Is Stopping and Starting constantly safe for CPU Fan Longetivity

edo101

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, so my last build was an i7-930 and I cooled it with a Silver Arrow SB-E. That fan was constantly spinning and would spin up when temps got higher but it never stopped spinning. This was back in the bios days. back from 2010. The rig still runs today but as some of you know by now, I upgraded to a 10850K last week.

As such, I moved to UEFI along with it an NH-14s. In my Z490 Taichi, I didn't want to set the fan to full speed so I customized the fan curve to spin as temps went up. However I guess mobos and fans these days have a quiet mode? My issue is that the NH-14s stops and starts quiet frequently when PC is idle or i'm just surfing the web. I wanted to know if this is safe for the fan? If not, how can I make it spin all the time but also not spin high unless absolutely needed. I'd like to preserve this cooler's life. I also have an AIO Artic Freezer II 360MM coming in (which I am still debating if I'll use or just switch to air with either the NH-14s or DH-15. My goal is 5.0 all core on the 10850K with halt states and C states to lower the voltage and clock when I am not doing something streanous.

With the AIO as well, I anticpate this behavior will happen with its fans as well. so I want to know if this is safe or not, for any CPU fans. Wether it be air or AIO

My fan curve btw:
CPUfancurve.jpg

the start/stop of the fan should not effect it's longevity. The fan is magnetically driven there are not mechanical parts aside for the bearings or the fan blade. The fan will fail faster if it is running at full speed 24/7

I'd flatten the slope a little between 52 and 60 to alleviate fan ramping up and down as much when running everyday functions if they load it into that temp range otherwise should do fine.

Turns out I need to spend more time with my mobo. There is a section for Auto control under CPU Fan 2. I have moved it to PWM and set the curve like CPU fan 1. Everything works as it should now.

Thanks guys. I just prefer the fan spinning all the time cause the start stop thing worries me. Physically a fan will have more resistance starting and stopping constantly which has to i feel cause more wear than necessary. CPU fan 2 in its advanced settings was also set to silent mode. So I have corrected it now. thanks guys. Reps all around

I'd flatten the slope a little between 52 and 60 to alleviate fan ramping up and down as much when running everyday functions if they load it into that temp range otherwise should do fine.
Will do. I actually set it up like that, thinking it would cause it to immediately jump instead of constantly ramping up or ramping down. I guess thats not easier on the fan?

the start/stop of the fan should not effect it's longevity. The fan is magnetically driven there are not mechanical parts aside for the bearings or the fan blade. The fan will fail faster if it is running at full speed 24/7
Maybe, like all moving things heat and dirt are bad. Speed is a small factor.

Regarding op, it may affect your sanity more than anything. I would suggest taking fan curves.
I know for my video card I had to do this to stop the ramping up and down constantly. Possibly just increase the minimum speed a touch, should still be almost silent but may not speed up until you really get it fired up

What learners permit said. I would set it 60c@40%rpm, 70c@ 65%rpm, 80c@100%rpm. I suppose a little hotter would be okay, like 65c@40%rpm, 75c@50%rpm, 85c@100%rpm .. but I prefer peak temp to be aobut 80c, but 85c is still safe. Much depends on fan noise under heavy load being acceptable. My old 920 @ 4.3GHz is 70c@70% is 1000rpm and audible but not at all loud. That's in a 21-22c room, if it's 25c fans spin up another 100-200rpm, but that only happens on extreme hot summer days. My 3600 needs 1100rpm to stay at 75c.

Back