is the 360 worth getting

qtip

Weaksauce
all i see coming out for this system are shooters. Where are the rpgs, fighters, and adventure games at. I know the x360 is a powerful system and all but i would figure that playing nothing but shooters would get a little boring. Does anyone else feel this way as well? please share.

I've only played Condemned and Tomb Raider on my 360, and i would say they both have been awesome... and neither of those would i classify as a FPS (Condemned is much too slow for that).

I think you're research is lacking because quite honestly.. there aren't a whole lot of first person shooters coming. Go look up these titles...

Gears of War
Too Human
Mass Effect
Viva Pinata
Lost Planet
Lost Odessey
Blue Dragon
Ninety-Nine Nights

some good shooters coming are
Shadowrun
Halo 3
Huxley
Bioshock
Prey

I have been gaming since near 1984 and the 360 is my favorite gaming machine ever. It comes highly recommended. :D

For an RPG you've got Oblivion

Tomb Raider is certainly not a shooter.

Then there's Burnout Revenge, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and Project Gotham Racing 3 for driving games.

Dead or Alive 4 and Rumble Roses for fighting.

Geometry Wars and Marble Blast Ultra on Xbox Live Arcade are ridiculously fun games, and cheap too.

Some people liked the King Kong game.

All these games are out now, so i'm not sure why you say that all you see are first person shooters.

Also, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter is a great tactical military game. It's a shooter, but played from the third person point of view, and also a ton of fun. Don't pass that one up.

qtip said:
all i see coming out for this system are shooters. Where are the rpgs, fighters, and adventure games at. I know the x360 is a powerful system and all but i would figure that playing nothing but shooters would get a little boring. Does anyone else feel this way as well? please share.
No. My game collection has a total of two "shooters" (is that even a genre?), and calling PDZ and GRAW similar is just wrong on so many levels. Oblivion, PGR 3, FF XI, and DOA 4 - that's a good bit of variety.

So, yes, I think your criticism is invalid.

-Erwos

Simple answer for "is the xbox360 worth getting?"...YES!

My favorite games so far; Condemned, Kameo, and GRAW. Then there is XBL Arcade. OMG some of those games are so addicting. Havent play Oblivion yet, but its on my list to play.

360 is worth it, but honestly i would wait till the holidays for the redesign. (if you can wait that long.)

I had one on release and i love the system, but since they are going to fix those minor annoying flaws, i think its better to wait till then.

The flaws I'm talking about is, the fuckin wind tunnel they got cooling the thing. The box is LOUD. I mean loud enough that if its 2 am and you're playing in a small room with the sound down, all you will hear is the fans cooling the thing, not only that If you are actually playing a game, (not on the dashboard or arcade) the DVD rom spins ridiculous fast and makes things even more loud.

but like I said, thats if you like gaming in a quiet environment. If thats not an issue, go ahead and get one, it prolly wont bother you then.

but yeah, 65nm processor, less fans, quieter DVD rom, oh and maybe even a price drop by then. so yeah Im waiting till christmas.

I'm waiting for the 65nm console to get mine, and I think I actually do want to go through with it and purchase one, then. But I think the OP's criticism is certainly valid (and yes, the thing is LOUD, NOT meant to be played in a quiet environment).

There are way too many shooting games (FPS, tactical, 3rd person, whatever they're still shooters) on the system. I don't want to buy the system that offers a shitload of shooting and racing games, since I prefer shooters on the PC anyway. Oblivion alone is a good reason to get an X360, but I'm playing that on my high-end PC anyway. They need to diversify the lineup, and as Peter Moore found out at E3, Viva Pinata isn't going to magically make your system diverse on its own.

LeviathanZERO said:
360 is worth it, but honestly i would wait till the holidays for the redesign. (if you can wait that long.)

I had one on release and i love the system, but since they are going to fix those minor annoying flaws, i think its better to wait till then.

The flaws I'm talking about is, the fuckin wind tunnel they got cooling the thing. The box is LOUD. I mean loud enough that if its 2 am and you're playing in a small room with the sound down, all you will hear is the fans cooling the thing, not only that If you are actually playing a game, (not on the dashboard or arcade) the DVD rom spins ridiculous fast and makes things even more loud.

but like I said, thats if you like gaming in a quiet environment. If thats not an issue, go ahead and get one, it prolly wont bother you then.

but yeah, 65nm processor, less fans, quieter DVD rom, oh and maybe even a price drop by then. so yeah Im waiting till christmas.

