Is the 360 suffering from the same problems as the original XBOX?

MrSatan

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2004
Messages
254
I wanted to pick up a 360 on launch day and I even tried hard to get one. To my dismay I ended up with nothing but a corded 360 controller. A month later, I looked back on how the 360 is performing and to me it seems like a good thing that I didn't get one. For one thing, it is suffering from the problems that the original XBOX suffered from, mainly not having enough exclusive titles. One of the big draws for me to get one was for Elder Scrolls Oblivion. Now that I upgraded my pc so it can play that game I dont really need a 360. Also I can have the best of both worlds by plugging the 360 controller into the PC. A few other titles that are coming for 360, but also PC are Blazing Angels, GRAW, and even Condemned is making its way here. The next problem it is facing is piracy. Apparently they have cracked the first 360 iso and are even close to having a working 360 modchip. If you remember how blatently hackable the original Xbox was, you think that Microsoft would have taken more measures to protect their rights. The PS2 took a while to get pirated games running as smoothly as they do now on the Xbox. Because now the Xbox is completely hacked, hell you can even turn it into a Linux box if you want. To me the 360 still seems a glorified PC and that will never change my opinion from being a Playstation lover.
 

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
7,438
In short, No.

The modchip rumors are just that rumors. In fact, there is no actual evidence that ANYONE is remotely close to a modchip. After launch some guys hacked in to an un protected demo disk located at a 360 kiosk.. OOOOO lol. Thats it.

Exclusives this go around is totally the opposite. Now granted at launch there aren't a huge list of exclusives but.. if you do some research about future 2006 360 titles you will only DROOL at what exclusives are coming to the 360. Gears of War for one ... I'm at work so I do not have the info handy but if you do some home work you can find a HUGE list of exclusive titles coming to the 360 and nothing else. Also MS has signed on TONS of Japanese devs this go around, to help improve titles variety.

I think that the only problem with the 360 is ... that right now.. near after launch the 'average' joe looking for info isn't going to find enough to convice them. Truth be told, the 360 is going to be offering so much its near unbelieveable.. and it sounds like you have little to no knowledge about the console/game titles in general. Not your fault though because easy information isn't really out there ... GRAW will be good as will Oblivion. My PC will run both, but I happen to own a 61" DLP.. so I'd much rather play in 720p in HD on my TV then my crummy 19" monitor LOL.

But to answer your question, do more research.. there are countless exclusives coming to the 360 just this year alone. Most of them releasing after E3. So yes, since launch... not many exclusives.. but many were delayed which is good. Make them good, instead of rushed.

Buy your 360, and 'jump in' to next gen. Its very worth it :)
 

Tetrahedron

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
1,579
SmashTV over LIVE nuff said!



plus all those nex-gen games like FN3 help make the 360 worth it
 

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,985
theNoid said:
Also MS has signed on TONS of Japanese devs this go around, to help improve titles variety.
Good post, except for this misleading little tidbit. Off the top of my head, I can think of Namco, Team Ninja, Mistwalker, and... well... maybe Kojima? If you're looking for Japanese titles, you're better off getting a Playstation or even a Nintendo system, as Microsoft has not impressed the Japanese audiences yet again, (temporarily?) sealing their fate in the land of the rising sun. Japanese devs aren't going to care so much if their titles aren't going to sell to a very large home audience.
 
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Messages
2,352
halo 3.....game over :p

N3, gears of war, oblivion, farcry Instincts predator, graw, battlefield2 modern combat, ut2k7, burnout and pgr series, forza motorsport 2,

thats what IM looking forward to in the year 2006
 

chojin_1999

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
142
If the Xbox 360 gets Virtua Fighter 5 (with Live! this would be freakin' sweet), then I'm getting a 360. You should only buy a system if the games a system has are to your tastes. Also, every console launch has had only a few games available. I usually waited to buy a console until the game I actually wanted was available.
 

Syphon Filter

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
2,597
Its a great console period. Most people who have one are really enjoying it (me included). I still play PC games...but at the moment the 360 is getting a lot of use. And in March there are a handful of titles that look really promising coming out like GRAW and Far Cry.

If you think the 360 has games that you like the look of and would play I say go for it...
 

omega-x

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
3,073
bigger HDD's, a pricedrop and available mod chip will only increase sales.
XBMC will turn it into a PROPER media center (rather than this linked to a windows media center PC bs)
 

B. W.

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
2,178
I don't think the Xbox 360 is suffering from the same problems that plagued the origional Xbox, but there are obvious issues to mention.
  • Availability
  • Premuim and Core systems
  • Average launch titles
  • Price for extras ($60 games, $60 Xbox Live subscription, $100 hard drive, $40 controllers, etc.)
I saw 5 Core systems at my local Bestbuy that just opened, and someone traded in one at my local EB. I've never seen a Premium anywhere (besides the two systems my friend picked up).

