Is the 8800GTX Still Relevant to Today's Performance?

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
As the title says. If one could pick up a G80 8800GTX on the cheap, in the $50 range, would its performance still be respectable for a resolution of 1680 x 1050? What about taking into consideration the whole package of thermals and energy usage, if it had the Accelero Xtreme HSF?

I know you all want to say 'google it', but I can't find benchmarks comparing it to anything current. Thank you very much.

EDIT: I found the answer myself. They're about even, so if I can find one for a lower price than a 4850 to offset the extra power consumption, it might be an option.

Last edited:
I'd probably take a 4850 over an 8800 GTX at that res, as performance would be similar or in some cases a good bit better and power draw would be a considerably lower.

I still have an 8800 GTX in my HTPC and I don't intend to replace it any time soon, the TV it's connected to is 1080P but I usually run games (when I game on it which is rare) at 720P and it does just fine, so they certainly aren't "useless" yet or anything like that, but unless you just happen to have one laying around as a spare there are a lot better options if you're going to spend some money.

Plenty of 1GB Radeon 4870s around for $70 or so that are a good bit faster with better power draw numbers, etc. Quite a few capable new cards in the ~$100 AR range, too.

A 4850 kicks the crap out of the an 8800GTX in the range of 40% more FPS.

Wait, what? That kind of margin might be possible on a 4870, but the 4850 is comparable to a bit faster than a GTX, not that I'd take a GTX over a 4850.

Wait, what? That kind of margin might be possible on a 4870, but the 4850 is comparable to a bit faster than a GTX, not that I'd take a GTX over a 4850.

It turns out that when I looked at this, I coincidentally looked at the FEAR 2 benchmark, so I thought it was 30-40% faster overall :D. It turns out they're about even in fact. Thanks for posting that though, I would have thought the 4850 was way faster, because I only looked at that one benchmark originally.

Last edited:
I remember playing through Bioshock on a 4850 and getting a serious performance boost over the 88. A pair of $40 4850's would be nice.

If you already have a 8800GTX, then you'd probably be okay with it in today's games, particularly if you play at a low resolution. However, I certainly wouldn't buy one over the 4850.

I remember playing through Bioshock on a 4850 and getting a serious performance boost over the 88. A pair of $40 4850's would be nice.

I've seen used 4870x2s for ~$140, which is a stupid low price for what you get. I'd go that route over a pair of 4850s. With 4850 Crossfire you have a whole lot of GPU power but you run out of video memory at the kind of resolutions necessary to make good use of it.

I've seen used 4870x2s for ~$140, which is a stupid low price for what you get. I'd go that route over a pair of 4850s. With 4850 Crossfire you have a whole lot of GPU power but you run out of video memory at the kind of resolutions necessary to make good use of it.
1GB 4850s existed, I had one.

my laptop has a 9800m gt which is less powerful than an 8800 gtx, it also has a 1680x1050 screen and I can play crysis on it with about half on high and half on medium. Works fine.

in some of the really busy parts of the game it bogs down a bit, but overall its very playable.

8800gtx is relevant, one of Nvidia's best ever GPUs in my opinion.

Mmmmmm......the good ol' days of the 8800GTX. One of the finest cards to ever be made!:cool:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Seeing as I have a 4850 1GB, and I'm on P55 w/o a second good PCIe slot, I'll just grab something like a 4890 if I can find one for a good price.

I guess I didn't get much out of this, but we all got together and waxed poetical over the good days with the G80, right? :D

No really thanks a bunch. I might pick up an 8800GTX just for the hell of seeing what it performs like.

8800gtx is relevant, one of Nvidia's best ever GPUs in my opinion.
Best $702 I ever spent. :D

Thanks for the advice everyone. Seeing as I have a 4850 1GB, and I'm on P55 w/o a second good PCIe slot, I'll just grab something like a 4890 if I can find one for a good price.

I guess I didn't get much out of this, but we all got together and waxed poetical over the good days with the G80, right? :D
Can you fire a 50 w/ a 90? I thought chip and ram had to match 100%.

My G80 nostalgia contribution...

IMG_1937.jpg

Can you fire a 50 w/ a 90? I thought chip and ram had to match 100%.

My idea is to get rid of the 4850 and get a 4890/4870/260/275. I had you thinking I could pull off some real magic tricks huh? :p

EDIT: and my god the G80 is MASSIVE! It's kind-of turning me off to have something that big and hot-running, the 4850 is half the die size. It seems to me like once the high end GPUs leave the spotlight, they're gone for good because of this.

Last edited:
I had an 8800GTS 640mb...I remember playing crysis for the first time, and it ran pretty well. I just loved the way that card looked, and I don't remember it being all that loud. I didn't have it for long though, and when I built a new machine it had a pair of HD 4870's in it. Talk about loud and hot...holy shit. AMD's idea of a fan controller was on or off. Literally, the fan was at 20% 24/7, and when the core hit 80C it would crank up full speed. Drove me freaking crazy. I used CCC constantly to adjust fan speeds...and when I finally mustered up the courage to flash them to the Asus top bios (with a functional fan controller), I was in heaven. Except for the fact that they constantly idled at 60c which kept the fans at 37% which was just 2% too loud. A few holes in my case later, and I solved the issue.

