Is Supreme Commander worth getting?

GET IT! It's a fantastic RTS that brings many new and wonder things to RTSs. Good balancing, and huge maps. The econopmy is a bit hard to adjust to if you never played TA before but it's easy enough to pick up...

If you love giant robots then you should be kicking yourself for not already picking it up!

But it is a nice game I spotted it @ BestBuy for 9.99 last night... Not sure if that is better then what you found or not... but just and fyi...

Very solid RTS - get it.

This is RTS on a large scale. It can stress some older CPU/Video Card combo's. Anything fairly recent shouldn't have any problem

I bought it a long time ago. I thought it was a lot of fun although I only played against CPU on skirmish and online a few times. Online matches never seemed to be even seeing as I either kicked the other person's but badly or he did the same to me, maby things have changed now. Either way Dawn of War II is probably my next rts of choice.

BUY IT NOW. the only thing is you need a pretty beefy computer when you play with hundreds of units. i tested my i7 at 3.5 and sli 260's i tried to take 400 level one bombers to the enemies base and my computer took a shit when i selected all then units

BUY IT NOW. the only thing is you need a pretty beefy computer when you play with hundreds of units. i tested my i7 at 3.5 and sli 260's i tried to take 400 level one bombers to the enemies base and my computer took a shit when i selected all then units

Lower your o/c a bit then?

My x2 5000+ gets a little slow with alot of units but I've yet to have it crash ?

Back on topic.

Get it.

GJSNeptune said:
It's worth playing even if just for the build queue.

Enjoy it while you can because SupCom 2 has no build queue.

I strongly suggest getting the expansion (Forged Alliance) too.

Enjoy it while you can because SupCom 2 has no build queue.

I plan to enjoy it for a long time, since from I've seen, I've no plans to ever get SupCom2. I read that they are doing away with the economy, and the fact that it's being codeveloped for the 360 doesn't make me feel better. I mean, the 360 couldn't handle the scale of the orginal SupCom (just look at the port), so SupCom2 is going to be SupCom1 but scaled down? I thought sequels were usually bigger and better?

What idiot decided the queue should disappear? If anything, I thought they'd improve the queue by letting me interrupt it without breaking it.

I've got to agree with the above. It's a fantastic RTS. At first I found the game somewhat fast-paced, but once I got used to the mechanics of it I really enjoyed it. SupCom seems remarkably well balanced as well, and a variety of strategies have a chance of success. Don't play for the story, but the campaigns are actually rather fun as well.

Loved the game, just to really play it MP and stay competitive, but the games were too long and I didn't have enough free time to invest to good enough to enjoy MP too much.

Very fun game.

I got up the point where I could hold my own in online games and even win against some good players. I'm very out of practice now, but I had house of fun.

you have to, there's really no point in buying it now unless you get the expansion because they killed off the original community. I don't think thq is even shipping vanilla supcom anymore.

so if you buy supreme commander, you have to buy 2 games. if you're cool with that then sure it's worth getting. if you were upgrading I would say don't bother, but the gold edition is only $30 now and it comes with both. if you are looking at some bargain bin sale of plain supcom do not buy it unless you just want a dirt cheap copy to play the sp campaign and skirmishes. since then you would have to get the xpack seperately which could end up costing more.

I plan to enjoy it for a long time, since from I've seen, I've no plans to ever get SupCom2. I read that they are doing away with the economy, and the fact that it's being codeveloped for the 360 doesn't make me feel better. I mean, the 360 couldn't handle the scale of the orginal SupCom (just look at the port), so SupCom2 is going to be SupCom1 but scaled down? I thought sequels were usually bigger and better?

So they're planning on pulling a Deus Ex 2? :( :( :(

Now I'm depressed.......

It's worth it for Tactical Zoom alone IMO. Supreme Commander plays very well, it's a lot of fun. Forged Alliance campaign maps are giantic, and the way Supreme Commander allows you to interact with the game really makes the most of it.

i agree.. FA was far better then the first supcom.. they fixed a lot of the glitches.. along with the memory allocation problems the first supcom had..

its a very addicting game.. especially when you build 20 nuke silo's and 3 experimental silo's.. then fire off 103 nukes in succession.. its pretty bad ass..

and honestly.. i could care less if they get rid of the economy portion in supcom 2.. im still buying the game.. ive been a fan of the series from the beginning with total annihilation.. i own every single version thats come out.. and still play TA..

