 FSB support (X38 unofficially but should be easy with a finger in the nose).

pxc and cooldude - did you have any heat issues with the Inspiron 530 after performing the mod? I've read it's useful to use speedfan to increase the fan velocity. Did you need any additional cooling?

Also, did you need to change anything in the bios (relic mentioned some people needed to change the cpu voltage)?

Thanks!

Has anyone with a Dell 530 w/Q6600 change the heatsink to a larger unit?
If so what are you using and can you fit the side panel back on?
I was looking at the AC Freezer 7 Pro or the Thermalright Ultima 90 but I do not think the side panel will clear.

Has anyone with a Dell 530 w/Q6600 change the heatsink to a larger unit?
If so what are you using and can you fit the side panel back on?
I was looking at the AC Freezer 7 Pro or the Thermalright Ultima 90 but I do not think the side panel will clear.

I have a Gateway with a Freezer 7 pro and my Dell sitting here looks to be the same width. My guess is that it should fit. Just remember that you'll have to remove the mother board to pull the old heatsink's backplate.

Anyone know what component of the rear window defogger repair kit to use for the bsel mod? In the package there is tab adhesive, repair compound and activator.

Back