Geez, that sounds really annoying. Is it really that loud? I would kick the thing in the head if I bought it and it was a little buzzsaw..

I don't know about the noise, I was playing fight night with my buddy while his wife was sleeping, so we had to keep it down, and I didn't hear anything :/

I don't actually own the console though, plus I believe I was extremely busy trying to knock him the f*** out :p

Mine is loud, but once i start playing i don't even notice it. Maybe i just have the volume turned up too high, i dunno. If you're letting it idle on the Dashboard while doing other stuff then you might notice it. The DVD drive is pretty loud when it spins up, and is noticeable even when playing.

Definitely worth it if you plan to get on Xbox live. Might or might not be worth it if you only play offline. If you like Oblivion the 360 would be worth it for that title alone.

Mine is pretty quiet despite having the "loud" DVD drive. The fans are very quiet and you really can't hear them unless you're very close to the system. The DVD drive is much louder than the fans, and is the only part I can really hear on my system. It's not so loud that it's distracting and when I'm playing a game I don't notice it at all.

It's a great system, but YMMV depending on the types of games you're looking for.

It has strong support from American developers.
On the flip side, its support from Japanese developers is not as solid as you'd be accustomed to on a Sony or Nintendo console...

BUT, as should always be the rule, if there are several exclusive titles that you're incredibly excited about, then go for the system. Lost Planet is looking awesome. ;)

If you can wait, then I would suggest waiting for the 65nm as the others before me have suggested.

Seriously ? Just go look up Gears of War footage, and Mass Effect. Those two titles alone are system sellers.

"Worth it" is just so personally subjective. I guess I see it like you are saying though, it has a lot of shooters, and I am not really interested in shooters. Also, it's very very expensive, and so are the games. For me it's not worth it, reguardless of how nice it may seem spec-wise.

coming from a sony stanboy, the 360 is worth it.

im not gonna lie, before i used live i thought the shit was wack. but it's real cool yo. dling demos, trailers, all the e3 content. plus playin graw online is fun as hell. im always gettin shot the fuck up, but im still havin fun.

enchanted arms looks pretty cool (jap rpg), dead rising looks like mindless ent, and u got all ur racing/sports games. tho i neva played it, ppl been saying kameo's a real good game

u bring up a good point tho, neva realized there were so many damn shooters for the 360

Kameo's a decent platformer, though i haven't finished yet. The one time i played coop was really cool too. Nice environments and lots of variety.

mass effect is sealing it for me. I'd love to see what the kotor boys do with their own story.

beanman101283 said:
Kameo's a decent platformer, though i haven't finished yet. The one time i played coop was really cool too. Nice environments and lots of variety.

Kameo was definately a huge surprise, as I had a lot more fun with it than I thought I would. The graphics are sound are just amazing if you have an HDTV with a 5.1 channel sound system.

Dead Rising, Mass Effect and Prey look awesome. I'm not normally into the RPG genre but Mass Effect just looks so good.

The 360 is a great system definitely go for it. It has racing games, sports games, fighting games, first person shooters, adventure games ... pretty much everything you can want. And their are a whole shitload of games coming out through August.

Where the original Xbox really hurt, and where the 360 is still really hurting, but apparently getting at least a little better, was with RPGs. There are still no real traditional RPGs released for the 360, though there is Oblivion if that sort of free form game is your thing. Blue Dragon and Enchanted Arms both look very interesting, and Mass Effect at least has good visuals, with the real time battle system I figure I am going to have to try that one out first before I make a final call.

As for other great games, DOA4 is the best fighting game I have ever played, Burnout Revenge is loads of fun, especially multiplayer, Kameo is a pretty decent platformer, and for a war/tactical game you can't beat BF2.

All in all, yes, it is worth it. If you have a HDTV the visuals are amazing, and I am really looking forward to the next Madden and NCAA on it (considering how Madden '06 was rushed and crippled for the 360, I want to see what a full development cycle will bring).

EDIT:

By the way, the noise isn't from the fans, it's from the banshee somebody in the Dark Arts office of MS transfigured into a DVD drive. It isn't that noticeable once you get playing and things start going boom, especially if you have a decent surround sound system. If you are just going to be playing through TV speakers (I can't see how anyone manages to stand that anymore) or are playing a really quiet/moody type of game, yes you can hear it.