At this point, I'm not even interested. I might pick one up in a few more months in the console's life, but not right now.
 

ManicOne

Gawd
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
731
Have any of you people checked the latest Oblivion hands-on reviews circling? The X360 version is said to have performed on par with a high end pc. I'm personally a pc gamer bit this does auger well for the X360.
 

B. W.

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
2,178
ManicOne said:
Have any of you people checked the latest Oblivion hands-on reviews circling? The X360 version is said to have performed on par with a high end pc. I'm personally a pc gamer bit this does auger well for the X360.
I'm not trying to start a flame war or hijack the thread, but remember that the Xbox 360 is running at 720p max.

I haven't seen any "reviews", but I'm pretty sure any highend PC could keep up at that resolution.
 

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
5,956
I think it is a bit to early in the game to begin assesing the rights and wrongs. Let the development cycle take its course a bit, then you'll have a better indication.
 
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Messages
2,352
B. W. said:
I'm not trying to start a flame war or hijack the thread, but remember that the Xbox 360 is running at 720p max.

I haven't seen any "reviews", but I'm pretty sure any highend PC could keep up at that resolution.
....just to evaluate a 3.4ghz P4 dell running a X1800XT video card(might have been a 1900xt, im not sure) running 1280x768 looked visually near identical according to some previewer...and both choked about the same.....now please go away
 

Marvelous

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Messages
4,117
I think xbox 360 is getting little better. Xbox and xbox 360 have too many same old FPS or racing games. Remakes of the same thing. There isn't too many good role playing games or fighting games. IF xbox 360 can do that then they might compete with Sony but I doubt they'll get anywhere with this generation.
 

rhexis

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
1,313
Ballz2TheWallz said:
....just to evaluate a 3.4ghz P4 dell running a X1800XT video card(might have been a 1900xt, im not sure) running 1280x768 looked visually near identical according to some previewer...and both choked about the same.....now please go away
can you provide a link for this "review?"
 

Siciliano

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
132
Honestly, 1080i doesn't look bad either. In some ways, it's sharper then 720p.

Perfect Dark Zero online is honestly, horrible though. And Madden 06 sucks as a football game. However, I'm getting Fight Night 3 today, and I can't wait for The Outfit demo and GRAW. Honestly, for 400 dollars, it's pretty damn on par with a high end PC. Finally, my friends who are uninitiated to pc gaming will know what HDR, bloom effects, and normal mapping might be.
 

|MaguS|

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
1,935
chojin_1999 said:
If the Xbox 360 gets Virtua Fighter 5 (with Live! this would be freakin' sweet), then I'm getting a 360.
The chances of that are pretty slim though, PS2 got Virtua Fighter 4 as an exclusive and the Arcade version of Virtua Fighter 5 is running hardware very close to what the PS3 is. Sega has been known to support Sony more then MS aswell (being a Japanese company and all) so there is a bigger chance of it releasing on the PS3 then the X360... but who knows... might come out on both (Yet again, Many developers are stating ports will be fewer between the consoles due to different architecture).
 

bazylik

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 18, 2005
Messages
1,405
OP I know the feeling, it's called denial (no pun intentended) I was furious when I couldn't get the 360 because I wanted one so badly for few games. You still want one but can't find it anywhere. I was pissed that I made few remarks toward MS and talked smack about MS as well, hell even said to myself that I wouldn't be getting one. Then one day I turned on the 360 tracker and it showed that my local BB has them in stock I gave it a shot and I'm beating the shit out of Ridge Racer right now and few other games all happy.
 

Masume

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 4, 2005
Messages
274
To me the 360 still seems a glorified PC and that will never change my opinion from being a Playstation lover.
Your opinion is duly noted.
However it is quite difficult to compare a console to one that doesn't exist yet :)
 

chojin_1999

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 7, 2005
Messages
142
|MaguS| said:
The chances of that are pretty slim though, PS2 got Virtua Fighter 4 as an exclusive and the Arcade version of Virtua Fighter 5 is running hardware very close to what the PS3 is. Sega has been known to support Sony more then MS aswell (being a Japanese company and all) so there is a bigger chance of it releasing on the PS3 then the X360... but who knows... might come out on both (Yet again, Many developers are stating ports will be fewer between the consoles due to different architecture).
Bah! I can hope. I love the Live! service. "IF" Sony has their own online system that is just as good as Live! then I'll go that way. It was pretty stupid for Sega to release VF4 Final Tuned on the PS2. Playing against easy virtual Japanese players was kinda stupid. That game should have been a Live! enabled game all the way.
 