New 6970 is like a whisper by comparison, and apparently all the reviews say its loud. Obviously these people never lived with a pair for 4870's :) I'm rambling...back on topic.

How did those 2 configs compare?

4890 CrossfireX (2 cards) beats the ever-living shit out of 8800 GTX Tri-SLI (same CPU, same RAM, same OC on CPU) because SLI at the 8800 GTX generation simply didn't scale worth anything past 2 cards, and didn't scale nearly as well as the 4890s even to the second card.

I'm going purely by memory from over two years ago, granted, and I'm just a touch drunk right now, but I'd say I regularly got a 100% (double) increase in performance over SLI or Tri-SLI 8800 GTXs with the 4890s, and they're still going strong. They're faster than a 5870 in most situations, minus DX11 obviously. Honestly they're overkill for 99% of things with my current 1920x1200 setup, and I'm considering selling one before they're worth absolutely nothing...

i have a 640 8800 gts for sale, if you're interested...its runs games well at that resolution too

I had an 8800GTS 640mb...I remember playing crysis for the first time, and it ran pretty well...
I remember playing Crysis for the first time. I'd just switched from a nice reliable P35 to a 680i so I could run a pair of 88GT's. It ran like garbage, the board squealed with every mwheel scroll, and its trashy RAID controller killed my array.

One day I will go back and play it again. Loved that game!

Girlfriend still uses an 8800gtx and can play BF2 BC2, black ops, l4d all pretty fine... But yea it is time for an upgrade....

As the title says. If one could pick up a G80 8800GTX on the cheap, in the $50 range, would its performance still be respectable for a resolution of 1680 x 1050? What about taking into consideration the whole package of thermals and energy usage, if it had the Accelero Xtreme HSF?

I know you all want to say 'google it', but I can't find benchmarks comparing it to anything current. Thank you very much.

EDIT: I found the answer myself. They're about even, so if I can find one for a lower price than a 4850 to offset the extra power consumption, it might be an option.

I would say yes, although not in all instances. I still have my trusty 8800 GT playing most games @ 1920x1080 with high (and in some cases very high) settings, with acceptable performance.

Only in games like Crysis or Metro 2033 is that not possible (Metro 2033 is actually the worse of the two in that regard, since I can play Crysis @ that resolution fairly well, while Metro is quite choppy)

Although I'm thinking of upgrading to either the upcoming GTX 560 or a HD 6950, a 8800 GT/GTX performance class graphics card is still very relevant, even today.

Also, have a look at this very recent article, where the author included a 8800 GTX:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20126/14

I was honestly considering picking up an 8800/4850 until two days ago. There was a HotDeal posted for an HIS 6850 for $140 shipped. :)

But thanks anyway for all the great advice everyone, I'm sure someone looking for a GPU in this price range will benefit from this. As for me, I'll be running cool, quiet, and with DX11. :)

My son inherited my old gaming box with an e6700 and 8800GTX. All his games (i.e. Batman, Black-Ops, Wolfenstein, etc.) play great at 1650x1080 with MAX settings, albeit with AA disabled.

Im still using my 8800gtx in my main gaming rig. Simply put, its time for an upgrade and has been for quite some time now. Sure, you can play todays games but dont think of playing them on "high" at 1650x1080. BF BC2 is rather rough on medium with 2xMSAA and 16xAF. CoD:BO gives me betseen 40 and 50FPS on avg, diping well into the 30fps at least 30% of a round.

I would highy suggest looking at a newer tech card instead. But as others said, it was amazing forits time. Hell, it lasted me four years! Before this card, the average GPU lasted me maybe 1.5 years if I was lucky.

8800gts 512, volt modded and put on an aftermarket zalman cooler, some mosfets on the ram etc. flashed rom to be 760mhz gpu stock. that card was the love of my life, sad to let it go :'(

My wife inherited my Core 2 Duo 6600/8800GTX combo and it surprisingly runs almost anything you throw at it at 16x10. No, can't max Crysis/Metro 2033 and you can't turn on things like PhysX...but for most games it's plenty. Stuff like Bioshock 2, Dragon Age, Portal, Batman, etc. is all fine. Console ports are, too.
It always shocks me how well that system has held up over the last 4-5 years

8800GTX isn't quite a rival to the HD4850, but it's certainly quite close to the current HD5750. What I will say though is most 8800s, especially the G80 ones have already failed. How long that one has left is a mystery. For the sake of $50 feel free to try it, but with considerably superior cards like the HD5770 for around $120 that will use two thirds the amount of power, it's really a personal decision.

My wife inherited my Core 2 Duo 6600/8800GTX combo and it surprisingly runs almost anything you throw at it at 16x10. No, can't max Crysis/Metro 2033 and you can't turn on things like PhysX...but for most games it's plenty. Stuff like Bioshock 2, Dragon Age, Portal, Batman, etc. is all fine. Console ports are, too.
It always shocks me how well that system has held up over the last 4-5 years

Same for me. Built the same rig in November of 2006 and am just now about to upgrade to a 2500k. Going to keep my 8800gtx until at least summer or fall.

I agree with Domingo and finberg. I have an ATI 3870 that is close to being the same specs as 8800 and it still performs well on almost every game i throw at it. Although i am looking to upgrade soon since i got a new monitor with a higher resolution.

Back