Is Supreme FX any good onboard?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
I only have Realtek I had too many issues with my Creative Card and switching back from Headphone and Speakers wasn't worth it.
So I use the onboard Realtek I noticed Supreme FX on higher end Asus boards is that chipset any good?

I only have Realtek I had too many issues with my Creative Card and switching back from Headphone and Speakers wasn't worth it.
So I use the onboard Realtek I noticed Supreme FX on higher end Asus boards is that chipset any good?
its still realtek. The difference on the best Asus boards (and Gigabyte boards), is that they sometimes use nice opamps and other decent components. and also integrate a decent headphone amp. The B550 ITX ryzen board i'm currently using from Asus, has the best dynamic range and clarity of any motherboard audio I have ever used. Gigabyte's nicer boards, should be similar.

Last edited:
No, it's shit. There's really no way around this. All these "high end audio" solutions are just taking the bog standard bottom of the barrel stuff and then goosing them up with better opamps and fancy capacitors to click off marketing boxes. It's all janked.

Get you an external DAC and be done with it. You can get a good one for like 100 bucks or so. Here you go https://www.schiit.com/products/ful...MI-f_j15Gk8gIVsNSzCh2MSgb6EAAYASAAEgJwC_D_BwE also a slew of headphones/headsets are USB now and come with their own dack, ditto for some speakers.

Dacs are extremely simple to test. 99% of DACs of any price range vary extremely little in measurements. Ask someone to plug in a dac, then another one without telling which one is used and then see if you hear a reasonable difference. Make sure not to fall into volume differences. If you can't hear a _clear_ difference one way or another, is it really worth it to spend 100 dollars? 1000 dollars? 5000 dollars? When it's garanteed that if you spend 5000 dollars to your speakers, you will hear a night and day difference.

Dacs are extremely simple to test. 99% of DACs of any price range vary extremely little in measurements. Ask someone to plug in a dac, then another one without telling which one is used and then see if you hear a reasonable difference. Make sure not to fall into volume differences. If you can't hear a _clear_ difference one way or another, is it really worth it to spend 100 dollars? 1000 dollars? 5000 dollars? When it's garanteed that if you spend 5000 dollars to your speakers, you will hear a night and day difference.

I'm not going to advocate a multi thousand dollar DAC but you can purchase one for about 100 and avoid all driver issues and other nonsense and use it through multiple builds and even with consoles, your phone, blah blah blah. It's sort of a no brainer.

I have never had any driver issues during my time with the Supreme FX back 10 years ago. Modern stuff should be much better, so I can ensure you that is nonsense. Realtek is perfectly serviceable in that manner and if the headphones or speakers you're using are equally as expensive, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using higher end onboard stuff.

You also don't need $5000 speakers to understand differences from a DAC to onboard audio. I have tested my X570 Tomahawk's onboard Realtek and compared it to my Frenchie expensive ATOLL DAC 100, and the DAC had less hiss / hum noise when volume was up. It didn't "sound" better but it had less ground noise. So that made it better by a margin for me, using speakers I paid about 500 bucks for on a sale (Dali Ikon).

I have never had any driver issues during my time with the Supreme FX back 10 years ago. Modern stuff should be much better, so I can ensure you that is nonsense. Realtek is perfectly serviceable in that manner and if the headphones or speakers you're using are equally as expensive, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using higher end onboard stuff.

You also don't need $5000 speakers to understand differences from a DAC to onboard audio. I have tested my X570 Tomahawk's onboard Realtek and compared it to my Frenchie expensive ATOLL DAC 100, and the DAC had less hiss / hum noise when volume was up. It didn't "sound" better but it had less ground noise. So that made it better by a margin for me, using speakers I paid about 500 bucks for on a sale (Dali Ikon).

Realtek generally no but when you get into other stuff it's possible if not common. The thing is with a good DAC it's driverless completely, it's not really going to go obsolete. I've always found it funny that people will throw hundreds to over a grand of GPU(s) which get upgraded constantly but won't shell out for a good set of headphones/speakers/dac/amp that will last you through builds. The schit fulla I linked above is like 120 bucks and also handles a mic. That's not bank busting. You can snag a DAC/AMP for that price or go bonkers or shoot for a 200 buck total individual DAC/AMP and then drop on some non gamer headphones from a brand like sennheiser and a quality pair of studio monitors and call it a day.

It's sort of also an ugly fact that "high end onboard" is usually tossed in along the lines of RGB and other nonsense. You don't need it and it's stupid but it's there to check boxes and drive up the cost of HALO type products. At times a lot of what you are paying for are software drivers that toss in all sorts of extra 3d or positional audio (or in ASUS case a sound radar for a bit) features that don't improve immersion or even gameplay and sound like shit.... and still aren't capable of driving real headphones and LOL.

Plus a lot of these audio companies are American and the stuff is made here and they'll let you return it for a restock fee if you don't like it. So go get a good set of cans and try one out and see!

its still realtek. The difference on the best Asus boards (and Gigabyte boards), is that they sometimes use nice opamps and other decent components. and also integrate a decent headphone amp. The B550 ITX ryzen board i'm currently using from Asus, has the best dynamic range and clarity of any motherboard audio I have ever used. Gigabyte's nicer boards, should be similar.

I have to second this. I'm using the rog strix b550-i board and after a BAD start with trying to use the front panel audio jack, I hooked my decent headphones up to the rear jacks directly on the motherboard and was very pleasantly surprised about how good it sounds. It's a decent opamp with some shielding on the audio components and it actually sounds pretty good.

Back