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
7,438
B. W. said:
I don't think the Xbox 360 is suffering from the same problems that plagued the origional Xbox, but there are obvious issues to mention.
  • Availability
  • Premuim and Core systems
  • Average launch titles
  • Price for extras ($60 games, $60 Xbox Live subscription, $100 hard drive, $40 controllers, etc.)
I saw 5 Core systems at my local Bestbuy that just opened, and someone traded in one at my local EB. I've never seen a Premium anywhere (besides the two systems my friend picked up).

At this point, I'm not even interested. I might pick one up in a few more months in the console's life, but not right now.
1. I got one first try 3rd week of December walking into a Target in Southern California
2. 2 systems allows the consumer to buy what they need most, and possibly save money. A good thing
3. Launch titles are amazing, not the best ever but the are keeping me busy.
3. 1st party titles are $49 and only third party are $59. I didn't have to buy a $100 HD because it comes with the Premium package. I got 2 wireless controllers at a Toys R US blowout sale for $18 each.

Your points while somewhat valid ... are moot, and unrealistic.

Those who want the 360 to fail, (not you btw) are will to say what they can to make it appear so. In fact in the US, Europe, Mexico, Korea and soon to be Hong Kong the 360 is sold out everywhere and people still continue to pay hundreds more at eBay to get thier hands on one. The idea that the launch was bad, is a lie ... spread by Nintendo and Sony fan-boys. <-- period The fact that Japan isn't jumping onboard doesn't shock anyone.. it was to be expected.

The 360 as far as I'm concerned will probably be the best next gen console 'for me.' I do not support Sony whatsoever. I do not believe in how they opperate and refuse to give them money. The PS3 will be great, about as great as the 360.. with games I am not interested in.. so my decision is easy. The Rev is a secondary console, a weaker powered console that doesn't support HD, and I may pick one up a year or so after launch for cheap on eBay to pass the time. I just have no desire to continue playing Mario and Zelda... I did that 15 years ago and retired those franchises.

Ultimately though everyone is different so you cannot please anyone. But the 360 is a phenomical console, and in my opinion coupled with Live (Marketplace, Arcade) and all that the 360 offers simply cannot be beaten. I cannot see how Sony or Nintendo could even come close to matching a service like Live on their first attempt with little to no funding behind it. MS is 4 years deep with Live and has invested hundres of millions into the technology, not to mention done thousand of hours of research into what the end user wants. The final product is near untouchable if you ask me, and if either Sony or Nintendo create something 1/2 of what Live is .. I'll tip my hat to them.
 

WorldRunner

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
454
theNoid said:
1. I got one first try 3rd week of December walking into a Target in Southern California
2. 2 systems allows the consumer to buy what they need most, and possibly save money. A good thing
3. Launch titles are amazing, not the best ever but the are keeping me busy.
3. 1st party titles are $49 and only third party are $59. I didn't have to buy a $100 HD because it comes with the Premium package. I got 2 wireless controllers at a Toys R US blowout sale for $18 each.

Your points while somewhat valid ... are moot, and unrealistic.

Those who want the 360 to fail, (not you btw) are will to say what they can to make it appear so. In fact in the US, Europe, Mexico, Korea and soon to be Hong Kong the 360 is sold out everywhere and people still continue to pay hundreds more at eBay to get thier hands on one. The idea that the launch was bad, is a lie ... spread by Nintendo and Sony fan-boys. <-- period The fact that Japan isn't jumping onboard doesn't shock anyone.. it was to be expected.

The 360 as far as I'm concerned will probably be the best next gen console 'for me.' I do not support Sony whatsoever. I do not believe in how they opperate and refuse to give them money. The PS3 will be great, about as great as the 360.. with games I am not interested in.. so my decision is easy. The Rev is a secondary console, a weaker powered console that doesn't support HD, and I may pick one up a year or so after launch for cheap on eBay to pass the time. I just have no desire to continue playing Mario and Zelda... I did that 15 years ago and retired those franchises.

Ultimately though everyone is different so you cannot please anyone. But the 360 is a phenomical console, and in my opinion coupled with Live (Marketplace, Arcade) and all that the 360 offers simply cannot be beaten. I cannot see how Sony or Nintendo could even come close to matching a service like Live on their first attempt with little to no funding behind it. MS is 4 years deep with Live and has invested hundres of millions into the technology, not to mention done thousand of hours of research into what the end user wants. The final product is near untouchable if you ask me, and if either Sony or Nintendo create something 1/2 of what Live is .. I'll tip my hat to them.
Yeah the marketplace and the achievement points/gamer score is probably the most brilliant business decision MS could have made w/ launching a new console.

