Is the 280X something I should save for with 1920x1080?

I've got an HD 6850 right now. It's aging. I am looking at the 7870, and can get it tomorrow for around $149 - $50 gift card - $10 rebate at Tigerdirect nearby. It would drop the price to $90 and up my gaming capabilities. I picked up BF4 tonight, and am running Medium but it's getting old and the card is struggling a bit.

So here's the games I am gonna run in the near future...

BF4
Arkham Origins
Wildstar
Payday2
Titanfall
Edit; sorry need to add: Black Flag/Watchdogs/GTA5 when it comes out
Other games, which are older and really wouldn't tax a newer card.

I am currently running

i5-2500k
8GB memory
SSD and HDD mix
Windows 8.1

I'd like to spend money elsewhere when it comes to Christmas, and if I get computer money after Christmas (maybe from the wife or family) I could put that money aside for the next revision of cards maybe in the next 6 months or so. But the 7870 would be a great upgrade right now, yes...? I don't plan on upgrading my monitors soon, if that helps. Thoughts? Thanks friends.

Yes people have been succeeding at it. The 7970 and 280X are the same card and chip, its just the 280X has a newer bios that gets better performance. You need certain combinations of cards are BIOSs. The 7970 vapor x can be flashed to a 280x vapor x.

I picked up a 7870. Nice upgrade for now. I'll wait until the next revision (after 280Xs etc) to upgrade again.

With the current reliability of the R9s, I'd say that's wise. The HD7870 is a considerable step up from the HD6850, probably a good 60%^ or more performance boost. If that covers what you want to do performance-wise, you may as well wait for the generation after the 200 series which will hopefully be designed with a little bit more care and attention! :)

Yeah, I noticed my HD 6850 was chuggin' well for the past 2 years (got it early '11). It felt like some games played underwater when I cranked up the detail, but that little card is so damn faithful and I could really feel it when I picked up BF4 on Friday. My wife is going to inherit it as she plays games that require much less power. So it's a win-win for the both of us.

If that covers what you want to do performance-wise, you may as well wait for the generation after the 200 series which will hopefully be designed with a little bit more care and attention!

Yeah, it does! BF4 on Ultra with no AA is just fine for me and I am enjoying it. Waiting on Wildstar to release and I should be okay for now!

While the 7870 is a good deal for the price, you're looking at Ultra settings with low FXAA in multiplayer (to average 60FPS). FXAA looks terrible in the game. On the contrary, the 280X can do far better in BF4 at 1080p...

Back