If you are after user testimonial then I can tell you that the 360 is a great console. I play mine all the time, whether it be PGR, Far Cry, or the demos off Live. I have Kameo and a a couple of other titles too including GRAW. All good games if you ask me.

XBox Live just gets better and better. Live Anywhere sounds really great and I can see how they are going for the XBox 360 and Live becoming extensions of your "digital life style" i guess. The integration plans they have for Live, 360, Vista and god knows what else in the future has me really excited.

XBLA is an entity in its own right, again its just brilliant, small, cheap games that are fun as hell to play.

All the plans announced at E3 have really made me glad that I got a 360. I have had good use out of it since I bought it and now I can see that I am going to get even more use out of it in the future. The upcoming wave of games look great as do the plans for the system and feature set.

The 360 is loud? What's so loud about it? I haven't noticed any thing out of the ordinary. I can hear the fan going if i put my ear next to it, but the fans on my projector or plasmas are even louder than that. I certainly can't hear the 360 when i'm 3-4' away from it.

moralpanic said:
The 360 is loud? What's so loud about it? I haven't noticed any thing out of the ordinary. I can hear the fan going if i put my ear next to it, but the fans on my projector or plasmas are even louder than that. I certainly can't hear the 360 when i'm 3-4' away from it.

It's the DVD drive that is loud, apparently MS used two different types, the Samsung drives are fairly quiet, the Hitachi drives are quite loud.

NulloModo said:
Where the original Xbox really hurt, and where the 360 is still really hurting, but apparently getting at least a little better, was with RPGs. There are still no real traditional RPGs released for the 360, though there is Oblivion if that sort of free form game is your thing. Blue Dragon and Enchanted Arms both look very interesting, and Mass Effect at least has good visuals, with the real time battle system I figure I am going to have to try that one out first before I make a final call.

As for other great games, DOA4 is the best fighting game I have ever played, Burnout Revenge is loads of fun, especially multiplayer, Kameo is a pretty decent platformer, and for a war/tactical game you can't beat BF2.

All in all, yes, it is worth it. If you have a HDTV the visuals are amazing, and I am really looking forward to the next Madden and NCAA on it (considering how Madden '06 was rushed and crippled for the 360, I want to see what a full development cycle will bring).

EDIT:

By the way, the noise isn't from the fans, it's from the banshee somebody in the Dark Arts office of MS transfigured into a DVD drive. It isn't that noticeable once you get playing and things start going boom, especially if you have a decent surround sound system. If you are just going to be playing through TV speakers (I can't see how anyone manages to stand that anymore) or are playing a really quiet/moody type of game, yes you can hear it.

I am also really looking foward to Madden 07 for the X360. Madden 06 next gen was so frickin beautiful, but with a lack of just about everything. I really want career mode to come back.

At this point in time I can't convince myself to shell out 500 bucks for the system and one game plus another 50 to renew my XBL account. I'm either waiting for a revision,a bundle, a price drop or just a game that I feel I really need. Gears of War maybe? I don't know.

You guys say Costco has Premiums bundled w/ games for <500 at Costco? What game?

"There are too many shooters for this console, therefore I won't get it."

OK, ladies and gents, what's wrong with this statement. Oh, I got it, it's full of crap.

If you can't stand the fact that there are a lot of FPS games for the 360, don't get an FPS game. There are plenty of other games to keep you company.

Especially in the RPG department, you won't be skimped: there's Oblivion, and in terms of Japanese RPGs, Enchanted Arms comes out in the summer and there's Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey after that.

PWMK2 said:
Especially in the RPG department, you won't be skimped: there's Oblivion, and in terms of Japanese RPGs, Enchanted Arms comes out in the summer and there's Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey after that.
More than that, even: if you use backwards-compat a bit, Jade Empire, KoToR, and KoToR II are all available. I can say from experience that Jade Empire works like a charm, and looks beautiful.

I am really, really looking forward to the American release of Culdcept Saga. Not quite an RPG, but unique and fun in its own way.

-Erwos

too human looks sweet, as does gears of war and, of course, halo 3. the good news is that, by the time theyre out, the price might have had a significant drop, just like the original xbox did a year into its life.

Back