The gamerscores have increased their game sales (especially on games like Gun, Ridge Racer, etc) well over what they'd be w/ no motivation to play the game. Plus... there's no more "Man...I owned that last level of <insert game here>" because if it's not in your profile...it didn't happen :D

The marketplace has turned into a cash cow for MS. Just wait until they have even better products and more of a user base.
 

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
One thing I did notice looking back at the launch...


...where are all the

"MS NEEDS TO RECALL THE 360"
"Rushed product"
"faulty <insertwhatchamacallitcomponent> is causing fire/warped discs and killing babies"
"massive failure rates"
"Widespread epidermis, epicenter...epidemic...dammit, wide spread disaster"

people at? Where are all the "mark my words there will be a recall" people? The fact of the matter is that, as we have said all along, people were just blowing stuff out of proportion...like they always do. The mainstream media didn't help.

The Xbox 360 has its own set of issues but I do not think it is suffering from anything the original Xbox did.


Oh, by the way...all those doom sayers are now harping on the PS3 :rolleyes: . *Sigh*
 

WorldRunner

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
454
Also, I'm thinking MS has already decided how they will combat piracy.

If you want the newest games, want to be able to go online, want to be able to get BC you're going to have to update your system through live.

Doing this will screw you when/if you have a mod chip. Obviously you can choose to not update but then you'll be passing on a plethora of features.

Every time a new mod chip is released... MS will release an update that detects said chip.

Obviously not EVERY time...but you get the idea. This is one of the reasons all games are live aware. And since you won't be updated you probably won't be getting achievement points, etc on your bootleg games.
 

K600

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
1,136
Software is sort of a problem now, but can anyone cite an instance other than the Dreamcast where this wasn't the case? There is typically a slump after launch because;

1. If developers didn't make launch, they're finally going to relax and simply let the development process flow more naturally.

2. Spring/Summer aren't typically very active times for high-profile games anyways (Most publishers release some BS PR story and say that it wasn't done to justify delaying it to the Christmas season, which is their highest selling point).

3. Some developers can't afford to commit until they know the system will have a worthy installed base (Which the X360 has now).
 

flapbreaker

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
220
MrSatan said:
I wanted to pick up a 360 on launch day and I even tried hard to get one. To my dismay I ended up with nothing but a corded 360 controller. A month later, I looked back on how the 360 is performing and to me it seems like a good thing that I didn't get one. For one thing, it is suffering from the problems that the original XBOX suffered from, mainly not having enough exclusive titles. One of the big draws for me to get one was for Elder Scrolls Oblivion. Now that I upgraded my pc so it can play that game I dont really need a 360. Also I can have the best of both worlds by plugging the 360 controller into the PC. A few other titles that are coming for 360, but also PC are Blazing Angels, GRAW, and even Condemned is making its way here. The next problem it is facing is piracy. Apparently they have cracked the first 360 iso and are even close to having a working 360 modchip. If you remember how blatently hackable the original Xbox was, you think that Microsoft would have taken more measures to protect their rights. The PS2 took a while to get pirated games running as smoothly as they do now on the Xbox. Because now the Xbox is completely hacked, hell you can even turn it into a Linux box if you want. To me the 360 still seems a glorified PC and that will never change my opinion from being a Playstation lover.
DO you own an HD TV? I suspect that you don't because I don't know too many HDTV owners out there that are happy playing console games at the lower resolution that the orginal xbox and ps2 provide. That alone is worth 399. Everyone out there should take a look at EA fight night 3. It's awesome.
 

[T5K]thrasher

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 15, 2001
Messages
2,359
theNoid said:
My PC will run both, but I happen to own a 61" DLP.. so I'd much rather play in 720p in HD on my TV then my crummy 19" monitor LOL.
Wow, I would have thought some one that has all that would be able to figure out that they are all interconnectable. You could run the mighty xbox on the crappy 19" monitor and the lowly PC on the giant DLP.

I do both
:p

Have had a cube hooked up to my 21" monitor and my old game PC/laptop on my 100" projection setup.
 

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
7,438
Steve said:
Oh, by the way...all those doom sayers are now harping on the PS3 :rolleyes: . *Sigh*
hah! Steve, I was just about to say that.

Sadly all the hype for a console builds prior to lanch, so that 'oh so crazy' talked about 360 hype isn't as apparent now that its 'out.' Now the PS3 and Rev are next. they'll go through huge hype phases ... and people will again sadly spread more false rumors about both of them as well :(

But luckily once all 3 are out... these types of heated discussions will calm down and we'll just stick to gaming and at most hyping a future game title :p
 
Top