Is the adhesive foam MCP35X be strong enough to counter tube torque?

DanNeely

Supreme [H]ardness
I have my loop roughly half assembled. Currently my pump isn't stuck down (mostly because I want to stick a container under it during filling as spill control); but the two tubes attached to it are twisting it rather hard at an angle. This has me wondering if the adhesive on the foam is strong enough to hold it down in the face of the torque; or if I'll need to screw it down.

If this is going to be a problem, I'd just as soon know in advance, because if I'm drilling I'm going to want to place the pump in a slightly different spot than it is now and would prefer not to have to tear everything apart after the loops already been filled once.

UX9zP0T.jpg

I had this big "don't be a noob" reply all set, then I looked at the picture of the loop. Honestly, I hate foam tape, it leaves the nastiest residues. Velcro is all well and good, but only for non-permanent installations. I'd soon as drill unless your intention is to hedge your bets.

Honestly your problem looks like the tubing runs aren't long enough. Forcing it down is only going to put more pressure on the barbs, which makes them more likely to leak/fail in the future. I would increase the length of some of those tubing runs to relieve the strain.

I can go with longer tube runs easily enough; but how much longer should I go. The lengths I went with this time around were mostly done by sizing the tubes so they didn't have enough slack to start bulging out beyond where a notional run with 2 strait lengths and a 90* elbow would go. (Tubes doing that and pressing against the door was a problem with my last loop).

My planned drill mount location would be on the fan hole coverplate to the right and slightly toward the back of the case which would add ~2-3" of slack to the Res-CPU run and require cutting a new tube for the Res-Rad connection regardless.

After disconnecting from the radiator, moving it in about an inch diagonally toward the motherboard and back of the case is enough that the force from the tube running to the waterblock pushing the pump back is as strong as the force from the single tube trying to tilt the pump (if less than what I was getting with both tubes still attached).

Moving it about 2.5", to the near corner of the fan hole cover (where I'd prefer to drill), is producing a twisting force at least half again as strong as the one from the two tubes trying to tilt it. If I had both ends connected and with similar amounts of extra tubing I'd presumably eliminate the twist but would instead have both tubes trying to push the pump through the side of the case. The force trying to tip it back was stronger as well.

owAZACL.jpg

Back