Is the 9600GT reliable?

Tea_Cup

n00b
Heylo!

After making the jump to PCI-E two weeks ago, I've decided to opt for a Gigabyte 9600GT. The problem is that there are a few threads on various forums where people are having issues with this particular 9 series from different manufacturers (EVGA, XFX). The so called 'black screen of death' and looping audio forcing users to reboot their machine every hour or so when playing a game and requires a firmware upgrade. Are these issues confined to just a small batch or are they consistent for all users?

If anyone has a 9600GT, how is it working out for you so far? I would love a few [H]ard opinions before buying the final piece for my pc. :D

I got the 9600GT superclocked edition from EVGA a few weeks ago and haven't had any problems with it. It's humming along just fine with a Q6600 in a Vista 64 Ultimate system and my games love the card. The system is on 24 hours a day running F@H.

A friend of mine has one, and its not very reliable, then again, could be some whole other unrelated issue.

The 9600GT I have is a PALIT, and for the 2 weeks I've been running it, it has been great so far.

I have 2 9600GTs from EVGA (the standard ones, not overclocked) and they've been incredibly unstable no matter what driver I use. Hard lockups in windows every few hours and sometimes games freeze with sound screech. I monitor temps but they're never high, 60-65 at load for the gpu and high 40s for cpu. I switched to a single 9600 a few hours ago and have not seen a crash since then, but we'll see...

From what I understand, the EVGA cards and other factory OC'ed ones are the cards most likely to see that black screen you were talking about. Over at the EVGA forums the solution they found to work was to under clock it to near nvidia reference speeds. :(

I have a PNY 9600GT at factory settings. I have had no real problems with my SECOND one. My FIRST one had a bad problem where anything 3D would make my card 'chirp.' The only tiny hiccup with my current one is with Need For Speed Prostreet. All cars seem to display white pixles around the edges. Most people who have this problem claim it is a driver problem they had with the 8 series cards that were later fixed in newer drivers - but being that the 9 series cards are so new it is a problem that has yet to be addressed.

Back