You absolutely need the Forged Alliance expansion if you buy SupCom. Don't bother with Vanilla Supcom.

Queues may not be gone, just that all things are now paid upfront. Take a gander at this thread, specifically Eric's post: http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=37500

I think what they mean is that you can que units, but each time a unit starts production, the entire quantity of resources required to build that unit is due. The way it is now, the factories production activity drains the economy for the duration of the construction.

The advantage is that at any given moment you would be able to see the resources you have and the resources required to create an additional unit. The other advantage with pay up front is that if you pay up front, other activities cannot later interrupt construction. Right now you can put an order in for 10 bombers but production on the first bomber might grind to almost a halt because you get attacked and have to throw up some turrets, going into negative mass. With pay up front, when construction starts it will always finish on time. So it would seem they are doing away with negative mass slowing you down.

Last edited:
Yeah I suggest getting it and Forged Alliance. Supcom is a lot of fun and has cutting edge technology for an RTS that no other RTS's have. I am patiently waiting for SupCom 2 :) it should be even more fun since they can concentrate more on gameplay and less on the engine (since supcom 2 will be heavily modified supcom 1 engine).

It might have run out of memory space. Once it needs more than 2GB of RAM it crashes. I wish they would release a 64bit build.

dont mean to hijack but going on what Obi said...is that a known issue with forged alliance? supcom plays flawlessly on my rig but when i try to play FA i get maybe about 20-30 mins of playtime before it crashes to desktop.

Wonderful game! SC:FA is one of the only games perpetually installed on all of my computers for LAN battles.

It might have run out of memory space. Once it needs more than 2GB of RAM it crashes. I wish they would release a 64bit build.

google "supreme commander memory allocation fix" or "supreme commander 2GB limit"

should get you the info on how to fix that problem..

dont mean to hijack but going on what Obi said...is that a known issue with forged alliance? supcom plays flawlessly on my rig but when i try to play FA i get maybe about 20-30 mins of playtime before it crashes to desktop.

what version are you running? and are you using the no limit resource mod?

the only time SC:FA goes nuts on me is when it decides it doesnt like my overclock on my 8800GT even though the overclock runs fine on every other game..

what....upfront payments? that completely ruins the economic system that TA/SC1 had going! I really liked that part of the game, not many RTS games did it this way :(

Ugh, why do companies feel the need to completely change the core of a game for the next iteration? Or do we just blame square enix for infecting supcom with a severe case of consoleitis? Don't even get me started on the "unlock tree" instead of tech levels.

If you get it, at least the plain first one, you will need mad boris' core optimiser and 3GB ram limit enabler as mentioned a few posts up.

I've read of problems for a few people who don't use these and try to play large maps.

I've been intending on picking up the Forged Alliance addition when I see it for cheap. That said, even the first version is a very cool game. The scroll wheel had ruined almost every other game for me. I can zoom in, zoom out - very natural. You expect other games to do the same, only to find they have just a bit of wiggle room. The other is this is one of the first games I've had that really make a multiple monitor configuration shine. You can have two maps - one zoomed out for a tactical overview, another monitor for the action.

I was wondering if someone can tell me how many people play multiplayer with this game? I'm thinking of buying it but want to know if it still has a lot of people playing it? I'm worried because it is a couple of years old that people haved moved on?

Am I the only person who thought SupCom was a horribly slow game? It took effing forever for a single unit to build. The physics were nice as were the graphics, but that was were the good things ended for me.

To put perspective on it, I play SOASE at its default speed settings and enjoy it.

You can increase the speed that things build, by placing things like power generators close to things and mass storage devices plus assigning engineers to help and you can spread production of large amounts of units over multiple factories.

You can pump out most units fairly fast with the right base setup.

Am I the only person who thought SupCom was a horribly slow game? It took effing forever for a single unit to build. The physics were nice as were the graphics, but that was were the good things ended for me.

To put perspective on it, I play SOASE at its default speed settings and enjoy it.

You probably just needed a heck of a lot more engineers than you had.

I was wondering if someone can tell me how many people play multiplayer with this game? I'm thinking of buying it but want to know if it still has a lot of people playing it? I'm worried because it is a couple of years old that people haved moved on?

Back