is sli still a thing?

sparks

2[H]4U
I see a LOT of people saying they are running 1080 and 2080 cards in SLI.
I thought that support and games had pretty much made that a thing of the past.
What is the truth?

I see a LOT of people saying they are running 1080 and 2080 cards in SLI.
I thought that support and games had pretty much made that a thing of the past.
What is the truth?

Most AAA games have SLI/Crossfire support. Its up to the developers whether or not they want multi gpu in their titles. I don't think there are "a LOT" of people using multi gpu solutions these days on [H] more people use them because its the only way to get the performance they require.

Yes, but it's only ever worth it if you already have the highest end card and want more performance. Never try to SLI two non-top tier cards in hopes of outperforming the highest end one. Also, you have the $$ to burn. You'll also sometimes need to use custom SLI bits with NVidia inspector for proper scaling or disable a setting in the game that interferes with scaling.

In the past, you also needed a 16x/16x PCI-E configuration as a lot of temporal data needs to be synchronized between cards for newer games. NVLink should help with that.

thank you for explaing it.
I just thought it was all dead now, I see I was wrong.

well I can see Nvida stopping it...they just don't have the money to support it. LOL

No SLI is not dead. Nvidia even made a new interface, NVLink, with the 20-series. I run SLI and Crossfire, and I bought two 2080 Ti's.

When it works, it's great. It's rare to get 2x performance, but 1.5x or in that range is possible on supported titles.

The issue is that not all games support multi-card, and you can run into bugs and problems frequently. Even some games that at one time supported SLI/CF stop working and the developers never fix it.

If you have a standard setup (for example, a single 1440p screen) then there is not much reason to get 2 cards. If you are running more high-end hardware, like 4K monitors, Surround/Eyefinity, etc. then it can be useful.

For example, one of my rigs has triple 1440p monitors in Surround (7680x1440 res) and no single card can run like that in newer games. So for more exotic setups, it can still be a win.

Reactions: noko
like this
NVLink isn't new; this is the first time nVidia has made it available on gaming cards.

Back